1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Am I addicted to my migraine medication?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by beckyg, Jan 25, 2009.

1. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I am not responding to my Imitrex anymore. I have had headaches 24/7 for the last month. The headaches come back at the same time. Sometimes they go away with the medication, sometimes they don't. Today, my headache hasn't responded to medication at all. I have read lately that recent studies have concluded that migraine medications are causing more headaches. So what do I do? How do I wean myself off of this stuff without jumping off the deep end? I'm in tears now from the pain.

2. missmelancholy

Out Status:
    Some people
    You really need to talk to your doctor about it. If the Imitrex isn't working, he/she may need to change your medication or dosage.

3. Ben

Ben

I don't know what ingredients are in that, but my father was addicted to codene which was in his medication so it's definitely worth checking it out. It ended up making his headaches worse in the long run, and he had to go cold turkey in the end and lay off all tablets. I'm sorry you're in so much pain, Becky. (*hug*) You really should go speak to the doctor.

4. tallship

I'm with invisible on this one , I found that my medication was causing me to have much worse migraines . I still get migraines, not so often as I used to I admit , but now I don't take meds on a daily basis only when required. I had to be weaned off them first and that was not pleasant but it was worth it in the long run . Talk to your Doc .

5. moonlake

You should talk to your doctor.
    Some pain medications do have the tendancy to actually cause/enhance head aches if taken over a long periods of time. Often there are alternative pain medications (made up of unrelated chemical compounds) that can be substituted. But your doctor witll be able to explain this in more detail and suggest alternatives.

6. Mickey

I had this problem for a while. I'm on Vicodin for back pain.
    I started with trying to take Ibuprofen and taking less Vicodin.
    I now take the Vicodin when I absolutely can't deal,anymore.
    I talked to my Dr. about this and he agreed with what I've been doing.
    Of course,migraines are different than what I have,so I agree that you
    need to speak with your Dr. Good luck,Becky. I'm sorry you're going through this.

7. KaraBulut

Right now, you're probably having a different type of headache. There are different types of migraine. It sounds like the migraines you were having in the past responded to the triptan drugs like Imitrex, Amerge, Zomig which act on the serotonin system.

Right now, you're having hormonal migraines. For most women, migraines get better as hormone levels drop. You may be one of the exceptions whose migraines get worse. You may need to go on HRT to get your migraines under control if they are not responding to Imitrex.