1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Hair falling out

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Fiender, Feb 13, 2009.

1. Fiender

My hair is falling out of my head and I don't know what could be causing it!

I've been losing hair since the 9th or 10th grade (I'm a senior now) but it's gotten seriously bad now.

I don't know what to do, my mom is too cheap to take me to a doctor, and I don't want to grow up with baldness problems :tears:

2. kramer362

Finasteride (Propecia) and Minoxidil (Rogaine) are the only things really proven to help fight baldness.

You could try Propecia or Proscar. Both are a once daily pill made by the same company and FDA approved to prevent baldness, though it doesn't really regrow hair that's already lost. They are the same thing except Proscar is 5x the dose, making it much more cost effective if you cut the pill into fifths.

Rogaine is a cream or foam you rub into your scalp twice a day, and is proven to regrow hair. But when you stop using it, you will lose the hair it regrew.

I've been going through the same thing since I was like 18, and it fucking sucks. I've been taking 1/5 of a Proscar tablet everyday for not quite a year, and I haven't noticed any more hairloss, but unfortunately it takes at least like 18 months to determine if your hairline is going to slow down or stop receding. I chose this because Rogaine requires you to put shit on your head every morning, but when you stop taking either one you will start losing hair again.

Propecia/Proscar requires a presciption, which I got around by ordering it at an online overseas pharmacy. Sounds shady but the pharmacy I used is pretty legit and I have had no problems. Keep in mind it can cost a few hundred dollars per year though. And sorry this is longwinded but I have done tons of research because it's something I was really insecure about.

You look like you have good bone structure actually so if all else fails you could just buzz your hair real short and you'd still look good so try not to feel bad =]

#2 kramer362, Feb 13, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 13, 2009
  3. KaraBulut

Is your hair loss all over your head or is it just in one area (like the front above your eyes or in the crown of your head)? Does your hair look like it is getting thinner? Are you wearing baseball caps or anything like a headband that pulls on your hair?

4. jangel

Your hair loss may be premature balding but I had a huge problem losing my hair when I was on the atkins diet for 2 years. Turns out my body was lacking vitamins. Try taking a daily multi vit...maybe some flax-seed (sold at most grocery stores) and things high in folic acid...especially if you start to notice your nails getting thin as well this would be a sure sign..good luck and its a cheap thing to try

5. Jim1454

If your mom is too cheap to take you to the doctor, you're not likely going to use Rogain. It's pretty expensive.

I started losing my hair in highschool as well. It's just going to happen to some of us. Just like being gay, you can choose to fight it, or you can accept it and focus on things that you CAN actually work on.

A co-worker has a great expression:

6. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    ^ I like that quote Jim!

Sometimes hair loss is also caused by being under a lot of stress. If you can't see a doctor do you have walk-in clinics in your area that you could go to?

7. diegon3

who in your mother's family is bald bladness is passed down by mothers to sons mainly its rare for women to get this for that reason. so u could see a bit what u might be in for and just tri to keep a balanced diet cause hair is mostly made up from proteins so keep a high diet on those

8. Fiender

I'm going to bump this back up.

My hair continues to fall out. It is not getting better only worse. I've started to wonder if it couldn't be my diet, like maybe I'm not eating enough? Or maybe it's what I do/do not eat. Are there certain foods you are supposed to get in order to have a healthy scalp/hair?

9. KaraBulut

Just taking a glance at your profile pics, it appears that you probably have androgenic alopecia. But it's important to rule out other causes.

Hair loss is the area of expertise for dermatologists. There are some hormone level tests that they can do and they will rule out an allergic condition called alopecia areata.

10. CrimsonThunder

Hair does naturally fall out, are you sure its ALOT of hair thats falling out?

As mentioned make sure you dont wear hats too often. Make sure your hair is getting sunlight. Make sure you are being active. Make sure you are eating healthy.

There are LOTS of possible reasons as to why your hair could be falling out. Problem is finding the right one.

You could have a bad balding gene, but lets just leave the worst case scenario out of this.