1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Issues with chest binding

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Miles D, Feb 25, 2009.

1. Miles D

So, I'm an FtM transsexual, and I'm currently binding my chest (essentially wearing a tight & stretchy undershirt that compresses my chest so it looks flat.)
    The current binder I'm using is from Underworks, and is basically a nylon/spandex undershirt folded up so its more of the size of a sports bra.
    The thing is, the binder is really tight on my sides under my armpits [below my 'tumors'] where the end of the binder stops. So tight that it's really irritating the skin and now I have boils or something that are scabbing and have puss, and are sensitive to the touch. It's making the binders really uncomfortable.

So, any suggestions? Buying a new, better fitting & more expensive binder is kinda out of the question right now, and there is no way I can stop wearing them, my chest is too big.

Thanks, any help is appreciated.
    -Miles :slight_smile:

2. Numfarh

Numfarh Guest

Bandaids?
    That's what I do when I get blisters from shoes rubbing the wrong way.
    You could try to dry out the scabs with talcum powder so the underarm area just gets really rough.

OH WAIT. I JUST THOUGHT OF A BETTER IDEA. I used to swim alot. And with swimming comes swimsuits. Some of these suits are nasty buggers that rub against your sides and leave terrible welts. I suggest buying some glide stick that triathletes use. I used BodyGlide and I stopped getting those blistery things almost immediately. You just apply like an antiperspirant to the areas that are being abused and then go about your day as usual.

Awesome.

EDIT: Do not try to use Vaseline as a cheap alternative. It's just messy and a poor substitute.

3. KaraBulut

The sores that you are getting are a combination of a pressure sore (caused by loss of blood supply to the skin which kills the cells) and fungal overgrowth caused by the folding of the skin. If you continue to bind improperly, you can damage the skin.

Some women who have smaller breasts can bind with an elastic sports wrap-around bandage or with a men's small lycra shirt. Unfortunately, if you are more full-figured you need a garment that is designed for this purpose, allows air to get to the skin to keep it dry and does not have folds that can cause pressure sores on the skin.

I know that you are hesitant to buy a binding garment, but it really is the best and safest option for you. If you want to bind your breasts, then you should purchase a garment that is designed for that. These garments were originally designed for patients undergoing breast surgery and they have very few seams and do not cause pressure sores.

A basic compression garment is about $100 but it will last for quite a while and will not cause permanent damage to your skin.

Here are a couple of sites that have the type of garment that you need:

http://www.plasticsurgery4u.com/a/no-surgery_body_shaping/index.html

http://designveronique.com/cgi-bin/ic/dv2/1240.html

#3 KaraBulut, Feb 26, 2009
    Last edited: Feb 26, 2009
  4. jangel

Hello We are not trans but my partner does do drag. We recently picked up something at our local walmart. It is a type of weight loss belt.. It is noeprene and about a foot wide with velcro closures. instead of putting around the belly like it was intended we used 2 to go around her chest (she is a dd cup so one was directly around and the other more towards the top for the cleavage) they are stretchy and she said comfy too. The only prob was she did sweat but maybe if u put some thin cloth such as cheese cloth or something they would not be so sweaty. They were under 5 bucks each and we got in the fitness dept. Of all the things we have tried this definately flattened them out Good luck hope this helps

5. Orpheus

I know it was probably a slip, but I thought it should be corrected.
    We're not women. :wink:

EDIT: holy crap this is an old thread...I was going through the older pages. whoops >.<

#5 Orpheus, Sep 22, 2009
    Last edited: Sep 22, 2009
  6. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

I think he was talking about the biological state of the body, not the mental state.

7. KaraBulut

True. Binding is not available for the mental state. :slight_smile:

8. Miles D

haha, yes this is an old thread :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:
    & agreed, but I get what KB meant.

all this junk has been resolved and so yeah :grin: