1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dysphoria, weight loss

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by mothzi, Dec 8, 2015.

1. mothzi

(eating disorder trigger warning maybe)

My dysphoria is killing me and it gets worse when I weigh more, so I've been cutting back and dieting a bit. I know I'm not eating enough right now, but I don't know what else to do right now. If I monitor my calorie intake I eat too little, and if I don't monitor it I eat too much junk. I'm not really sure what advice I'm looking for, but thanks in advance anyway.

2. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    The advice doesn't seem related to the habits of penguins... Probably food, hmm...

I'm the same as you on that one : Dysphoria had always an effect on what I ate, and it hasn't changed, probably won't change until I have had surgery, since the root cause is clear.
    There is no magic formula to cope with it, just try to keep weight under control through changes in how you think about food. Processed food, fast food, etc... It is what it is : Pure shit to keep you addicted. So you have to change probably many unhealthy habits, and keep in mind 'a diet' is for life, not just something you do (or torture yourself with) for a short period.
    I tend to get 5 kg, then next month I won't eat enough and lose some weight, then gain some,etc... My weight is never fixed, and it depends on how hard dysphoria f... me up. I deal with it with strict monitoring, and then when I see I'm taking it too far, force myself to eat a decent amount for a few weeks, then the cycle starts again...

You could try sports to keep weight under control, if you are into that sort of thing, but in my experience it's better not to give weight much thought. You can also try to check it once a month, or twice a month, and plan your meals according to that.

At the end there is nothing like doctor's advice, so you'd probably have the best advice there anyways.

3. mothzi

Thanks, I know logically I should just eat healthy and excercise. I am at a healthy weight, technically. :/ Sorry to hear you're struggling too.