1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Had unprotected sex with a guy, scared now

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by jackinthebox, Feb 6, 2016.

1. jackinthebox

Hi friends,

In need of some urgent advice.

I am 28, non-promiscuous, and just last night, I was involved with an untested guy where he dipped into me for a minute or so (with a lot of pre-c*m) before I told him that I was uncomfortable without a condom. So we stopped. We even had oral but that's irrelevant I assume.

Today, he told me that he has had 3 unprotected experiences, two as a top with newbies, but one as a bottom with a promiscuous guy, who started with a condom but removed it midway while having an intercourse.

This really terrifies me and I don't know what to do now. Should I go to a doctor and start pep as it's not 72 hours yet? He has gone to get an HIV test right now, and I hope I can get the results immediately so based on that, I can decide. But if the results take longer, maybe I should start pep tomorrow i.e. within 48 hours?

Or is my risk low? Please help!

2. H20

H20

I'm not much of an STD/STI expert, but I do know that only one STD can be tested for and possibly detective within a 24 hour to 5 day time frame and the rest can go from a minimum to 6 days to 3 months. However, I still wouldn't wait too long. There are some STIs that can be taken care of for good, but I would also get tested again afterward if your last partner doesn't come back soon enough with the results to his test.

You should also consider how well you know your last partner. Should you trust his judgment to wait to hear what he says? If not, or even if you do, you should still go out and get tested a few weeks or a month or two after your initial first test.

Is your risk low? Yes and no. STDs can be transmitted even through a tiny drop of blood and most people would consider that an extremely low risk, but it's still hugely possible to contract the disease with minimal contact through bodily fluids. Even if your chances seem unlikely, I would still get checked.

This doesn't mean go into full blown panic meltdown and stressed out mode. You should remain calm and collected, at least until after you get your results. Now I can't give you statistics or tell you if you're likely to or not likely to get stuff. I know a lot about this subject for my age, but not everything.

However, here's a link for STD checking. It gives you the types of STDs and how long afterwards you should wait to get tested for them. You can take a look at them and figure out how you'd like to do the testing process, but if you aren't sure what exactly you're looking for, you'll have to just find an average I'm thinking and pick a certain time period.

STDCheck

Best wishes and good luck!

3. jackinthebox

I'm not as worried about STDs as I'm about life-threatening stuff like HIV. He's getting tested for it tomorrow, but I'm confused if I should take PEP until the report comes, just in case.

4. noname8387

yes take it

5. H20

H20

Jack in the box, HIV is an STD and HIV can sometimes accompany other STDs. That's why they recommend getting tested every 3 months regardless of protection or not if you're sexually active. Condoms are usually safe and preventable, but there are cases when fluids get through , though quite rare.

6. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    First, try and take a deep breath. Your risk here is moderate. It's not nonexistent, but it's not the highest it could be.

If it were me, I'd start on PrEP right away, simply because of the bottoming with a promiscuous guy who removed the condom. This tells us that the promiscuous guy (who is the worst, most evil kind of asshole in my book for removing the condom midway through) likes to bareback, and so *if* his viral load was high, it's possible he infected your friend, and if this happened recently... your friend's viral load would be high, increasing your risk.

For you, testing now won't do any good as the most sensitive tests aren't terribly accurate until about the 15 day mark. The PCR HIV test, which is expensive ($250) is the most accurate... pretty highly accurate at about 15 days. The antibody test (the typical screening test) is about 90% accurate +/- at 30 days.

Right now, the best you can do is make an appointment and get started on PrEP. Then, take a breath. PrEP is very, very effective. The side effects can be shitty for the first few days, but it does it's job very well.

And then you can get the PCR in a couple of weeks. Overwhelming likelihood is you'll be fine.

I know how hard it can be to be in these situations and have the hormones and excitement and so forth take over and cause you to make unwise choices. Don't kick yourself too much... many people have made that mistake.

The key here is to take this experience and use it moving forward. Remind yourself what this feels like now, and try to keep that thought in mind (not the easiest to do in the moment!) in future situations where someone suggests barebacking.

If you always, always, always use condoms, even with long-term partners, then both of you can simply relax and enjoy the experience rather than ever having to worry about your own health and safety.

7. jackinthebox

Just to update.. his results came out negative.. thank you so much all. Glad I didn't start Pep.

8. BobObob

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I urge you to look back at what the previous commenters said about testing. At this point, the negative result means nothing because it's too early for any tests to be accurate. According to you, the unprotected sex was 3 days ago, yet if what the others say is correct, the shortest possible time that any test for HIV is reliable is 15 days.

If I were you, I would take PrEP just in case.

#8 BobObob, Feb 8, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 8, 2016
  9. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you're unsure about your status (as the scenario you describe makes it seem to be unknown) you should get tested as well, and I would also go and still get PEP as well because that negative means nothing yet as it's too early as others have described. Go and get PEP and if you are at more risk of having sex with other guys who have unprotected sex casually I'd also talk to your doctor about PrEP as well.

10. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I initially misread what you said and initially, I was in agreement with BobOBob. But I think I hear you saying your partner's test was negative.

*IF* he has not barebacked with anyone in the last 45 days other than you and this one other person, then that test result is probably pretty reliable. and you probalby don't need to take the PrEP.

But if there is any doubt whatsoever as to how honest he's being, or whether he's had any other encounters in the last 45 days... I would go for the PrEP.

11. BobObob

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I initially read this as "the results came out negative." Darn dyslexia. My brain likes to autocorrect, often erroneously.

After re-reading it, I most agree with what Chip said:

...but I just want to emphasize that, based on the little bit of information I have, I think that that's a very big if. So if I were you, I would seriously consider PrEP unless you're certain he hasn't had any other bareback sex in the last 45 days. And if I were in your position, I would be reluctant to take his word for it.

#11 BobObob, Feb 9, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2016
  12. jackinthebox

^ It's his results that came out negative. And I have seen them myself.

Also, he had bottomed in late-October, and nothing after that.

So I have no reason to worry or start pep or anything... he or I haven't tested for other STDs yet. I'll get myself tested for everything after a month I guess...

#12 jackinthebox, Feb 9, 2016
    Last edited: Feb 9, 2016
  13. Louie1

Please get a rapid HIV test and full STD/STI screening (blood, saliva, anal tests). Do it every 3 months if you are sexually active and keep a record of who you have sex with if you prefer casual partners.