1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Meditation advice/tips?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by tommycee, Jan 25, 2016.

1. tommycee

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Sorry if this is the wrong place. I wasn't completely sure where to put this. But anyway, I think I might try out meditation. Any advice to make it easier/better for a beginner? Also, how has it affected you? Are you glad that you started? Thanks in advance.

2. bubbles123

bubbles123 Guest

I don't do it much mostly because I always forget:slight_smile: so I can't speak from personal experience how it affects you over time but I would like to do it more. I think it definitely is relaxing in the moment.

Some techniques I've learned (and there's no right or wrong way, people have very different techniques, it's about what works for you and helps you feel most relaxed):

Close your eyes

Sit in an upright position with your palms facing up, preferably feet planted
    (personally focusing on position is distracting for me, so I just sit comfortably and still)

Repeat a mantra or word in your head, and it will eventually kind of lose meaning as you repeat it

Focus on your breathing in some way: pay attention to the feeling of cold air entering your nose and leaving your nose after its warmed by your body, or visualize the air entering your body and giving you energy, think about the bad energy going out as you exhale

I hope this is helpful! Good luck:slight_smile:

3. Benway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I practice a form of meditation called "inhibitory gnosis," in which I do essentially the same thing bubbles123 suggested, but beforehand I stay up for at least 24 hours, "inhibiting" my sense of time, putting me in a drowsy state and altering my thought patterns. It's a pretty wild experience.

4. Ram90

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    This is spot on IMHO. I do exactly the same. Except I do it during Sunrise. Facing East. It ties in with my religion and practice, but it's something I like to do too.