1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Are hardgainers (ectomorphs) real or an excuse

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by deep six, Dec 10, 2015.

1. deep six

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    So im 15 and putting on muscle is extremely hard. Im 6ft and about 120lbs on a good day. I exercise all the time but quit after a few months as to little to none results. My metabolism is ridiculously high so i can eat whatever i want without worrying about my weight(this doesn't excuse the adverse effects of certain things like sugar or gluten)I know these things take time but seriously i should have some muscle by now. The one up side to this is that Ive basically had a six pack since i was a little kid which is cool i guess.

Now to my question, according to some people i'm whats called a hardgainer or and ectomorph. This is someone who is lean and skinny who struggles to gain weight by muscle mass or body fat. So I was wondering if this is like a mental construct people create for not having motivation or am i Really just destined to be skinny forever.

Also If you've somehow overcome this obstacle could you give me some tips or workouts that have worked for you.

#1 deep six, Dec 10, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2015
  2. 101DeadRoses

Hmm, it sounds like you could just be a naturally skinny person. It might just be your natural physique, like some people are tall or short. It happens like that sometimes.
    The only thing I can tell you is stick to your exercise routine and talk to your doctor to see if it's affecting your health or caused by your health, and if there is anything you can do to gain muscle.

Besides, you might find gaining muscle easier as you grow older. My father was six feet tall and very very skinny when he was twelve, and a few years later, he could bench-press a washing machine. It could just be aging and hormones and all that crap.

As for the workouts... prepare your eyes, because they're about to be rolling. Here comes a major premature mommy moment!
    I'm sorry, but you should be worrying less about muscle bulk and growth and more about your actual health and strength.

I'd recommend yoga for beginners, working up to more advanced yoga. There are yoga videos for children and their parents, which is where I learned my yoga. I lost a decent amount of weight my first few weeks, and it helped my joints a lot. It's also good for endurance, strength and cardio, but it doesn't put on much muscle.
    I also do pushups and go on runs a lot, but I haven't been able to work out on-schedule in a while. My arms are still fairly muscular though, even though I've been slacking.

Oh, and you should take vitamins as much as you can.
    Based on your needs, allergies, etc, they can really REALLY help you out with a lot of different health and fitness goals.
    Echinacea is a miracle for your immune system, magnesium helps with muscle, nerve, and bone, cranberry tablets and capsules are good in general, and once-a-days are not to be underestimated.
    Drink tons and TONS of water, no matter your goal, and milk should definitely be part of your diet.

See? Mommy moment...
    But, really, everything I just recommended is very healthy for you, and has improved my overall health vastly from the day I started doing it, and you should probably at least start taking vitamins, even if you don't do anything else I said. :wink:

Future mommy away!

Hope you get what you need!

3. Stoccata

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Yes, "ectomorphs" in that sense are a real thing. Some people are just naturally really skinny. That being said, that certainly doesn't mean that you can't put on muscle.

The first thing you should keep in mind though is that you're only 15. At 15 you're not going to be naturally muscular to begin with, and even as you get older you're not going to put on pounds of muscle overnight, so don't expect to. It may take years to see the results you want.

That being said, I started working out when I was around 14, and since then I've put on a fair amount of muscle, so it is possible.

I'd seriously say that about 70% of putting on muscle is your diet. For optimum muscle growth you're going to want to increase your overall caloric intake, ingest at least a gram of protein per pound of body weight, and generally eat healthy. Drink lots of water and try to avoid sugary foods and drinks. If you want you can take vitamins and supplements.

As for what workout routine to do, that depends on what you have available to you, and how much time you have.

Lifting weights will give you the fastest results, but if that's not an option there are other things you can do. Additionally, if you have access to weights, it depends how many times a week you can work out. If you have less time a strength based routine may be better. If you have more time you might want to try a bodybuilding routine.

I could probably give you an example of a workout routine you could do, but I'd really need more information about the situation.

The main thing about working out regardless of what you do is consistency. You're not going to get any results by only working out for a few months.

4. Jax12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Well I'm the opposite actually: I'm 5'5 and 160 pounds. I excercise regularily, and have a protein shake before and after. I have changed towards a more balanced and less sugary diet. I do have a belly even though I can feel my abs.

I do wish I was bigger, so I can understand your frustration. I think my metabolism is not that fast.

I definitely would not be able to be skinny. I can never had a body like Justin Beiber. If anything, I'll just keep putting on more mass in the process. The same could be said for you, but I honestly don't know.

#4 Jax12, Dec 10, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 10, 2015
  5. guitar

I know enough ectomorphs to know there are people who are just naturally skinny.

I have the same problem with regards to gaining muscle. I've got an okay build, but I lift weights all the time and never been able to put on muscle. Meanwhile I have friends who barely work out and they're naturally build and strong. Genetics plays a big role.

6. AlgebraicUchiha

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I do not belive that you are destined to possess a skinny physique forever. There are some advantages to being ectomorphic:
    You can build defined muscles due to not possessing an extra layer of adipose tissue and your abdominal muscles will appear to be in a six-pack formation(I have a six-pack as well, and the majority of my good muscle lies in my biceps, back, pectorals, abdomen, the top of my quadriceps, and a tricep head. I suppose that I would be considered an ectomorph as well because I have quite a low weight despite possessing some muscle.)

My suggestion is that you follow this exercise routine of mine:
    Monday- Concentrate on the pectoral muscles and biceps. (Pyramid sets , increase number of repetitions by two per set and decrease them when you reach 12 repetitions. Execute a slow and controlled eccentric motion.) Consume 0.25 grams of your bodyweight for protein and 0.25 grams of your bodyweight for carbohydrates 2 hours prior to the exercise. Consume food immediately subsequent to the exercis's conclusion. Utilize a 40% protein, 40% carbohydrates, 20% fat ratio( I am not quite certain if you should utilize this ratio; I will change the ratio if it is the erroneous one.) Do not consume supplementary items such as creatine until you reach the age of 16 years.)
    Tuesday- Concentrate on quadriceps and the back region.
    Wednesday-Run or bike, high intensity intervals. (High speed for the duration of one minute and a period of rest for 45 seconds. Repeat the cycle)
    Thursday- Perform isometric exercises or a yoga routine for 30-45 minutes.
    Friday- Concentrate on shoulders, triceps, pectorals, and calves.
    Saturday- Perform a stretching routine
    Sunday- Read thought-provoking material.
    I will edit the post when I acquire more information.

7. AlgebraicUchiha

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Straight but curious
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    However, I suggest that you consume:
    One gram of protein per pound of bodyweight
    Two grams of carbohydrates per pound of bodyweight
    0.4 grams of fat per pound of bodyweight.