1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

So, so tense in my upper back

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by DreamerBoy17, Mar 2, 2016.

1. DreamerBoy17

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My shoulders and upper back get so sore and knotted when I'm anxious and stressed. It's really frustrating. I haven't even worn my binder the past two days to maybe help preserve my back health but, lo and behold, after an especially bad day, my back is sore and tense and I hate it. Also my anxiety makes me sore in a ton of other muscles, but it's worst in my upper back because I guess I bunch up there when I'm stressed.

Any tips on how to deal with it? Or if binding possibly would make it worse? I already take hot baths which sometimes helps, and I'm waiting a few days to bind again. (sigh)

2. Really

Do you know what a foam roller is? I just got one recently and it is amazing for working on tight muscles in your back. If you get one, make sure you get the 36 inch one so you can work on it horizontally and vertically (so your head can be on the roller, too). There should be videos you can look at to get some exercise ideas. When you first start out, it will hurt like crazy but as you use it a little each day, you will definitely feel an improvement.

#2 Really, Mar 2, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 2, 2016
  3. paris

Gender Pronoun:
    Other
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Exactly what Really said! :thumbsup:

4. truebraethic

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Ugh, same. I feel for you. Maybe getting a massage would help, if you have the means?

5. Aberrance

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'd really recommend a massage too but I understand that dysphoria and the rest might cause more stress than there would be benefits of the massage. If there's any chance that you feel comfortable getting one though then they really do help. I've always had tight shoulders and back and getting the knots out feels like you've been shoved into hell for an hour but it feels great after.

About the binding making it worse, depends on your binder. GC2B tends to be pretty stretchy on the shoulders and I don't have much trouble with it causing more tension whereas the Underworks material isn't stretchy at all. I do think binding would have an impact so if you can wear it for less time, maybe take it off as soon as you get home, then it may help you out a little.

I'd also say watch your posture. Try to stand up straight and don't hunch over when you're sitting at a desk writing/on a computer. I've never heard of the foam roller Really mentioned but it sounds like a decent alternate to the massage so you might want to give something like that a go?

#5 Aberrance, Mar 5, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2016
  6. DreamerBoy17

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks everyone! I appreciate it!

I actually do have a GC2B binder. But if I'm being completely honest in the past I wasn't binding completely safely- I wore in it gym class and approximately 9-10 hours a day. I did take a break this entire week though, which was mentally painful but I didn't want to risk messing up my back even worse.

I have this large firm bouncy ball thing that actually helps rub out the knots a bit, even if it's a bit of a pain to use. And my family is sick of giving me massages by now. XD