1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Persistent twitching/movement

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by biisme, Feb 7, 2009.

1. biisme

My thumb has been twitching/spasming on and off for the last two days. When it does twitch it does it almost continuously for several minutes. I've had my eyelids twitch when I'm tired, or my pinky (which always stops when I move it into a different position). However, I can't get the thumb to stop and just have to wait for it. Anyone know any ways to get it to stop?

2. sexyalex

lol
    Dr. Evil :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

umm. I can tell you what I know. I got this lecture not too long ago by my family physican. Something to do with allot of kenetic energy within the body that sends your nervous system into overdrive.

I was advised to cutt down my caffine and sugar intake.
    Also, she told me to jog a couple miles atleast 2wice per week so I choose 3 days alternativly out of the week that could fit into my schedule I could excersise and jog 3 miles between the town and my home.
    Its mango season in jamaica so we have allot of mango's cherries and stuff liekt hat in surplus here. So I have been having allot of fruits than the norm. She told me to reduce down my frucrose (fruit sugar) intake and
    lastly, get enough rest. That you have to decide for yourself because for me enough rest is 3 hours a day. Some people its 8, some its 12. So...
    yea...

Just telling u what was told to me when I kept shaking my legs and my hands kept trembeling liek a virbrator and I kept rubbing down my teeth on each other and twitch and shiver like crazy.

3. KaraBulut

The medical term is fasciculation.

We really aren't sure what causes it- it seems to affect both the eye and the thumb very frequently. And it often seems to be connected with fatigue- either general fatigue/lack of sleep or overexertion of the affected muscle.

Usually it goes away on its own within a day or two. You may find that it happens with less regularity over the course of a few days until it completely goes away.

Sometimes massage or stretching the muscle helps. Sometimes taking a couple extra doses of a multivitamin that contains calcium and magnesium will help.

4. biisme

Is it weird if it hasn't gone away by now and my pinky is also twitching randomly as well?

5. Ionless

i don't think it's a big deal. my thumb twitches at least a few times a minute all the time since i can remember. Even when I'm playing piano my thumb is always twitching. But if it just came up recently I can't be sure.

6. KaraBulut

Fasciculation can persist for days. It get to be very annoying- especially the twitching that affects the face and eyes.

As long as the twitching doesn't progress to additional parts of your hand or the frequency doesn't increase, it should be fine. In time, it should subside on its own- becoming less frequent and then it should stop altogether.

If it does continue or if it increases, you should call your doctor since it can be a symptom of other problems or side-effect of certain medications. But most of the time it is just a harmless thing that most people get and it comes and goes on its own and unfortunately- one its own schedule.