1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Nonprescription sleep-aids.

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by someguy82, Feb 23, 2009.

1. someguy82

What are some good over the counter sleep aids that aren't habit forming. I've been on a couple prescriptions, and find they don't really help and just make it more difficult to sleep when I don't take them so I'd prefer to avoid something like that. Any recommendations?

2. KaraBulut

Most of the over-the-counter (OTC) sleep aids are just small doses of some of the older brands of antihistamines. The newer antihistamines don't cause drowsiness like the older ones do.

I can't tell what country you are in from your profile but in the US, you can either buy one of the OTC sleep aids like Unisom, Nytol or you can buy an antihistamine like Benadryl (diphenhydramine) or Chlor-trimeton or Dimetapp (chlorpheniramine or brompheniramine).

As with any sleep aid, you should not drive after taking them.

3. donnie5

I commented on your other thread but i wanted to comment on this one too. I don't know about any of the over the counter prescription drugs but i do take a very small dose of ativan before i go to bed and that has solved all my problems... maybe you could do with a very mild sedative it could help you out a lot.

4. someguy82

I've had a bad experience with ambien so I've been reluctant to try another prescription sleep-aid. I'll talk to a doctor about atavin though.

My problem with antehistamine based sleep aids is that I always feel groggy and air-headed the next morning.

5. stilsurchin

stilsurchin Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    A good non pharmaceutical that many people have had good luck with is Melatonin. You can get it at most drug and health stores...

6. Adam

Marijuana, I cant sleep good without it.

7. Larry Myster

Ahh more of a legal way is apporiate unless he has the syentoms to get it in prescription, Weed is not good, changes people.

8. Bryan44

Benedryl always works for me..Unisom is good too

9. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Yeah, ambien can mess with you. My partner woke up one morning to find out he had made jelly during the night. That's not a metaphor. He actually had taken the fruit, the pectin, boiled everything, jarred it. He didn't remember doing any of that at all.

You might try some non-medical techniques, too. Hot baths, soothing music, meditation, masturbation. All simple, all free, all fun. :slight_smile:

Lex

10. Larry Myster

What? Sleep walking?

11. KaraBulut

Actually, it's often amnesia. It's a known effect of this class of drugs.

Unfortunately, it also seems to interfere with rational thought. I've heard people say they got into their car, drove through the drive-in at fast food restaurants and returned home. The next morning, they find fast-food wrappers and have no recollection of their trip... or whether they bothered to put on clothes before getting in the car. :grin:

12. Larry Myster

That is scary! I would hate that so mutch! Or atleast stop myself!

13. Tylenol PM works for me if I can't get to sleep. I just take it like an hour before bed if I know I'm going to have difficulty sleeping that night.

14. starfish

I second giving these a try. Masturbation work really well for me. Pretty much 10 minutes after I finish I'm out like a light bulb.

15. Thirded, and agreed.

16. limfjord96

ditto

17. EM68

I have used Tylenol PM. It seems to help. Masturbation is also another option. Like Lex and others have said is also fun!