1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

lossed my sex drive

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by aussielefty, Dec 26, 2015.

1. aussielefty

hi guys

so about just over a month ago I started taking anti depression/anxiety tablets
    for my depression and anxieties etc..

first half a tablet then one and now one and a half, and the doctor last week asked
    if I had noticed any side affects and I said only stomach upset some times after taking them but then I asked about my masturbation ,or lack of masturbating, it was hard to ask her about it but she was good did say that that can happen with some men .
    She said there isnt much she can do about it for now but she thinks I may get used to the tablets and possibly my sex drive might improve ..
    its like I'll still get the odd erection but when I try to masturbate its like I just cant seem to get myself off , I can reach a dry orgasm but not always ejaculate...

so frustrating for me sometimes, longest so far is a week with out masturbating and learning to sleep with out masturbating..

my life is all screwy right now , slowely trying to get it back in some sort of order but its not easy, my self harm has been down a little which is good , but I'm not out of the woods just yet I feel...

2. headsup1958

Hi Lefty. You didn't say what the drug was....but here in the US an anti-depression called Wellbutrin has less sexual side effects. If you have that in Australia you might want to check it out. I speak from experience.

3. aussielefty

yeah we have a lot of different drugs apparently
    but the one I'm taking is Sertaline

have you had any sexual side effects Heads Up?

#3 aussielefty, Dec 27, 2015
    Last edited: Dec 27, 2015
  4. Euler

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
  5. headsup1958

For clarification: I'm 57, recently out, lost my wife of 20 years 14 months ago, have used antidepressants for a number of years.

Yes, with certain anti-depressant drugs I would have a problem with sometimes not getting aroused or not able to get and maintain an erection firm enough for penetrative sex or enjoyable masturbation.

With other drugs I would have anorgasmia, or the inability to orgasm and/or ejaculate.

For a long time it was just settling with the lesser of two evils: either have good or reasonable sexual performance but use no drugs and become depressed (which in itself can cause erectile dysfunction), or have the depression alleviated with drugs but have lousy or unfulfilling sexual performance.

At the beginning of 2015, after retiring and relocation across the country (USA) I stopped taking the three drug "cocktail" I was on. (In hindsight, not a good idea to do that without proper supervision). When the depressive state returned I went to my new psych and said I needed something for the depression but was unwilling to give up my sex life which returned full force once I stopped taking the drugs.

The doctor prescribed a brand new antidepressant that supposedly had little or no sexual side-effects. But of course, with America's fucked up healthcare system, my insurance company wouldn't pay for the drug....and $300+ out of pocket each month was unaffordable. So we revisited Wellbutrin and it seems to have helped a lot.

I still have some ejaculation delays (or none at all) but I can live with that. I find if I have enough foreplay and am comfortable with a new partner it isn't a problem. I do tell him if it is becoming an issue as I don't want him to think it is something he is doing wrong.

6. aussielefty

thanks Euler for the link, I usually do read my things I am given but the fine print was terrible on this lot..

headsup1958

so sorry for the loss of your wife recently , I lost my father 18 months ago and have been struggling with it all.. plus other things in life having an effect on my depression too..

I think for now I'd rather get my depression sorted first then worry more about my lack of ejaculating etc. but I do want to find some one and hope not only to be able to satisfy myself but them too some day...

it just gets me so down some days, like I'll be in bed for a couple of ours trying to masturbate trying to ejaculate and enjoy it yet I just get so angry and frustrated...

:bang:

7. justine16

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Lexapro has had the same effect on me.