1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Help me understand how a therapist is going to do more than medicine.

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Benway, Mar 4, 2016.

1. Benway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Anyone on here who knows my posts knows that I'm highly skeptical of psychotherapy and yet everyone here seems to have a hard on for it like it's going out of style. Lately my anxiety has taken a turn for the worse and has been attacking me with physical symptoms: headaches, stomach aches, nausea, vomiting, crying jags and back spasms. My psychiatrist (pill doctor) is very concerned about the anxiety taking physical form. I've expressed some interest in psychotherapy but I fail to see how it's going to help me when there's medicine that can help me.

I've not had good experiences with psychotherapy in the past, whether it was watching a doctor wave his finger at me trying to hypnotize me with EMDR or a female social worker who grabbed my chest and told me I was a "piggy fat fuck" then tackled me when I tried to run out of her office and told my Dad I attacked her when I was 12 years old, my views of psychotherapy are nothing short of hateful, spiteful and malicious to say the least. Why the hell should I put my trust in talking out my problems when I can just take a pill that will make me sleep easier?

Please, I want help, but I need to understand how talking it out is going to help. How does that do more than medicine? Logically it makes no sense, there's no chemicals being introduced in the brain from chatting with someone. There's no medicine repairing cell structure or chemicals balancing a chemical imbalance so what does it do other than act as a scientific form of a Catholic confessional?

2. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    So here's some useful info.

First, in case you didn't bother to read my prior post, EMDR is not hypnosis and has no connection to hypnosis. (However, hypnosis can, separately from EMDR, be extremely helpful for anxiety.) Properly used, by someone well trained, both are powerful tools that can be very effective as part of an overall strategy.

As for medications, they are making a biochemical change in the neurotransmitter pathways. They have no impact on the actual memories, experiences, and events that generally form the underlying basis for the anxiety. So in a way, medication is a band-aid that covers up the symptoms but doesn't really deal with the underlying issues that are driving the anxiety.

Additionally, good psychotherapy is about helping you to understand the filters and experiences that color your view of the world in a negative way. No pill is going to do that. Basically, good therapy helps you understand the context of experiences in a way you can't do by yourself, because you can only see the experiences you've had through the distortions you (and everyone else) deals with on a day-to-day basis.

And finally, in your case, there's almost certainly a lot of deep-down shame, self-loathing, and self-sabotage. Good therapy will help you to get at these difficult issues and help you to process and resolve them so that their impact on your day-to-day life is either significantly lessened or taken away entirely.

I think the challenge for you might be finding the right therapist since you've had several misfires. Depending on where you are, I might know someone and be able to make recommendations if you want to PM me.

3. Benway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I actually did read your prior post, which is what prompted me to make this thread. :thumbsup: As for EMDR, it sounds a lot like hypnosis. Do you or anyone else care to outline the differences between hypnosis and EMDR? I'm interested, as they say it's good for people who suffer from C-PTSD (with which I am diagnosed).

Are you saying that psychotherapy will alter my perception of the past? Rewrite it? I'm not sure that's what I want, I don't believe in the hyper-liberal fascist ideology that "he who controls the past controls the present and the future," from 1984. I have a lot of grimy memories about the past, but they're part of who I am. Unfortunate as it might be, the past helps define me as a person, I don't want to erase or block anything any more than it might be from my already fractured memory. If the medicine I take isn't doing that, then I certainly don't want psychotherapy to brainwash me (which has always been a real fear of mine, that psychotherapy is brainwashing).

You mentioned in your earlier posts that long-term psychotherapy can have similar effects as medicine in addition to this. Would you or anyone else care to elaborate how the neurotransmitters and whatnot are affected by long term psychotherapy? I want to know how talking it out or hugging it out or whatever it is I'm going to be doing with my hitherto unknown new therapist is going to repair my brain and prevent physical symptoms of pain onset by anxiety and depression via verbal communication instead of something lovingly created in a lab by scientists who study and literally dissect brains for a living.

