1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can't sleep because of anxiety

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by PennyT, Jan 27, 2016.

1. PennyT

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've never really had a problem with falling asleep, unless I'm very stressed. A few days ago, I realized that I'm probably not straight, and it's making me worried. When my room's light is on, I'm usually fine. When I'm not coping well, I do a lot of research, and I go to this site. It's kind of a relief to see other people going through similar things. At night, though, I can't keep my mind off of worse-case scenarios or even just casual worries.

I work part time at a Catholic theology library heavily connected at to a Catholic seminary. Most of my coworkers think that homosexuality is a mental disorder. It won't be for months, but eventually I'll have to come out to my family, and I know that it will take them awhile to get used to it, so I'm stressing about that too.

And I can't get my brain to just shut up at night. Since finding out, I haven't gotten more than six hours of sleep each night, and I need about nine to function normally. What should I do? How do I calm myself down at night?

2. Really

You could try exercising a bit before bed or some mediation if you're into that. If you're desperate, you could always speak to your MD about a mild sleep aid to get you over this hump.

Maybe easier said than done but try not to worry about what may be. Tell yourself you'll deal with it when the time comes.

I've found that listening to Autogenic Relaxation videos put me right to sleep. Not their intended purpose but what the hey, eh? :thumbsup:

3. scouse

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you're anxious about things to come, then try everything to live in the present. I find it useful to be very strict with my brain! If the mind starts wondering I think 'No, stop. I'll deal with that if/when it happens... and, somehow, I'll smash it'. Be strict with yourself. Have a nice bath, put some music on. Do anything to make the bedroom comforting and your safe place. Tell yourself that space is yours and no negative thoughts are aloud in there. If I'm having a particularly bad day then I read until I drift off or listen to the tv with the volume very low to distract myself.

4. Alder

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I know how you feel. For a period in my life in the past, I had a terrible time sleeping too. Anyhow, I'll give you a few fairly practical, all-rounded ideas that might help, though if the sleeping thing gets more serious maybe consider talking to a trusted counsellor or therapist (one who won't judge you and will keep everything strictly confidential.) I understand your fears and anxieties though, and I wish you best of luck.

Try chamomile tea, chamomile has been shown again and again to help with anxiety, though you'll need to drink it in the long term. There are quite a few natural supplements and teas out there that can help too, but chamomile is one that I usually turn to. Exercise and a good diet, light dinner before bed will help - if your body is in a better place it may be easier to fall asleep. There are some phone apps out there that help with anxiety- eg CBT or mindfulness apps that might be useful. Basic deep breathing is, well, very basic, but when you're lying down, breathing in slowly through your nose for around 4 seconds, holding your breath for a few seconds, then breathing out slowly again through your mouth, helps calm your body down. Pause for a few seconds in between. If you have time, doing some short, guided meditation or yoga could help as well though I've never tried them myself.

Besides the more generic things, dealing with what in particular is causing you anxiety can help too. If you're worried about your sexuality and what might happen, working on accepting yourself and finding a safe, supportive space (like on here), as well as working on becoming more positive and confident with your identity can tackle the actual source of anxiety. Coming out is hard, and worrying about it is difficult too. If it's possible, see if you can find sources of support around where you are now too, and LGBT+ resources (such as local support centres, hotlines), that are available to you just in case. If you have any particular worries about coming out or accepting your sexuality, you can always post on here. Best of luck and hope it works out.

#4 Alder, Jan 29, 2016
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2016
  5. BioChemist

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hello there! I actually used to struggle A LOT with being too anxious at night to sleep. I can vividly remember hot summer nights laying in my bed with fear of something medically going wrong with me. (Used to be a HUGE hypochondriac.) So what I did to help alleviate some of that stress was listen to music. My go to music at the time was country music. The channel GAC plays different music videos in a loop at a certain point at night. So I started to just focus on the music and be in the present moment. I feel like music does a good job of doing that when you really enjoy what you are hearing. By all means you don't have to listen to country lol. But I think it would be helpful to find maybe an artist or two and listen to them at night time. Mariah Carey has pretty great songs I can relate to so it is just about finding someone that kind of speaks to you on a soul level. Hopefully this helps you out keep me posted! If that doesn't work I will be happy to brain storm some stuff with you! I have battled anxiety for a while now so I know what it is like and how lonely it can feel just dealing with it on your own. So if you ever wanted to talk or something I am all ears! :slight_smile:

6. PennyT

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks for all of y'all's advice! I've taken to making my bed a place where I don't think about the future too much. And listening to music, at least before bed, really helped me. I'm going to try the tea thing when I get a chance. :slight_smile:
    Thanks again! :slight_smile:

7. ZestyLion

Have you tried medication? I know it's probably not what you want to hear, but trust me, it truly helps. Make sure you take one that doesn't have a side effect of depression. I take paroxetine (Paxil) and it works like a charm. Hope you can work it all out!