1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Product questions

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by The Enigma, Feb 28, 2009.

1. The Enigma

The Enigma Guest

Okay, so I have Nair's hair removing lotion that comes in a pink bottle. Let me start off by saying it smells gross and I rather sniff vomit. I tried using it twice and removed a grand sum total of like 10 hairs. Is that normal? What are some other products I can use? Not looking for bikini wax or anything like that but just removing most the hair you don't see above the shorts line. As weird as it sounds, I like my legs smooth.

Any tips? Tricks? Products I should get? Oh, and I want PAINLESS. Very, VERY important.

I'm afraid if I keep shaving i'm going to clog the bathroom sink too. lol And that'd be difficult to explain.

2. NateDawg

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Oh goodness, sorry this made me laugh even though I know how you feel. I'm so sick of trying to shave my hair. lol... I got so sick of it I stopped. I can't seem to find anything that works, lol... I hate how i can grow hair everywhere but my dang face. It drive me bananas.

3. The Enigma

The Enigma Guest

Ugh I know. I was hoping this would be easier. And our sink clogs so easily so I tried doing it down the bathtub. BIG MISTAKE. My mom draino'd the whole house and she had a huge WTF moment. Thank god I get haircuts here otherwise it would've looked much more suspicious. Thought of doing it outside but if a neighbor sees that's going to be a problem. I've gone as far as scooping the water up using a bucket and tossing it on the other side of the fence. Lol

But the actual shaving part annoys me greatly. I dont cut myself but its annoying having to do it like twice a month. >_<)

4. Z3ni

Z3ni Guest

5. Rosina

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Hmm, I'm thinking the Nair stuff is more designed for female body hair, though I don't know if there's a difference... perhaps you didn't leave it on long enough; my hair's really thick so it does take twice as long to work than it says on the packet. I wouldn't worry about leaving it on longer than the 15 minute warning or whatever it is, it's not killed me yet. :slight_smile:

I'm sure Karabult will have a go at me for saying that, but I don't use the stuff any more. Most of the the time I just shave my legs and I've taken to waxing them if I need them smoother for a more than two days. I
    I know you asked for no pain, but in all honesty, I've waxed my legs only twice and 60% of my hair hasn't grown back and what has, it really fine and light, so perhaps you ought to consider getting it done? Professionally the best bet, since they can do it really well for you, with the least amount of pain :slight_smile:

Either that or you could look into permenant hair removal, but it costs a fortune. XD

The only other product I can suggest is (and I'm not sure if they're stocked in the US) these hair removal pads. My mum uses them, they're essentially really really fine sandpaper sheets that you rub in circular motions over the hair to remove it. The UK sells them everywhere: http://www.buycosmetics.com/body-zo...tte-hair-remover-pad--plus-5-refill-pads.aspx It's a UK site, but just so you get the idea and know what to look out for.

Hope this helped ^^

6. Courtneyyy

I've found that nair doesn't work. I've tried it a couple times with no luck.

They have something similar in the US, I saw an infomercial on them and was very intrigued.I don't remember what they're called. Do they actually work?

7. jangel

ok so I love Veet sensitive formula...works great, smells much better (still a little weird but not like nair) it does not irritate me and everything does. It comes with a little plastic no bladed razor and after 10 -15 mins the hair glides off. It is like 6.00 a tube at wal-mart. That is all I use on my legs so hope it works -Jen

8. KaraBulut

There are several options for guys who want to remove the hair on their legs. A few years ago, guys with smooth legs would have been considered odd but these days, so many young guys keep their legs shaved that no one gives it a thought.

If you want a smooth shave, then a traditional disposable razor works fine. The more expensive, multi-blade razors do not work well for body hair- they are designed for softer facial hair. You want to use a less expensive 1 or 2 blade razor with LOTS of soap, lotion or shaving cream. The disadvantage is that a razor can cause razor bumps and can nick the skin if you're not careful.

Another option is to use a depillatory like Nair or Veet can be used. The advantage is that depillatories do not nick the skin and they will get much deeper than a razor. The disadvantage is the smell (the smell is like a cross between a hair permanent and rotten eggs), they are messy and they do not work well on thicker, coarser men's hair. A word of warning- depillatories come in different strengths: do not use the full strength on your private parts, there is a special lower strength solution that is made for the "bikini line".

If you want to just have less hair or you want to thin the hair, using a clipper is your best option. You can clipper outside if you're concerned about clogging up the drain. The good thing about clippering is that it won't nick the skin if you use the proper guard, it can be done outside of the bath or shower, no stinky-smell messy lotions and you can groom to different lengths. You can also use the clipper on other body parts. The disadvantage is that it will not give a completely smooth shave (there will be a little stubble) and a good clipper is not cheap (but it will last a long time).

If you want to invest in a clipper, a good one is the Philips clipper- it runs about $35 for the clipper or $50 for the set with guards. They have an entertaining website here: http://www.shaveeverywhere.com

One other option is to go to a salon and have a professional waxing done. A waxing will give you a very smooth finish and it lasts a long time. You don't have to worry about razor rash although there can be some bleeding and irritation afterward. Waxing is not for the wimpy, though. Most guys flinch at the pain.

9. EM68

I have the Body Groomer and it works well.

10. briguy

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I suggest the Braun Body Cruzer it works really well and you can use it in the shower. It also comes with a variety of different blades for different parts of your body

11. Seanboy23

Actually, I thought I had seen Nair for men once, but couldn't remember where. As much as I looked for it again, I never found it.

Lo and behold, they have a website now with a whole new line of products designed specifically for our coarser body hair. Haven't tried it yet but plan to!

check it out at www.nairformen.com

#11 Seanboy23, Mar 4, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 4, 2009
  12. The Enigma

The Enigma Guest

Thx Sean I might give the guy version a chance.

13. Jim1454

That IS cool! I had no idea!

14. LiquidAxis

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I can't speak for the specialty line Seanboy23 mentions, but I wouldn't try anything else. I have had zero luck with any sort of Nair cream. I manage to get skin irritation and not remove a single hair AND I don't even have sensitive skin. I might need to check out the new product line.

Shaving is an easy standby, but I understand the inconveniences mentioned.

Never tried waxing... so I understand you can't attempt it on yourself??? As for going to a professional, do they have to advertise that men are welcome? I'm not in a very progressive area, and any salon type place that offers waxing seems to cater exclusively to women. Do you just call up and ask? Oh, and price wise, does it last long enough to make it worth the $?

15. KaraBulut

It depends on the neighborhood. In DFW, you'll find no problem finding a salon that does waxing for men- certainly in Oak Lawn, Oak Cliff and Park Cities.

In the 'burbs, there are lots of guys who have their backs and unibrows waxed.

The aetheticians that do waxing have waxed it all. Just call a finer salon and ask for the cost.

16. starfish

I second this recommendation. I bought one and it works great. I've tried using a razor or trimming with scissors before, and I would always end up with ingrown hairs. I have not had that problem with the Body Groomer. It was fairly inexpensive also, I think I only paid $25 for it.

17. someguy82

Well from personal experience of getting my knee taped up for high school football, and there still being spots where the hair has never grown back I guess I'd recommend that. But if you're legs are anywhere near as hairy as mine, prepare for epic pain.

18. sdc91

I have the Philips BodyGroom (what KaraBulut suggesed and what EM68 and starfish have).

I'm not sure I'd recommend it for the money. It shaves off the hair, but it tends to leave bumps and red spots (ingrown hairs?) for a few weeks. At least for me... maybe I'm not doing it right. I'm just using it dry.