I'll think about it, right now I have several problems in my own day-to-day life I have to address and I have a psychiatrist's appointment in a week where I'll talk with one of the nurses about psychotherapy so they can refer that information to the doctor who in turn may or may not be able to refer me to a good psychotherapist. I live in America, so my healthcare plan is shit and I probably won't be able to see anyone good without paying out the ass.

I appreciate your input though, and it was your prior post, like I said, that prompted me to make this thread. I've had a lot of bad experiences in my life so I'm naturally skeptical of the "benefits" of psychotherapy. I really do see it as little more than a modern day Catholic church confessional, but my Mother insists that it's so much more than that, as do you and many people here.

#3 Benway, Mar 5, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 5, 2016

4. Hi there,

I'm a therapist myself, but I like to leave my hat at work. Feel free to disagree with my suggestion, but here are some thoughts. I know I don't you well, so I apologize if I'm misunderstanding.

Finding the right therapist is what's going to make or break therapy. It's unfortunate that bad experiences with the wrong therapist turns people off. The only way to find the right therapist that can effectively help you is to interview them and get to know them. I have seen clients' anxiety improve when they let out their emotions and thoughts in a safe, compassionate and non-judgmental place. They can also learn coping skills and reframe their thoughts. Cbt and dbt are popular, as is art/expressive therapy. I can see why someone would think therapy is useless, if they aren't learning anything to help them improve.

But, you may hear some therapists make ignorant comments on lgbt issues, past trauma, minority cultures, and engage in unethical behaviors. Not all therapists are like this luckily. I would start with looking for someone that specializes in anxiety. Ask them how they can help you. Trust your gut, if you feel that they aren't a good fit. Let them know that you aren't comfortable diving in on the first session. Maybe you want to take your time to build trust. A good therapist will respect that.

I'm sorry that you had a bad experience. Honestly, I've had therapist friends that weren't the nicest people outside of the office. I remember my therapist friend telling me that she had sex in her own office.........Sorry, but that is disrespectful to clients for me. Therapists are human, like anyone else. I hope you are able to find someone that you click with.

#4 Fullofsurprises, Mar 5, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 5, 2016
  5. truebraethic

Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    This is interesting because I have the exact opposite opinion as you.

I hate psychiatric medication. I've been on all those pills for depression/anxiety/general fucked-upedness and none were effective. What I did gain from the experience was seventy pounds.

Therapy gives you a space for problem-solving and processing. It makes a lot more sense to me than chemicals. But I won't claim that it works for everyone.

6. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hypnosis is a process that involves calming down the conscious mind, essentially to get it to step back a couple of steps so that it is easier to address the unconscious mind. It is the unconscious where the triggers, filters, perceptions, thoughts, and memories are that impact your current mood, behavior, and interpretation of present-day experiences. What hypnosis (good hypnosis) does is help to create deeper understanding and context, working directly with the unconscious, that allow the conscious mind to reframe earlier-in-life experiences so that they don't impact your day-to-day mood and experience as much.

On the other hand, EMDR is more in the class of a brain biochemistry alteration. It isn't directly doing anything with filters, reframing perceptions, or altering context. Instead, what it is doing is, essentially, breaking the connection between the memory of a traumatic event itself, and the strong emotions associated stored with that memory. So, EMDR, when correctly and successfully used, changes your recall process so that you will still remember a traumatic event, but will no longer find it triggering or upsetting or otherwise causing strong emotions to come up. The mechanism by which EMDR disrupts this association is not fully understood, but it has been tested and documented for more than 20 years in numerous studies, the largest of which is with veterans suffering from PTSD treated by the Veterans Administration, where EMDR has been found to have long-term effectiveness in something like 80% of the cases where it has been used.

Interestingly, EMDR is now more commonly practiced with exposure to sounds in earphones rather than with eye movement, though both methodologies are effective. As I said in my earlier post, there are no "magic words" (or, for that matter, really any words) used with EMDR as it is properly used. I suspect that your practitioner may have been using that s/he simply made up, or thought was EMDR, but without actually receiving training in it. There are a lot of people out there claiming to use it who have never actually been trained in it.

