1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Tubal Litigation

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Klutz, Jan 22, 2016.

1. Klutz

Hey every body,

I've always said that I would never have kids. My sister and I used to play dolls (at her insistence) and mine would get kidnapped, and I would keep doing whatever I wanted. She'd be like "why aren't you playing?" and I'd be like "my baby was kidnapped, and I haven't noticed, yet". When she talked me into noticing, the game would turn into a knock down, drag out fight with the bad guy. No nurturey feely anything to go with it.

You know that smell babies have? The one that is supposed to make mating instincts kick in and people equipped with ovaries start going baby crazy? It makes me nauseous. I hate that new baby smell.

So, here is my dilemma: I have run out of birth control options. I don't like the pill, injections, or arm implant. I don't like the thought of all that added hormone going through my system, because I know it turns me into a different person. I was on the pill and totally had a type. I went off it and that totally changed. I don't want to mess with who I am. So, I tried both types of IUDs. First the Copper one, which I ended up having more days on my period than not, and bleeding 2 liters each time (Anemia anyone?). We tried the Marena to see if it would be better. I didn't get periods, but I still got wicked cramps. So, I tried the hormonal one, but I have a small uterus so I always get cramps from them. Like, always.

I'm out of options, and looking at tubal litigation, or getting my tubes tied. I know I don't want kids and I don't see it ever changing, but what if everyone is right and I will someday meet someone and be like "I want to have your babies!"? I really believe this is the best option for me, but I'm really scared about it. I'm 28, which is old enough to make a choice, but still young in terms of family planning.

This got to be a longer post that I intended; thanks for sticking with it. Any advice and/or support is appreciated. I know I can't tell my mom. She'd be furious because she wants grandkids from me. Which is another source of stress, but for a different time.

2. Joanie

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Hi. I quickly read and felt like I had to tell you this. Tubal ligation will greatly reduce the blood supply to your ovaries, so it will significantly decrease the production of hormones by your ovaries. In other words, despite what doctors will try to tell you (because $$$$$), this procedure will put you into early menopause. You can search on this on Google by example. A big number of women severely regret the operation and feel miserable. Doctors will never tell you about this, check with women who have gone through this as a reliable source instead. If you trust doctors, it'll be too late when you'll realize that they lied to you.

Just my two cents.

3. XenaxGabby

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    You're too young to get your tubes tied. Doctors don't consider doing it until a woman is 35 years old, usually. You could just use condoms. If used correctly they are very effective.

4. Theron

Er, 28 is not too young. 0.o

In the United States, it is perfectly legal to have it done at 23, although it is challenging to find a doctor who will perform it under the age of 30 if you have no kids if you have no medical issues. Keep looking and have a rehearsed list of reasons why you don't want kids.

A friend of mine started looking at 24 and had it finally done at 29.

5. XenaxGabby

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    ^ I just meant that the OP will have some difficulty getting a doctor to do it because of her age. Not that she's too young to make that decision.

I'm seriously considering it myself.

#5 XenaxGabby, Jan 25, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 25, 2016
  6. lancelot

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    You have to be 100% sure that you won't have kids and you won't change your mind, as irreversbility is the main concern for tubal ligation. Also, I believe your ovaries won't be affected as much because it will be the tubes that will be resected.
    Female Sterilization | SexInfo Online
    gives you some good details about tubal ligation and also talks about how tubal ligation reversal works.

7. Klutz

So, I wanted to share a bit more about this. I've been doing some reading and thinking. Right now, it is a moot point because I got laid off and can't afford it.

I apologize for the horrible typos of litigation twice in the OP. I would have read that and been all like "sure, you are talking about a life changing surgery and don't know what it is called". So, thanks all for not getting down with your sassy selves.

I was reading some studies, that I should have bookmarked to post here, that looked at people with tubal ligation, people using hormonal birth control, and people not on any hormonal birth control and the onset of menopause. The conclusion was that there was that people on birth control became menopausal at a later age. It looks like people that go off birth control seem to link the symptoms of just going off birth control to the surgery.

My gyno is willing to do it, so finding a doctor isn't an issue. She said that my age does worry her a bit, but that I'm an adult. There would be no reversal, she would remove the entire tube. The ways that are easier to reverse have higher failure rates, that increase the younger the patient is. Also, there are new studies that are really supporting the theory of ovarian cancer starting in the Fallopian tubes.