1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Social Anxiety. How can I make it go away?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by TheBiBoy, Mar 9, 2016.

1. TheBiBoy

TheBiBoy Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Hi Guys,
    I have not been that active lately but I have been really busy. I am getting extremely worried about my anxiety, primarily my social anxiety. I have not talked to anybody in the class except for one person and I have been with the same class mates for four years. I now feel that it is too late to talk to anybody as only two years left in school til college. Also, I joined a rugby club and I have yet to talk to any one of them. What can I do? Can I treat it myself? Or if I was going to get help from a professional how can I talk to my mom?Like get the courage and she'd be heartbroken for being so lonely and not telling her after 4 years same with my dad.

2. FoxEars

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hey buddy, take a breath. I'm in a very similar position, so I'll try my best to provide advice and support. It is not too late, even though you feel it is it ain't. To start off, try having small and simple conversations with someone.
    For example:
    You: Hi
    They may then reply with a similar greeting.
    You: If they haven't already, ask how they are. If they have, respond and ask them how they are.

It seems simple at a glance, but if you experience it the way I do, you may find this a challenge. It's honestly taken me two and a half years to get to this point, and still I shake like hell. It may be slow, but your classmates may have grown used to your presence.
    Hope this helped.

3. Aspen

Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    FoxEars is right. It's not too late to talk to people, you still have two years left. :slight_smile:

As for working with a professional, I think you should go for it. Do you have a school counselor that you could talk to? If so, they should be able to give you some support and help you figure out how best to get the help that you're looking for.

If not, you could tell your mom how you've been feeling and ask if she can make you an appointment to see someone. Anxiety is hard and you don't have to go through it alone.