No, there's no rewriting (nor would that be possible.) What it does is help to provide context that enables you to understand and reframe. For example, someone can say something to you that you take huge offense to... but then, you talk to them, and you realize that either you misheard them, or you completely misunderstood their intentions. Once you understand that what you perceived was one thing, but what a neutral, third-party might have observed was completely different, and no malice was intended, your entire perception of that interaction changes. Nearly all of the filters and negative biases we carry in life are a result of these sorts of things that happened early in life, and our child-brain did its best to make sense of them, but without the understanding of adult context and cues. Insight-based psychotherapy helps us to gain understanding of context from an adult perspective.

CBT and DBT work from the perspective of directly changing behavior, essentially teaching us to recognize when we're about to react in a certain way (or when we're feeling something), and changing our reaction to it.

And all types of good psychotherapy eventually alter and rewire neurotransmitter pathways in much the same ways that drugs (anti-anxiety or antidepressant medications, in particular) do, except that the change takes place over a longer period of time and is permanent, unlike the drugs which must be taken for a lifetime if other steps are not taken to effect change in the pathways.

Nor would any ethical therapist seek to do that. All of us are a product of our memories and experiences, and nearly all experiences, no matter how terrible, can, through the right lens, give us compassion, understanding, motivation, and quite a variety of other positive attributes. Therapy helps us to gain better access to these positive aspects of the experiences we've had.

That isn't even possible.

Here I'm a little out of my depth since my knowledge of neurotransmitter pathology and biochemistry is limited.

But one way I can describe it is this: We know, without question, that early childhood experiences deeply impact the way neurotransmitter pathways develop in the brain. Gabor Maté explains in one of his books that if a child (or, for that matter, animal) is born into complete and total darkness, and spends his first four or five years of life in total darkness and is never exposed to any light whatsoever, then the brain's ability to process the signals that come from our eyes never develops. Even if the child is later exposed to light, s/he will not be able to see because those pathways haven't developed. In similar fashion, the child connects deeply with, and mimics, the emotional mood of his caretaker parent (usually the mother.) If the child's environment, or the mother's mood or life situation does not provide for stability, what the child learns is that his environment is not safe; consequently, the neurotransmitter pathways associated with fight-or-flight (basic survival and protection) are hyper-developed; we've evolved to self-protect even at an early age. By contrast, the pathways associated with calming and relaxation do not get developed when the child constantly (or near-constantly) feels insecurity or stress in either his environment or his caretaker. This is a very well-documented phenomena (see the reference section of Gabor's "In The Realm of Hungry Ghosts), and gives rise to a predisposition toward anxiety (along with many other conditions.)

We used to believe that these neurotransmitter pathways were fixed by early adulthood; we now know that this is not true, that over time, those pathways that weren't properly developed can be developed, and there is considerable evidence of this from looking at long-term changes in neurotransmitter availability among people exposed to various interventions, from psychotherapy to group therapy or other group social interaction. The citations for this work can be found in Candace Pert's "Molecules of Emotion" and in Philip Flores' "Addiction as an Attachment Disorder".

Unfortunately, you can't assume that anyone in your regular medical healthcare network is going to be a good referral source to a psychotherapist. Psychiatrists on the whole have a very different view of mental health from psychologists and clinical social workers, by virtue of their completely different training. Most psychiatrists do not have the depth of training in, or knowledge of, psychotherapy methods, and unless they have deep interaction with psychotherapists (in the US, many -- if not most -- do not), they will probably not be the best source of referrals. It is true that most US health plans don't provide much in the way of benefits for therapy, but, realizing that, many excellent therapists work on a sliding scale and will do their best to accommodate what you can afford.

I completely understand why this is a scary proposition to you, especially given your history of really horrific experiences. And I applaud you for being willing to at least explore it as a possibility. Once you find the right one, though... it is a truly transformational experience.

7. Theron

Therapy is often important simply because drugs might mask the symptoms at best. They don't allow you to either vent or feelings or learn to cope with having them at all.

