1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Unable to sleep, yet exhausted.

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by FoxEars, Jan 19, 2016.

1. FoxEars

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I am finding it difficult to sleep at night, though I feel exhausted. I think that the main reason for this is the stress that had been mounting upon my shoulders for weeks. Whatever it is, whenever I close my eyes something forces them open again, whether it be a worrying thought or the urge to break down. With school, hours upon hours of homework and everything else that's barged into my life, I need the energy more than ever. Sometimes I look in the mirror and think that someone has messily pasted on horror movie makeup under my eyes, but of course it's plain old me.
    I need advice on ways to get a decent sleep, I've tried breathing techniques and I've tried to clear my mind, but with everything going on it's damn near impossible.

#1 FoxEars, Jan 19, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 19, 2016
  2. Really

A little bit of exercise before bed is supposed to work.

I've found this video (it's just audio), puts me to sleep. It's an Autogenic Relaxation "video".

Also, don't take any "screens" to bed with you. Looking at them will just wake you up some more.

3. Silver Sparrow

Hi FoxEars,
    I'm sorry you are having such trouble sleeping. Stress can definitely affect your sleeping patterns, and working on your stress levels could definitely help with your sleep. In my mind, it's a cycle. You get stressed so you get less sleep/sleep less well so you get more stressed, etc.
    There is a concept known as sleep hygiene, basically practices that are generally conducive to good sleep. One of the big things for many people is screens. The blue light that is emitted from electronic devices like computers and smartphones messes with the circadian rhythms that help your body know when to go to sleep and when to wake up. Try lowering screen usage around bedtime. You could also look at computer programs that adjust the light emitted from your screen depending on the time of day. Additionally, as Really said, relaxation and exercise can help with getting to sleep. Having a bedtime routine has been very helpful for me. Also, make your bed a space that is used only for sleep. No eating, studying, etc. in bed. Additionally, try limiting your caffeine intake, especially in the hours leading up to your bedtime.
    Hope this helps!

4. FoxEars

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Sorry, I just can't cope with that video. The voice is..ugh sorry. I just can't.
    I already make sure of most of this (I'll have to stop studying in bed) it's mainly the stress rather than anything else.

5. Ram90

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I had a time when I was too stressed to sleep too. It helped when I kept things separate. Like you said, I stopped studying in bed or reading in bed. I kept my desk and my couch and everything else for doing all stuff. I left my bed for sleeping. That way I tuned my body into thinking that whenever I got into bed, it's only for sleeping.

It took me about a month to get used to it. But the body and mind can get used to it. Maybe you can try this?

6. FoxEars

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    That seems to be a long process, but I'll try it <3