1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Frostbite?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by pirateninja, Feb 14, 2009.

1. pirateninja

Meh, the title is just a stab in the dark by me.

Anyway, last Saturday, I slipped on some ice and hurt my wrist as well as ending up with a scratch on my back from a rusty nail. I was sent to A&E and was told that I'd just got a sprain and the cut would heal up quickly. Both have now healed very well, but I'd been applying ice to my hurt wrist. I used an ice pack used to cool wine bottles (ironic, no?) and after leaving it there for a while, some of the skin on my hand actually appeared frozen. The skin was hard and numb and white. So I removed the ice pack and let it go back to normal. Since that on the Saturday, although I've been using the ice pack, it hasn't happened anywhere else.

Anyway about late Tuesday or Wednesday, the skin that had frozen turned to like a rash. It's like the hard skin again, but red-ish and bumpy. Plus, it itches like mad.

Other than the itching, it isn't painful, but I've been applying cream on it to stop the itching. Any info on what it is, how long it'll last and the best way to treat it?

2. fallendream

coult it be like the oposite of a heat rash...like a cold rash?

im sure karabulut (not sure if spelled her/his username right) can tell you what it could be

3. KaraBulut

It might be a case of mild frostnip.

Frostbite results in the death of the tissue in the area- it turns white, then forms a blister, swells and then turns black. And it's very very painful.

Frostnip is like a minor burn caused by exposure to cold. It affects the top layer of the skin but the tissue underneath does not die, blister or turn black like is seen with frostbite.

You might use a more indirect form of ice pack- a bag of peas or a rubber glove full of crushed ice makes a good ice pack if you don't have one of the store bought ice packs. The skin should be cooled by the ice pack but should not be frozen.

4. biisme

Ahhh...I'm always being told to wrap bags of ice in towels before using. I suspect this is the reason....

5. Crackajack

Crackajack Guest

GO TO A DOCTOR
    lol best advice me thinks
    get that checked out.
    *makes holly a get well soon card*

6. SirBoobalot

Hoooly crap, I'm impressed you managed to keep a wine cooler on your wrist for long enough to cause that kind of irritation... I tried it once and lasted about twenty seconds before it was too painful to leave. :confused:

(Yes, I realise this post adds nothing to the conversation >.<)