1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Emotional Instability

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Steam Giant, Jun 14, 2007.

1. Steam Giant

I've been noticing something over the past week that just got a whole lot more pronounced today. I've been having kind of mood swings. I'll experience a long period of happiness, then get really angry at something small, or really upset about something so much so that I want to cry. I just experienced a really nasty shift a little while ago...I went form happy to really pissed off at someone, and now I'm really depressed. Does anyone here know what this might mean?

Some background: I've been depressed for about 10 years now, and just went on medication a little over a month ago, lexipro. I've been told by someone who takes meds for mental disorders that lexipro has a side-effect of drawing out bipolar symptoms. Does anyone know if that's true? Of if these sound like bipolar symptoms? Any help would be greatly appreciated ^^``

2. Steam Giant

Someone (you know who you are! ^^) suggested that this might have something to do with post-coming out, like being overloaded with emotions. Can anyone else shed any light on this?

3. wtinal

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I think lots of stress makes us more moody. I know I feel kind of the same way. I can go from calm to extremely irritated very quickly. I have found that I am experiencing strong feelings under the surface to begin with, and it just bubbles up and over as irritation or anger. When I notice it, I have to back off and try to figure what is REALLY going on rather than what it may seem like.

4. xxAngelOnFirexx

i've heard of lexapro but i don't know what it's for. I have BPD and those symtoms describe it exactly. i don't think medacine would have anything to do with it. talk to your doctor. you might just have BPD! it can be helped with meds although it really sux!

5. Qu_

Qu_ Guest

The thing with bi-polar disorder is that the swings aren't usually so quick. My family has a strong history of manic-depression (aka Bi-polar), including myself being cyclothymic, so I've had to do a lot of research. But generally the mood swings can last weeks to months at a time. But of course, I'm not expert. The best advice I can give would be to ask to be diagnosed by your local psychologist/psychiatrist and get treatment if you need it.

6. xxAngelOnFirexx

you're still young. i've read a lot into bipolar disorder adn i've learned a lot doing a report on it. it does not matter how long the swings or how fast. as long as you have them that makes them a symtom. i used to be a fast range mood swings. in the morning i was on top of the world and only a few hours later i felt suicidal depression. it's crazy. lately (although on meds nothing is perfect) i've been more manic than depressed except when i'm around my period (whihc i am now):tears: i feel a lot more down. that means short suicidal streaks, urges to cut, or hurt myself in other ways. it really sux and we're tryng to increase the meds.... nothing so far... i'll send you a link if you're curois. it's a link to teh site i learned most of my bipolar facts from. there is even a quiz on there to sere if you have it.

7. Steam Giant

Thanks, you guys! ^^ And yes, can you please send me that link? I'd really appreciate it ^^

I'm in a better mood now, but last night I was dancing back and forth from happy to depressed throughout the night, and I was just soooo physically drained, I couldn't do anything! It was really frustrating ; ; it's like I just spent the entire day being an emotional wreck.

As much as lexipro is helping to ease my depression (I can actually give myself credit now! Oh my god, that's...totally new!), I still have thoughts of suicide occasionally. I even grabbed a steak knife once about a week ago, and after a minute or so, I was able to build up the strength to throw it across the room and run away ; ;

As for stress, we have three adults and a two-year-old child living in an expensive appartment with only one of us working. He makes a lot of money at work, but it's hard for him to support us all alone. I'm trying to look for work, but when I'm this emotional, I just can't leave the house. My working roomate doesn't seem to understand this, and he's a bit frustrated with me as a result. Then you have my computer breaking, and a friend I usually play an online game with suddenly becoming busy...it's just too much stress for me right now. Plus, it's stress that I created...if I were better at dealing with angry customers, I could still be at my old job, and none of the above stress factors would exist. Ugh...now I'm down again...

I'm sorry to hear that you've been down lately, Angel ^^; (*hug*) I really hope that you feel better soon! Thanks again for the advice, everyone! My appointment with my therapist is in a few weeks...I'll just have to deal with it until then.

8. Sugar

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    hey!! this is what i found:

Additional Side Effects Details

Adults with Major Depressive Disorder may experience worsening of their depression and/or the emergence of suicidal ideation and behavior (suicidality), whether or not they are taking antidepressant medications, and this risk may persist until significant remission occurs. Patients being treated with antidepressants should be observed closely for clinical worsening and suicidality, especially at the beginning of a course of drug therapy, or at the time of dose changes, either increases or decreases.

Just mention it to your therapist. :slight_smile: Has there been any changes in your life recently?

9. Steam Giant

Definitely ^^ since I started treatment, I left my job, and I started coming out to like everybody ^^ well, not everybody, it's a slow process, but yeah, those are pretty significant life changes, I'd say.

I definitely wouldn't say that suicidal thoughts have worsened, they just haven't gone away. It's nice to not have to fight a compulsion to run out into traffic whenever I have to wait to cross the street ^^ but it still crops up from time to time...not very frequently, only maybe two or three times a week. Which is an improvement from all the time ^^

Thanks very much for that information! You're very cool! ^^

10. Sugar

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    hehe anytime :slight_smile:

11. nick79

Did you feel "depressed" or just "sad"/"disappointed"?

The difference is that sad/disappointed are perfectly normal emotions to feel when something irritates you... and nothing to worry about!

12. SadConfusedBandGeek

Hmm the excact same thing has happened to me just freakishly random mood swings! lol
    but i am a teenager,, but stil i can control my emotions most of the time

13. Steam Giant

Definitely depressed...I can tell, because it's irrational. I've been swinging back and forth with little provocation...things that really shouldn't be making me upset are, and it's not that I simply find them upsetting, it's like someone's messing with an emotion dial on my back. That's the maddening part about it ; ; it hasn't been happening as extremely lately, but it's still there, and I still drift back and forth for the slightest reason.

14. SpikySpice

Hmmm, you sound alot like me, you see, as you told me we are emotion driver. Even tho nobody makes us sad, suddenly we feel sad. :eusa_doh:

I just learned taht those depression feelings are quick and you will be happy again, and the sad again. Well, so dont worry too much if you feel depress, cuz you know you will feel good again:icon_bigg

Well, I've been feeling like you for a long time ago, but I havent learned anything to make myself feel better or to stop it. What I simply know right now for my knowledge is that when you feel depress, just dont notice it, dont get into it, cuz you know that it is fake depression. I do anything I could to get myself off all the thoughts and sad feelings, like do somehting taht can distract you.:icon_bigg

I'm really sacred you know, I worry that if this keeps going, it will be a big problem, just do my best to forget about the fake depression, yah, but sometimes it is hard.:eusa_doh: