1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Sex education

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Heldawg98, Mar 26, 2016.

1. Heldawg98

I'm frustrated that lgbt isn't represented well enough in sex education and the only thing represented is putting contraception onto a phallic object, with the suggestion that if it were real, it must enter a vagina . It's as if it's too touchy and controversial to mention and educators make it more awkward than it needs to be. Are the lgbt community supposed to figure it out on their own, a chance of getting it wrong and a chance catching something?
    Educators have complete disregard in my opinion :tantrum:

2. killswitch0029

Lgbt issues in schools can be a VERY touchy subject. Parents are a huge issue with such a thing and many (mostly out of their own ignorance/biases/whatever their issues are) would be pretty pissed off if their kid came home talking about how their learning about gay sex in school. Kids in the schools can be just as close-minded as the parents and that could lead to problems within the classroom itself.
    While I agree that it isn't represented well enough in sex ed, acceptance of lgbt still isn't all that great

3. Bouldghirl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I don't think the problem is teachers individual acceptance of LGBT issues and more to do with the attitudes of those who set the curriculum.

4. Systems

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, because of transphobia and homophobia, educators can't teach kids about us, and usually themselves know next to nothing about us.

It will be great when kids are taught about trans people and sex beyond penis in vagina sex.

Unfortunately as it is right now, we have to teach ourselves.