1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Back Pain

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by someguy82, Jan 29, 2009.

1. someguy82

I woke up with a sharp pain in my back that doesn't feel like the typical work out soreness today. Should I take a day off from my lifting routine, or should I just go for a light short session so my muscles still get a little exercise but nothing too serious.

2. KaraBulut

What part of your back- upper, middle, lower? Is the pain constant or just when you move? Any pain or numbness in your legs?

3. Mickey

I'd see a Dr. He can send you for an MRI just to rule out an injury. I'd stop any and all lifting until you know what's going on.
    This is coming from somebody who has severe back problems.
    Don't mess around with this. Get checked asap.

4. someguy82

Upper back somewhat on the left side. It's a constant but light pain that gets worse when I move. It's not overbearing or something I can't deal with, but it's still there which makes me think I probably shouldn't do anything today. I just feel guilty not working out.

5. someguy82

I would go to the doctor if I could actually get or afford health insurance. Being a poor law student sucks.

6. KaraBulut

Based upon the location, it does sound like you have an overuse injury (which many people refer to as a "pulled muscle"). You can go to the gym and do cardio or lower body but you should layoff any upper body work for a few days to allow the inflammation in the area to lessen.

Take an over-the-counter anti-inflammatory like naproxyn or ibuprofen which will help with both the inflammation and the pain. There are also analgesic cremes and sticks that you can buy that contain methyl salicylate (oil of wintergreen) to apply to the area that will help reduce the pain the area.

Usually these things resolve in 3-5 days. If the pain doesn't get better after 3 days, you should see your doctor.