1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

I'm seriously ill and I don't know how to deal with it.

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Mahidevran, May 14, 2016.

1. Mahidevran

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    So, I have Marfan syndrome. I got diagnosed about a month ago, which means I've been living with a serious genetic disorder for 26 years and had no clue about it. I could suspect I have it, but as long as I only guessed, I could deal with it because there was still a chance that maybe it's not this. But then I got my diagnosis and it has hit me so hard. It was just too much.
    Is there any way to adjust to the fact that I'm ill and start enjoying life again?

2. gryf

Don't adjust your life too much.
    Take the needed precautions. Take a med or 2. That should handle the cardiovascular issues.
    Get your eyes checked once a year. They need to look at lens placement and retina.
    Mostly, just don't physically over stress yourself.
    Go to marfan dot org, they have an on staff nurse to answer medical questions.

I've dealt with it a long time and my biggest problem was NH eyes. Which I got fixed.

Oh, and 2 skeletal surgeries. But, if you have gone this long without bad symptoms, your biggest concern is heart and eyes. Secondary is dislocations. Though I've never had that happen to me. I'm a relatively mild case. Must of what ails me is fixed or patched.

3. Mahidevran

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Thank you :3 I hope your health is better now :<
    It's not even that I had no symptoms. I was always taller than others and I've had long limbs, but it's not all. I've always had problems with my joints, particularly my left leg. My ankle aches like it was twisted when I walk too much, and my knees are in bad condition, too. I ended up having knee surgery at the age of 19.
    In middle school I got diagnosed with mitral valve prolapse and other cardiovascular problems after I suddenly fainted at PE lesson. This time I wasn't aware of the existence of Marfan syndrome, so I've never thought I might have it. Then I started to read more, then added 2 to 2, because I've noticed so many symptoms. And since I've been wondering a lot why so many things in my body are broken, I decided to seek for medical help that might help me sort things out. And the diagnosis... well, it wasn't a big surprise to me, but it has become real and overwhelming.
    When I was two years old, our doctor looked at my fingers and toes and said "He's going to be very tall". And this is all he did. He didn't think that a child with myopia, weak spine and arachnodactyly can have a mutant gene.
    It's weird to think about it this way. A mutant gene. It's just... sick. :x

4. gryf

Yeah.
    Well you know NOW. So you can help things.
    I relate, I had, surgery in early HS.

Go to podiatrist. Get insoles. My god they help.
    Ask Dr about those flexible braces athletes use, maybe that will help your knee/ankle?

Sorry for ignorance, what is Demi pan ace?

Being lgbt is hard enough without all the medical crap. But you can handle it.
    I have always had a full time job and am now, finally leaving my family home.
    Finances have been tough for my family. Ugh.

Anyway maybe my success will provide some inspiration/hope for you?

5. Mahidevran

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yay! I find something positive in your post, so I feel more motivated :3
    I'm glad to meet other people who share the condition with me, it's good to know there are people who understand and care and can give a good advice. I'm so grateful for all of this.
    I think it's a good idea to ask about these braces. I'm just so silly that I still seem to put my job above other things and I can barely find time to breathe. ._. It turns out that my heart is in bad condition, though. So I know I need to take care of it.
    And demi-pan ace is just demi-panromantic asexual. Though I think it may still not be a complete term for who I am, for reasons. :x

6. gryf

thanks.

labels can be helpful, but no one needs to be confined by any such label. :slight_smile: