1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Possible(not sure) sexual abuse????

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by erschaefer13, Dec 1, 2015.

1. erschaefer13

So this is a little weird... But I guess it might be nessasarily? I don't know...

I don't have the slightest memory of anything weird or inappropriate happening but under the circumstances it might, emphasis on might, be possible.

Ever since I came out as transgender I've had multiple people ask if I was molested because to them that's the only way I can be who I am, my answer has always been a firm no but looking back on my past... I don't know. I hide memories very easily and forget most everything after a while, and I know my relationship with my dad was horrendous. That part of my family is so fubar... One uncle tried to kill his girl friend, one was a drug addict, my aunt was a drug dealer, and my grandmother hired a biker gang to murder her ex husband... That part of the family was so odd do you think it could be possible? Maybe a repressed memory? If it is I'm not sure I want to remember... There are other kids in that side of the family which is part of my concern... I don't put it past them to be abusive.

2. yeehaw

I believe really strongly that no one can change another person's gender or sexualorientation by abusing them. So if the root of this question for you is the fact that a lot of uninformed people have asked you if you were sexually abused because they can't think of any other way to explain the mismatch between you body and your gender, then I'd say it's probably not worth more of your thought/concern. If it feels fine to let the question go, then let it go. If you have a solid deep down gut feeling that you accidentally onto something that needs to be explored (for you) then maybe it's worth exploring (but that wasn't really the vibe I was getting from what you posted).

3. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not aware of any research (or even anecdotal data) correlating sexual abuse with being trans. Sexual abuse does often cause people to think about and question their sexual orientation but it does not, as far as we now know, have any causal effect on being gay either.

It is also possible to fully repress memories of trauma, including sexual trauma, particularly if it happens before age 7.

I would not jump to conclusions but I would not rule it out either.

You might want to get Mic Hunter's excellent book 'Abused Boys' and see if any of it resonates for you.

4. Gay1234

I agree with chip. You are bin with your gender so I would agree with his very helpful advice. I would say not to rule it out either.