1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Testing/What to expect

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Benway, Jan 17, 2016.

1. Benway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I figure now that I'm sexually active it might be good to get tested regularly. There's a place near me that does it, so I'll probably check them out. But I had a quick question: The HIV part of the STD tests they do they say they'll get in contact within 4 days. But I read somewhere it's possible to get those test results within 20 minutes-- if you pay a nominal fee. Is there any truth to this?

2. Euler

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Depends on the test. The results for the quick test for HIV antibodies are in within 15mins. However, the results are reliable only if the exposure happened 3 months ago. If you acquired the virus 2 weeks ago it won't show up in the test.

Other types of tests have different periods.

3. awesomeyodais

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    There are different types of tests with varying wait times - here's 3:

Rapid (Point of Care):
    detects antibodies – three to four weeks after infection, rapid result (this would be the 20 minute version)

Early (NAAT/RNA):
    detects virus ten to 12 days after infection, one-week result

Standard:
    detects antibodies three to four weeks after infection, one- week result

User fees and wait times will vary from location to location

More details at the source: Health Initiative for Men (Canadian site)

4. Benway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Well, I had unprotected sex with a girl once, some time ago, and I got kind of sick a few days after (fatigue, sore throat, but nothing else) and I remember worrying myself that I had HIV because I'd heard there were flu-like symptoms you experience early on in the stages, but I seriously doubt that this chick, freaky as she might be, could have given me HIV. Also, I had just walked six miles in the summer heat and the symptoms I had were also associated with heat exhaustion and severe dehydration because my diet at the time consisted solely of Mountain Dew and Pop Tarts (I've changed that, now, don't worry). I've also had routine bloodwork and lots of doctor's appointments since, they surely would have said something. This is almost a quarter of a decade ago, now, though (sex with the girl) so if I had HIV, there'd be more symptoms by now, I'd think?

#4 Benway, Jan 18, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2016
  5. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My guess is your fine. I go every three months to get tested. It's a good practice to get into.

6. Benway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yeah, I mean, I think so. I mean I looked her up since then and she hasn't said anything about being positive. She was a loose girl, but not stupid. She said she was clean and I believe her. I remember I got mononucleosis after my fling with her, from the kissing or whatever and I took some antibiotics or whatever and it cleared up fairly quick.

7. Benway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I hate to double post, but I have to share this! :grin:

So, I didn't sleep at all last night, I was actually horrified I'd contracted HIV, either through sex or some other means, so I was on my dating app and there was a testing center a few blocks from my house who did all those tests awesomeyodais mentioned and more for free! I got the RAPIDS one done right away, I am HIV/Syphilis/HepC free, the Doctor said that if I had contracted it when I had my suspicions (over two years ago) it would show instantly due to the advanced stage of the virus. I'm still waiting on Gonorrhea and Chlamydia tests, but those are, as they told me, easily treatable with antibiotics.

I've been up for about 24 hours now, worrying about this like an asshole. And now it's like yet another weight lifted from my shoulders in the span of only 48 hours. If you're thinking about getting tested or have anxiety regarding it, just go do it. All you gotta do is sign a few papers and do it. I'm so relieved, and energized that I might stay up another twenty four hours and work on a new novel or a screenplay or something! I'm super hyped right now, like, I'm psyched. No STDs, got myself figured out sexually and now I'm free to go wherever I want with my life! The one road has become many, and I intend to walk them all.

8. Michael

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    I'm glad your test went well, but it's better to be safe than sorry. I wouldn't trust my health to anyone, regardless of how clean, good looking and honest they look to me.

I mean this well, and I'm all but a saint.

9. Benway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Absolutely better safe than sorry, which is why I'm taking a chastity leave from sex until ALL the blood work comes back-- I'm not worried about the three big ones (HIV, Syphilis or Hep C) because the rapid tests would have detected them instantly, but it'll be nice to have further peace of mind. And you can't put a price on peace of mind.

10. Benway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    The... The rapid test is pretty accurate, right? This was a high tech facility so I'm making an assumption in figuring they've got accurate tech.

11. smurf

Yep, very accurate.

If it tests positive, then they will give you a different kind of HIV test to rule out any false positives, but when it tests negative its really accurate.

You should be in the clear. Glad to hear you took respectability for your own health! Keep getting tested at least once a year if you rare sexually active. After a couple of times, the awkwardness of it goes away.

12. Benway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yeah, like, if I have gonoreah or chlymadia it's not big deal, that clears up with Zithromax and orange juice, but yeah the tests finished in 20 minutes and I felt the way heroin users must feel when they catch the dragon-- it was just the glow of warm relief. Sorry my spelling is starting to suck as the day goes on--- I've been awake for 28 hours now and wanna power my way through the day so I'm drinking coffee and have horror movies on in the background at full volume. Also I'm dehydrated and my hands are freezing, probably from walking around outside for so long without gloves oh well pain is temporary glory is forever... I think I'm getting a cold and I keep getting paranoid that it's somehow HIV even though that's technically impossible...sorry for the stream of consciousness run on sentence

13. smurf

This. You already know it, but just in case it helps. You have very, very low chance of getting HIV through one single unprotected vaginal intercourse. You are fine.

Since you know you have this much anxiety, next time find a clinic that will tell you the results right away. Most LGBT health clinics or even most health clinics will do the 20 minute test and they will tell you the results right away. Most of them are free. If you can't find anything near you, call Planned Parenthood and either they will do it for you free/cheap or they will point you in the right direction.

14. Benway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Well, it was two instances of vaginal intercourse (with the same vagina) over the span of 24 hours, but I'm mincing meanings, now.

15. AKTodd

And just to come at this from another direction and on the theory that an ounce of prevention is worth a pound of cure...

You will of course have a stash of condoms always available and insist that they be used if any kind of potentially unsafe activity is being contemplated. And make sure that they are within their expiration date and such:slight_smile:

Congrats on your new experience and glad you had a good time.:thumbsup:

Todd

16. Benway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Well, like I said I got the rapid test first for HIV/HepC/Syphilis, they're going to call me in like a week or something with the 'full results' (they said they do this for everybody, they took a urine sample and stool sample as well) but the rapid test was negative for HIV and everything else-- that's accurate, right? Like, it's indicative of the full test will be? How accurate? Somebody please tell me, I'm totally freaking out.

#16 Benway, Jan 18, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 18, 2016
  17. Benway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    What I find strange about today is that I did it completely while sleep deprived. I didn't sleep at all last night, and I've been awake a good 38 hours, now. What's weird is, sleep deprivation seems to fill me both with an uneasy calm and mounting sense of unease. I could have very well just gone to bed and I wouldn't have thought twice about it, but instead I made a responsible decision, for myself, by myself and I did it deliberately and it went fine. But for real, I am still freaking out a little, the Rapid test, the 20 minute one I took said I was negative. But they still send everybody's blood work to the labs, just in case? Is this common? Is this the practice? I'm negative, right? Right?

18. Benway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Well, the results came back from the lab today, the full results I mean. It was all negative! :grin: But I'm a hypochondriac so I'll go again in three months because I'm getting a sore throat (or maybe I just have something stuck in it) and I freak out too easily. But yeah, HUGE weight off my shoulders!