1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Ways to deal with anxiety?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Pikachu181, Jan 11, 2016.

1. Pikachu181

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    So, I've been pretty anxious the last couple weeks, and I'm not quite sure how to get myself to just relax.

I've got a couple of stresses, mostly school related. I've had a lot of stuff to do for it and I have a bunch of exams this week.

I also have driving school three days a week for two hours at night, with extra driving practice coming up. I'm pretty stressed about driving, mostly just not wanting to make a terrible mistake. (I'm a pretty big perfectionist.)

At the same time, accepting my sexual orientation has taken a lot out of me and given me mixed feelings of guilt and anxiousness, though I'm not sure if that's normal.

Do any of you guys know some good ways for dealing with anxiety? Most of my escapes aren't available to me because of my lack of time, or I push them out of the way to get school in.

Thanks for the help!

2. Open Arms

Open Arms Guest

Lighten your load if you possibly can. Six plus hours of driving per week when you're in the middle of exams doesn't make sense. If I were your counsellor, I would want you to ask yourself (once you are done exams) "Why do I do this to myself?

But for now, don't stress about the driving. Focus on studying.

To relax, give yourself breaks, even if it's just 10 minutes to breathe deeply outside in the fresh air or listen to a couple of your favourite songs or munch on a snack or a quick phone call to a friend. Reward yourself like this after every hour of study. You need to stop your mind from racing.

Tell yourself you'll do fine: "I've got this." "I know this." "I'll ace this." Remind yourself that 5 or 10 years from now, it won't matter if you got a B or an A (unless you need straight A's to get into Med School or Harvard).

Get some sleep before the exam and then do a quick review of your study notes... only the stuff you are least confident about or are most sure will be on the exam.

Eat a chocolate bar and a banana before the exam because studies have shown they improve brain performance. Trust your preparation and your brain.

3. Aspen

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Give yourself permission to relax, even if it's just for an hour. Make a cup of tea or hot chocolate, watch an episode of your favorite show, listen to upbeat songs, read something for fun. It sounds like you've been working hard and while that's important, you also need a little bit of time to rest.

When you get anxious, take a deep breath in as you count to ten, hold, exhale as you count to ten. If you were thinking about something in the future, refocus your thoughts back to whatever you're currently working on.

Learning how to drive can be a lot of stress, but remember that you are learning and your instructor knows what to do. Mine told us all the story of the guy who--the first time driving on the highway--popped cruise control on and put his feet up on the dashboard. Believe me, they've seen it all.

4. Pikachu181

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Thanks for the tips! I'll definitely try everything you guys have recommended. Thank you very much for your help.