1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice for finding a psychologist or therapist

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by GatheredStatice, Jan 1, 2016.

1. GatheredStatice

I am looking for advice for finding a psychologist or therapist. :help:
    I am questioning my orientation later in life and I am not coping well on my own.
    -I know I'm not straight...and that is about as far as I have gotten on my own.-

But I have A LOT of baggage that any general therapist is not equipped to handle.

I am an adult survivor of severe child abuse and as much as I would like to lie to myself and say that it is my past and doesn't affect me now, the reality is it affects every aspect of my life regardless if I am willing to admit that fact.

Logically, I know part of my self acceptance problem stems from ultra-conservative christian influences, but that does help my emotional well being.

So, what suggestions do you have?

2. Really

Welcome to EC.

Does your state have a registry of therapy professionals that you could peruse and choose a few to call? There might even be a few fixed questions you could have prepared so you could compare to make your choice easier.

Alternatively, is there and LGBT resource centre in your area? They might offer counselling and/or be able to point you towards someone who they recommend.

And, not that we're professionals but posting and reading here can make you feel better in the meantime. Stick around.

3. Camel

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi GatheredStatice. Welcome to EC.

Finding the right therapist is crucial. You may want to consider the various forms of therapy - CBT/REBT, for example, or forms of depth therapy. And it is important that they are licensed and registered with the authorities. That gives you protection if things go wrong.

But really finding someone you can trust is the most important thing. Therapy (my therapist tells me!) is an art, not a science, and the relationship between therapist and client is crucial. Someone who understands LGBT issues would be best, of course.

4. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Your country's, or state's, professional body will hold a register (on their websites) and there you can read CVs and summaries of therapists in your area.

Alternatively, if you have a good local LGBT support centre, they can also give you a shortlist and contact details.

Good luck!