1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Any ents/doctors in the house?! Help!

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by YeahpIdk, Feb 25, 2016.

1. YeahpIdk

Alright.

I'm having a really serious issue with my nose: chronic nasal inflammation and congestion. I've gone to at least three ENTs so far, and none have given me anything concrete or helpful -- except for a course of Prednisone that had me feeling like a new person/Wolverine.

The other day I went to an ENT who was supposed to be the "guy you go to when no one else can find your issue." Recommended by another doctor of mine who I have so much trust in. This "guy you go to when no one else can find your issue" spent about 10 (probably less) real minutes talking to me about my symptoms, without pushing much further to go into detail, and then told me that if I didn't want surgery, there was nothing he could do for me. Thinking that I was going to a miracle doctor, I was obviously DEVASTATED. How could there not be anymore options other than that? It was truly ridiculous and stressful and I'm just trying to get over it.

Are there any doctors on this forum, or ENTs specifically, who can give me tips on how to look for an ENT who specializes in JUST the nose. Just chronic nasal inflammation issues caused by turbinates, whatever. Most ENTs specialize in sinus issues, ear issues, or thyroid problems. I'm just completely dumbfounded that the doctor to end all doctors was a nothing dud that didn't even go over other options -- he seemed to barely care about the issue. I really don't know how doctors like that even thrive, and he had his own private practice.

I'd be GRATEFUL for any advice!!

2. TraceElement

Have you tried Claritin or Zyrtec? Maybe Flonase? Could be allergies.

3. YeahpIdk

Hi TraceElement, yes. I have tried many things pertaining to allergies, even been on steroids (which cleared it up, but only for a short while). Thanks.

4. choirsmash

Unfortunately, some of the most brilliant doctors are like that (take a note from House, M.D.). There may not be anything else to do for it. Studies on the ears, nose, and throat are particularly different from everything else since they're so close to the brain. Have you gone to doctors who aren't specifically ENTs? Ironically, they might be able to help you better. Like you said, ENTs often focus on the ears and throat instead of the nose, so a different doctor might be able to help you.

5. YeahpIdk

Let's not give him too much credit, now. House always comes through in the end and fixes everything -- this guy barely looked at what was wrong with me.

I feel like there has to be more to do than jumping straight to surgery, not every avenue has been explored. There are certain sinus washes I've read about, and surgery is supposed to be the last option. This guy barely gave me the time of day -- it was pretty horrible.

What you say about going to an ordinary doctor is interesting. You might be onto something, but I am still trying to find an ENT, since the word "nose" is in their speciality title, who is well versed in noses and nasal specific (turbinate specific would be lovely!) issues. There's gotta be someone out there who doesn't want to potentially cause more harm than good just yet!!

Thank you :slight_smile:.