1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to start becoming physically active

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by I'm_Danni_x, Dec 22, 2015.

1. I'm_Danni_x

I'm a couch potato with the exception of watching TV, which I hardly do. I usually stay on my laptop reading Ebooks or books in general, browsing websites or revising. I have always hated exercise. Mostly due to my phobia of bees and wasps and generally lacking the motivation to exercise. (Note that I have been suffering from depression). I should mention that I have never really exercised as much as i should since I was 11, yet I have managed somehow to maintain my figure. I walk to school everyday. My thighs and stomach are getting bigger which is to be expected if i don't do any exercise. Before, I never really cared about my body image, now it's concerning me.

Those of you who are physically active where do you get your motivation from? How do I become more physically active?

2. CameOutSwinging

I HATE exercising. But I found a sport that I really love (for me, it's boxing) and just dove head first into it. I go at least 3 times a week, though I plan to get back to my 6 day a week schedule now. I've made tons of friends at the gym, so there's a social aspect to it (going to see my friends!) and I love the sport and have a drive to get better at it as much as I can. When I started going to the gym years ago just to lose weight, while I had that weight loss goal, I found it hard to always motivate when I was just going to walk on an elliptical for 60 minutes. Having a goal is the major factor to me. At this point, I want to be a fighter, and I want to keep getting better at boxing. And I just love it!

Try some different classes and sports, and find something that you love to do. When you love doing it, it doesn't feel like a chore, and the "exercise" is a bonus to just doing something that is a hobby.

3. MickTheMousie

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I also hate exercising xD I'm slim and i wear H&Ms super skinny jeans, and i dont do any sports.. i just watch out for what i eat, try to eat less sugar and premade/fabricated foods, more veggies and fruits nuts and seeds :grin: you should try it, it's A LOT easier than it sounds, i've been on a water cure for 3/4 year and my skin looks gooooooooooooood, and i've only gained weight cuz i'm growing :grin: (wich is sad since i dont want to be higher, i would rather be a bit lower xD )

4. Steve FS

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Hello,

If you're anything like me when I started - extremely lazy, sluggish, and loathing anything physical - then it can be tough, but it's definitely possible. I started exercising when I was 231 lbs (I'm 179 bs now), and I was using a body that had not been exposed to any physical activity.

There are two things you need to do:

1.) Start off slow. We tend to jump into things because we want to get fit as soon as possible, but that's not how it works. Both your body (and your mind) need time to adapt to this lifestyle change. What I did was spend my first day, marching for 10 minutes in front of the TV, and that would be my workout for day 1. Then, as each day passed, I would increase the intensity.

For example:

Day 1: March 10 minutes
    Day 2: March 12 minutes
    Day 3: March 14 minutes
    Day 4: March 16 minutes
    Day 5: March 18 minutes
    Day 6: March 20 minutes

Then at this point, depending on how you feel, you could start adding other workouts, or increasing the intensity of current workouts.

Day 7: March 20 minutes + 1 Pushup
    Day 8: March 22 minutes + 2 Pushups
    Day 9: March 24 minutes + 3 Pushups
    Day 10: Jog in place 10 minutes + 4 Pushups
    Day 11: Jog in place 12 minutes + 5 Pushups

etc. etc.

I recommend once you start getting in the ~30 minute workout range, you allow your body at least one day a week to rest. Don't forget to do research on different types of muscle workouts as well.

The second thing you need to do is...

2.) Fuel your body correctly, AKA "Healthy Eating." I know, bleh, awful term, but it's something you need to do in order for you to exercise efficiently. Otherwise, you're just going to feel sluggish and horrible.

For this, you're essentially just going to do the same thing for working out - allow your body to adapt. Start by adding healthy foods, and then subtracting. Then make little changes until your body is used to eating the healthy foods, and not eating the unhealthy ones.

Don't forget to also fuel before working out. Eat something less than 150 calories and something with a lot of protein, like a tablespoon of peanut butter, or half an energy bar. Wait a few minutes, and you should be good to go.

Also, please keep in mind that it's going to time time and repetition to get used to a new lifestyle change. According to Phillippa Lally, a health psychology research at the University College London, it takes approximately 66 days for your body to adapt to a new habit, so allow that amount of time to pass. You'll be surprised (and proud) at how much you can change in a little under a month, not to mention two. :slight_smile:

I hope this helps. Good luck! :thumbsup:

#4 Steve FS, Dec 22, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 22, 2015
  5. Jax12

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I found the motivation when I wanted to become a lifeguard. I need to be physically fit and active should a situation require any man power. I also want to become a paramedic, so I also need to become stronger.

And I want to look good, lol. The hard part is getting started, but once you do you're on your way :slight_smile:

#5 Jax12, Dec 22, 2015
  6. thatchickcj

This kind of reminds me of the time I randomly decided to join my school's cross country team my junior year...

Being physically active has always sort of been a part of who I am, but last year I decided to take up a new sport I had never been a part of. This new sport was eye opening, because I didn't realize how 'unfit' I actually was. I was as soccer player trying to be a cross country runner.

When I joined my high school's cross country team, I had to go through this entire process over again from a different athletic position. In soccer you run in bursts, while in cross country you run long distances at a semi-constant rate (minus passing rude people, the start, and finish).

I couldn't run a mile without stopping two years ago. But, with the help of our hell of an awesome coach, I learned how to properly work myself up to running 6/8 miles without stopping.

I can't even stress how important it is to take your time when when it comes to introducing your body to new things!! Without proper preparation, you could seriously injure yourself; which sadly, was a constant case for some of the newer runners on our team. You don't just jump into a hot tub, you dip your toe in it to make sure it's okay first.

I mean I'm not going to forget to mention that I was constantly the slowest person on the team. I always thought I was the worlds worst runner because I would finish a 5k in 32 minutes when the best runner on our team was running that in literally less than half the time. You should absolutely never compare your work load to anyone elses!!!

While I was in cross country I carried little to no injures and also managed to become the most improved runner two years in a row. It might be a while before you can make it to your goal, but you will get there if you dedicate your time and effort to do it right.

#6 thatchickcj, Dec 22, 2015