What if you only learn to cope with meds, run out, and have a panic attack? What good does that do you? A proper therapist will teach you how to deal with your anxiety without or in combination with meds so that you'll know how to breathe or refocus without hurting yourself.

8. Benway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    It seems I need to put a fair deal of time and effort into finding a good therapist. Should I make suggestions with my psychiatrist when I ask her about it? I'd prefer a Jungian therapist, primarily because I don't believe a goddamn word Freud ever said was anything other than an attempt to blot out his own homosexual impulses and frankly, I don't agree with his anti-religious, pseudo-Semetic Scientism. I'd prefer someone who could take me from a more spiritual (not Christian, but the weird pagan-like affiliations often associated with Jungian philosophy) perspective.

It's very, very rare that I run out of all my meds. Most of my meds act like a compartment on a ship. If one starts leaking (if I run out of one) another seals itself (the other meds can compensate for a brief amount of time), I don't think I've run out of my meds in a very long time. As I've said on a number of occasions, I'm on a lot of medicines that help me get up in the morning, keep me from killing myself during the day and help me fall asleep at night. Without them, I'd be a total wreck, probably institutionalized and in the back of a padded cell, banging my head on the soft walls, barely able to form a sentence.

The term "coping mechanisms" has always had negative connotations to me, while I don't inherently think there's anything wrong with coping mechanisms, the thought of being taught one as being a good thing in therapy when growing up and going in and out of bad shrink after bad shrink telling me that my bad habits were "coping mechanisms" is going to be hard.

9. Invidia

Invidia Guest

Far above the clouds, gazing deep below the Earth
    With all your past and present negative perceptions of psychotherapy, I can see how you must be weary of it. I can say this, though - I have a wonderful therapist, and my chest feels so much lighter every time I leave her office. I learn about myself and I get to vent my feelings. I feel so... pure and innocent after I've done this. It's really cathartic. I believe in therapy - given you find the right therapist, like has been mentioned above. If you would find the right therapist for you, I'd be happy for you! I think it would be a good investment in your happiness to try to find one.

All the best!

10. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It never hurts to ask, but as I said above, unless your psychiatrist spends a lot of time with a given therapist, it may be hard for him or her to form an informed judgment.

You make it sound like the only choices are Freudian and Jungian. That's not true at all. You also have some misconceptions about Freud. Nearly all therapists (including Jung) make some use of psychodynamic theory, which arises from Freud's work. While a lot of Freud's work hasn't stood the test of time, some of the most basic aspects (the separation between conscious and unconscious, and the different aspects of self) remain an important influence on pretty much all modern psychotherapy.

That said, there are very few therapists that practice pure Jungian psychology, and even if you found one, that would probably not be what you'd want. There are even fewer that practice even neo-Freudian (the evolved version of Freudian work), so again, I don't think you need to worry about that.

The reason a pure Jungian (or neo-Freudian) would not likely be your best bet is because those schools of thought are both almost entirely insight-based. Given your anxiety issues, you're going to need someone who is skilled with modern CBT (it's changed substantially in the past 10 years), and who integrates that with an insight-based approach to allow you to put your previous experiences in context.

That sounds like an excellent idea. There aren't a whole lot of them, but you might want to try and find someone who is transpersonal/eclectic or (easier to find) existential/eclectic. The transpersonal school of thought is lnfluenced by Jung, but incorporates a deeper understanding of the role of spirituality. The existential school focuses on meaning in daily existence. And as I said above, the CBT piece will also be important.

We all have coping mechanisms. They are a necessary part of life because we all have situations where something shitty gets thrown at us. Some coping mechanisms (meditation, gratitude practices, exercise, journaling, dozens of others) are healthy and promote long-term healing; some (drinking/drugs, binge eating, avoidance, raging) not so much. A good therapist will help you find your strengths in coping strategies and encourage you to work toward those that help you grow.

11. Benway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Oh, man. I have a lot to process with all of this. I was under the impression that almost all psychotherapists were Freudian these days; that Jung's work is largely discarded by "professionals" because of his esoteric and spiritual methods in favor of Scientism (science worship) and methods solely based in cold, hard science.

Of course, I go to a public mental health clinic which makes this an even greater task for me, and like I said, my health insurance sucks so the likelihood of this taking less than a year or two of searching is very, very slim.

12. I don't know any therapists right now that are Freudian, tbh. Most that I know are cbt, dbt, client-centered, mindfulness-based, etc. A lot of them are eclectic.

Asking your psychiatrist is a start. How about a primary care doctor? Have you looked at psychology today, if you're in the USA? I don't know where you live, but search engines give you access to bios and what therapy modality someone uses.

There's also online therapy, which is new. There are sites where you can interact with a therapist through email or teleconferencing. Some question it's ethics, but some clients are more comfortable that way.

13. Benway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    See, I thought CBT/whatever was Freudian. I've been under the impression that almost all therapists base themselves in Freudian, hard atheistic thought and are little more than glorified philosophy majors who pride themselves on their science worship.

I don't have a primary care doctor, I've been meaning to get one, but there's a lot standing in my way, right now. I've not looked at Psychology Today, again, because I cannot stand the hard atheistic viewpoint they take on the world. I find it bleak and unappealing, the thought that we are truly alone in the universe and that Freud was some sort of scientific "prophet" who they worship through Scientism, holding his views and the views of Richard Dawkins and the like on a metaphorical golden pedestal.

I don't think I'd buy into online therapy. Despite the technological advances in the last ten years, I still see the internet as a way to bitch about movies and share cat pictures with people, not a way to get serious help. I'd prefer a face-to-face thing where I could say I'm receiving real help.

#13 Benway, Mar 8, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2016
  14. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There are a few. Most are older therapists likely getting close to retirement. It's definitely a dying school of tbought, though as I said, nearly every modern psychotherapy methodology draws from the part of Freud's original work that has stood the test of time.

Nope. If anything, CBT is probably the methodology that draws least on Freud. It's a lot more behaviorally centered.
    While I'm sure there are a good number of therapists who are atheist, most schools of thought in psychotherapy are at least somewhat influenced by existentialism, which looks at life and meaning, and that tends to lead to some introspection into why we are here, and the idea that we all share common understandings and connection. For those who have spiritual beliefs, that, in turn, leads to a deeper understanding of their personal spirituality, whatever it may be. Psychotherapy, unless you go to a crappy therapist, will neither impose any set of spiritual beliefs, nor will it devalue any set of spiritual beliefs you have.

You have a lot of misconceptions about Psychology Today. They publish a lot of articles on the value of spiritual beliefs in creating meaning in our lives, they have a lot of articles by deeply religious authors (as well as authors who are atheistic or agnostic), and they take no editorial position one way or another on spirituality. If they did, it would likely not be atheistic, because nearly all schools of thought in psychotherapy recognize the value of some form of spiritual belief in creating meaning in our lives.

Additionally, they certainly don't hold Freud (or Dawkins) on a pedestal because, as I said earlier, practically everyone recognizes that many of Freud's theories have not stood the test of tine.

15. Sorry that I can't quote right now.

When I say psychology today, I'm referring to their "search for a therapist" option online and not the actual magazine. Each therapist listed there has their photo and biography. Many write what their counseling style is like and who they cater too (lgbts, trauma, anxiety, depression). If you can look at someone's photo, I think that helps to read their face. It's easier when you know who you're going to meet. I also think sending an email or having a phone call will also help you get a feel for the person. Trust me, there are some fun, upbeat and easy-going therapists out there. You may even find one that's closer to your age range.

Chip-yes, you're right. There are some Freudian therapists, but I think some of the younger ones might lean more towards psychodynamic.

#15 Fullofsurprises, Mar 8, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2016
  16. Benway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Fullofsurprises, yeah, see, I thought you were referring to a magazine. The last time I read something like that was in a therapist's waiting room and I didn't like the tone it presented itself in and is what I was referring to by "science worship."

Chip, when you say a therapist won't devalue my personal beliefs, I have a hard time believing that; one therapist I went to I told about a dream I had (my dreams are very important to me, I believe they have significant value in what they're trying to tell me) and he scoffed and said "Dreams are nothing more than a chemical breakdown of the day's events being played stretched out and backwards while we sleep," and I said
    "Well, Freud was into dreams, would you please analyze my dream?" again he scoffed ( !!! ) and said
    "Fine, but it doesn't really mean anything," he then, in the smarmiest manner he could analyzed my dream. I felt it had been a significant dream but the way he broke it down made me feel belittled, to say the least. This guy is well respected in my area and he's one of the only therapist's I've enjoyed going to, but this incident is another thing that really put a taint on my view of modern psychotherapy.

#16 Benway, Mar 8, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 8, 2016
  17. Typhoon

Typhoon Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Frankly talking to someone about what you're going to is in a sense, a ''great release'' as we like people listening to us, but that alone doesn't solve our problem. A therapist is best equipped to understand what you're going through. Medication doesn't really help, and quite a lot of people end up getting addicted to prescription drugs, especially anti-depressants. Most of the time the drug doesn't really give the desired effect we are seeking. Therapists are usually cast aside because a large number of people feel embarrassed that they are meeting up with one due to the impact and reactions it has on social relations.

Talking to a therapist is cheaper (in the long-term), is much more likely to yield results. I spoke to one over a number of years. She didn't pull a magic solution to my problems out of thin air, but after several sessions with her I can say she has helped me think more clearly about approaching life situations that were causing me some distress.

18. Benway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I get what you're saying about a great release, I do. But a therapist being cheaper than a psychiatrist? No, I gotta shoot that down right here and now. With my insurance I get my pills (generic) for free and my appointments with my psychiatrist are free. If I want to see the psychotherapist of my choice, I'd have to pay six hundred dollars per session to do so. I don't have that kind of money! Even if I did, I wouldn't be spending it on therapy, I'd be spending it on doing something I love. Six hundred dollars a session is a ridiculous amount of money and finding someone within my area is extremely difficult considering I don't know how to operate a vehicle and have to walk almost everywhere or take the bus.

19. Maybe that's something that you can ask a therapist. How do you feel letting someone know that you want to be validated? Or, that being invalidated is triggering for you? If you feel like a therapist is dismissing you, a good one will be open to feedback.

Another option is to ask for a sliding scale. Some therapists will lower their price, based on your income.

I also wonder about finding support groups. If therapy seems to scary, maybe a support group on anxiety would help?

#19 Fullofsurprises, Mar 8, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: Mar 8, 2016
  20. Chip

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You might find life a little more enjoyable if you didn't make a sweeping judgement based on a single data point :slight_smile:

You had a really shitty, and probably incompetent, therapist. First, no competent therapist would devalue any client experience or scoff at him. It's completely unprofessional and unethical to do so. Second, a competent therapist wouldn't offer his opinion of dream analysis unless there were a specific therapeutic value in doing so, particularly if the client had indicated that dreams are meaningful.

What you describe is appalling. I don't know who exactly it is that respects him, but no competent therapist who heard him say the above would have respect for that sort of exchange. It's completely inappropriate and unprofessional to have such an interaction with a client. My guess is that he didn't have any real training in dream analysis. It is Jung, not Freud, who is the primary dream analysis guy, and unless a therapist has separately and independently gone to the effort of studying dream analysis (which is a very, very complex, particularly Jungian dream analysis), they aren't qualified to do it, as very few schools include much dream analysis in their curricula. Jungian approaches are also not widely taught; there are a small handful of schools that specialize in it, but most others give passing discussion to Jung's work if it is discussed at all.

The more I hear, the more I understand why you're so against therapy. You've never had a good therapist. And that's really unfortunate. There are lots of good ones out there, and the problem is, if you don't know what you're looking for -- and most people don't -- it's really hard to find a good one, so it's often luck of the draw.