1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Insomnia.

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Casi, Dec 7, 2015.

1. Casi

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Who else deals with it? How do you cope with it without using prescription sleep aids? I was on Ambien in the past but quit taking it because I felt like I was becoming dependent on it. Right now I'm trying natural stuff such as Melatonin but nothing seems to work. I get maybe 3-4 hours of sleep on a good night and it's really wearing me down. If anything works for you then please let me know!

2. lastking

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    I'm in the same boat. I've had insomnia for quite some time now and nothing seems to work. I've tried supplements, medications, changing my sleeping hygiene and habit but I can't sleep. I get an average of 4 hours of sleep sometimes too. I've memorized the sleeping rules (no caffeine, no exercise before sleep, no electronics, etc.) like rituals yet nothing seems to work. Melatonin and Ambien didn't work for me either.

I've tried the following but they haven't work, but they might work for you:
    - Natural supplements - valerian root, passionflower
    - Mindfulness (focusing on breathing)
    - Muscle relaxation
    - CBT (changing the way you think)

I also would like to hear from other insomniacs who can help. I guess right now for me it's about trial and error until I find something that works.

#2 lastking, Dec 7, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 7, 2015
  3. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Insomnia gets a lot of posts on EC - it seems to be part of the terrain...

I always suggest people google "Sleep Hygiene" - this basically gives you tips on how to ensure best sleep patterns and sleep environment.

What to do and what not to do...