1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

What will happen with this tooth?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by tommycee, Feb 3, 2016.

1. tommycee

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    So a few months ago, I messed up my tooth. It basically chipped apart. (It's in the back btw)It never hurt though, so I never told my parents. Well, I'm going to the dentist tomorrow, and I have no idea what's going to happen. It can't really be pulled, it's too messed up for that, and I wouldn't think they could put a cap over it. My friend said they might cut it out, but I'm not sure. To give you a better idea of what it's like, you can see where the inside of the tooth used to be.

Also I'm kind of nervous of how my parents will react. I don't want them to get mad at me, but they probably will. Btw, I know this sounds like I eat really unhealthy and have a bunch of sugar and stuff, but I don't really eat an unhealthy amount, I guess I must have just done something wrong to my tooth. But anyway, what do you think will happen?

2. imnotreallysure

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh.. I think my friend had something like that. He chipped one of his back teeth badly, left it and it eventually just disintegrated until nothing was left other than a bit of tooth at the bottom. I believe the dentist drilled the remaining bit of tooth away.

I think, since it's in the back of your mouth, they'll probably just try and remove whatever is left instead of salvaging it, since nobody is likely to see it - especially if it is too far gone anyway. They could crown it depending on how much is left.

#2 imnotreallysure, Feb 3, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 3, 2016
  3. joshvolby

they will pull it out! oh yeah i suggest dont bring anyone who dont know who you are, youll be as high as fuck with the dose of anesthesia or whatever they will inject to you before pulling it out.

4. choirsmash

They will most likely remove the tooth, but they'll probably have to get you an appointment with an oral surgeon. They'll have to use a similar procedure to the one used for wisdom teeth if it's really bad. If the tooth is left in to deteriorate, you will basically have a rotting tooth in your mouth. It'll create a great spot for bacteria to party and you'll wind up with an infection. If it's not too bad, they might just pull it there or put a crown on

5. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey,

Actually, most likely, unless it's a wisdom tooth, they will put a crown on it. Even teeth that are badly cracked can almost always be crowned unless the root itself has cracked, which is really rare.

Also, if your parents are mad about you breaking a tooth... they're just being stupid. People break teeth all the time. Sometimes they're genetically just weakened, sometimes you bite down wrong on something... there are lots of things that can cause it.

Let us know what happens!

Dentists generally don't like to pull teeth because then the resulting hole can allow other teeth to shift and it can, over time, impact the stability of the bite and the bone structure. When they do pull teeth (except for wisdom teeth), they often do a bone graft to help maintain the stability of the bone structure.

They can certainly pull the tooth, even if the top of the tooth is messed up. They have all sorts of tools that make it pretty easy to do that. In the worst case, they have to go into the gums to remove it but that's pretty uncommon.