1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Demi-vegan?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Invidia, Jan 15, 2016.

1. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    So I've been thinking about something really. I've been a vegan for about two years. And I love it. It's great. My body feels lighter (and my conscience, of course), and there are lots of other perks. But there is one problem. It is so. Damn. Inconvenient. Not all the time, of course. When it's just you, doing your shopping and cooking your food it isn't inconvenient. But it's like... eating out becomes extremely difficult a lot of the time, and eating at people's houses and stuff becomes even more difficult, often just undoable. So I'm wondering... I'm thinking maybe I can eat a bit, not much, of animal stuff, even though ideally I don't want to, when I'm eating out sometimes and they don't have a vegan alternative, and when I'm eating at someone's place eating, like a friend or so. I'm thinking the increased convenience from that will be worth it.

But I have a question. Is it... feasible... to do it like that? I mean, if I was over at a friend's place watching some movie and crammed half a pizza down my face (non-vegan), I'm guessing my poor old vegan tummy wouldn't applaud my actions.
    Like, I guess it would be okay if I got into the habit, and maybe had certain things once a month or something like that.

Are there any vegans or others who feel they want to share some thoughts?

2. PerfectlyNormal

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    It would not be nearly as convenient when explaining it.

3. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Yeah, I thought about that... :/ Ugh... But it's just so inconvenient and kind of makes me feel like an outsider a lot of the time, to be vegan. Like, people are sitting and eating and there I am, sipping my water...

Sometimes I feel kind of rude even for not accepting food when I'm offered. I feel like I'm like a snob or something and I'm afraid people might think that I think I'm better than them just because of my diet.

4. yeehaw

Ive been vegetarian for over 20 years and have gone through vegan phases. The vegan phases that lasted the longest were really only veganish. If I was at a restaurant or at people's houses I would revert to just regular vegetarian if there weren't vegan options. I didn't ever eat meat or geletin, because they *seriously* gross me out. It made things just a lot more practical and I could live with occasional cheese and egg and butter if I wasnt at home or at a vegan friendly place.

#4 yeehaw, Jan 17, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 17, 2016
  5. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Thanks, yeehaw, for your insight. :slight_smile: xx

6. Riz

Riz

I know some vegans that went back to being just vegetarian because it inconvenient...
    Though! You live in Sweden, you must have noticed the vegan alternatives are getting vider! I see coffeshop offering vegan milk and resturants offering at least one vegan alternative, not all. But many.
    When visiting friends, you can do as me and bring your own food. I always ask if it's ok first, like they won't be hurt or anything. All are glad I asked but doesn't mind.

7. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Yeah, I sometimes bring my own food.

And yeah, alternatives are getting wider, but not where I live :/ I live in a very small town, in Värmland, y'know, way out in the forest, lol.
    I've noticed it in the stores, though. There's a lot more tasty soy mince and stuff in the stores. But yeah, not outside of them, here. :/ And even when I was in Stockholm I found it hard to find a place where I could eat vegan food.

8. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hello , vegan sister...

You can politely decline food with a smile, with manners, just being natural 'Thanks, very nice of you, but I'm vegan'. It's never rude to stand your own ground. Just imagine a world where everyone was forced to accept whatever kindness they get : You'd probably end up living a life that isn't yours.

There are omnivores that do feel guilty, and very guilty, but they carry on. There are also omnivores who are not informed, or don't want to be informed, but carry on being ignorant about something that might interest them. Instead of trying an alternative, they blame vegans. These people have problems, and therefore are their problems, not yours.

I've been pescetarian, lacto-ovo out of laziness, and so on. Until one day I finally managed to get real, and stand my own ground. I think veganism is becoming more and more known, so there must be more vegans : Today I had a tofu sandwich at a take out place, guess what... They were all sold out, and they had to make it on the spot for me. The girl made another 2 sandwiches as well, and put them on sale. I felt very good about that.

I don't think you should give up something that gives you so much joy. You could try to get more vegan friends, or just get used to politely decline non vegan food. And by god... if your friends only offer you water, knowing you are vegan, you do need some friends, even if I wasn't vegan I wouldn't let you just with a glass of water at my place (*hug*)

9. Invidia

Invidia Guest

I hope that in 5 years or 10 years or so from now, I'll be able to live comfortably as a vegan. For now I'm thinking I might go "privately vegan, socially vegetarian/pescetarian/omnivore".

---------- Post added 18th Jan 2016 at 05:15 PM ----------

Thanks, Michael. (*hug*)

Yeah, it's kind of like my ethical preference is interlocked in fierce battle with my social preference.
    I'm not making any hasty decisions for now. I'll see what I'll do.. x