1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Lube for anal sex

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Rice and Pepper, Feb 12, 2016.

1. Rice and Pepper

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey y'all!

So, I am completely inexperienced, and today I was browsing the lubricants at a supermarket. Actually, it was more like scrutinizing like the weirdo in public, but anyway. I found water based ones, so condoms won't break. However, after reading all the information at the back of the bottles, none of them said if the lube was for anal use. They all say for "penile and/or vaginal". Is there something specific that I need to buy for anal sex? Is there something else I should know when picking a lube?

Thank you! :icon_bigg

2. Nobo

Google it

3. Void Puppy

I've used water based and silicon without issue (wasn't using a condom though). My partner said it felt good and for me (the bottom) it felt adequate. You don't need anything special for anal, however they do make some specifically for it that include things like a slight numbing agent to prevent pain (if you do it right you won't feel any pain).

4. DougTheBicycle

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, lube is pretty universal.

Water based is nice, if a little more messy.

5. Void Puppy

Silicon is worse imo. It lasts maybe a little longer, but if you get it on your sheets it's not going to come out easily, and then your boyfriends mom is going to ask why there is an oily stain on your bf's sheets when she walks in the room, and then you're going to have to awkwardly find a way to explain it.

Not like I'm speaking from experience or anything, though.

6. guitar

I'd recommend Guverra Bark from Intimate Organics. I've been using it for years and the stuff is amazing.

7. QueerTransEnby

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Some people
    There are several anal lubes out there. Typically, they are thicker in nature to last longer. Check the "marketplace" style sites.

8. BryanM

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm fairly certain astroglide is made specifically for anal sex and is water based. There may be other specific ones made for anal sex if you did a Google search as well, but I would stick to something water based.

9. josh9623

There isn't really a difference between a normal lubricant and that for anal play. Some do contain a numbing agent but I would recommend against that especially if you are new to anal play as it can hide the pain that is there to tell you to stop.

For choosing a lubricant, make sure that it does not contain spermicide (nonoxyl-9), and if you use condoms it should be either water or silicone based. Oil based is considered fine for external use but discouraged for internal use as it can trap and feed bacteria. Oil based lubricant will break down condoms.

If you are using toys, it is important to know what material was used. Oil based lubricant can break down latex based toys. Silicone lubricant can break down silicone toys. water based is fine for all toys.

I personally use a water based lubricant that is sold as a powder and is mixed with water allowing you to choose the viscosity. I have tried other lubricants and they work fine but this is cheaper. For Astroglide, some people (including myself) have a reaction to it and cannot use it, I would recommend against it as it has been found to be the worst lubricant in regards of irritating tissues.

10. Willa

Astroglide makes a really nice water-based gel that's easier to work with than a liquid and lasts longer. All of their stuff is hypoallergenic, too. :slight_smile: