1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Dealing with antidepressants

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Xeno, Mar 26, 2016.

1. Xeno

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm not sure if this is the right place for this or not, but I'll just post this here.

A few days ago, my doctor put me on antidepressants and I'm not sure if they're working. The first day I took them, they seemed to be working, but since then they've been making me feel even more depressed.

But the main problem is that it's making me feel very queasy and uncomfortable. And I was if anyone might have any idea of how to stop feeling so nauseous. I'm only taking half of the pill and I'm taking it with food, but no matter what I do, I still feel queasy.

If anyone has any advice with dealing with antidepressants, I'd really appreciate it. Thanks.

2. thetruthurts88

Halo, I am a pharmacist, but you still need to talk to your doctor about this when you can.

Psychiatry medications are unfortunately very tricky to deal with because the science involved behind them is very...murky..and not exact/understood. So if you find yourself not benefiting from the drug do not hesitate to question your doctor, and get a result that satisfies you, instead of questioning yourself.

Some antidepressants need around a 2-4 week period for your body to adjust and tolerate those side effects. Taking it with food won't really help. Maybe try taking it before you sleep, it could be that the dose is still too high even though your taking half a pill. It could be that this drug is just not going to work for you all together and you should try something else. If you find the side effects tolerable enough to try for 2 weeks do so, if not just contact your doctor for advice.

As for getting more depressed, unfortunately there is a 'paradoxical' effect that can happen with anti-depressants where when you take them initially it may actually increase suicidal tendencies, so if you feel that way it is probably best you contact your doctor immediately or even go to an emergency room.

#2 thetruthurts88, Mar 26, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 26, 2016
  3. PatrickUK

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Speak to your doctor if you are experiencing side effects, particularly a serious worsening in your mood.

4. afgirl

Well, you don't say WHICH antidepressant it is, and that makes a huge difference. I see that really all your questions have been addressed in previous posts. However....just to let you know, I was put on Zoloft for my anxiety/depression and I found it had similar effects, so I switched to taking it at night as opposed to the morning and it helped immensely. But yes, please let your doctor know what's going on.