1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Decided to try Topomax again

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by beckyg, Feb 28, 2009.

1. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I decided to try Topomax again for migraine prevention. I tried it last summer but got over-heated and almost passed out and also had mood swings. I have not even worked up to the full dosage. Since its the middle of winter, I haven't had the over-heating problem. I have had the mood swings. I also have had stomach pain, body tingling, funny tastes in my mouth, and a sinus infection. (all side effects!) That was enough to convince me I didn't need to be on this stuff so I'm weaning myself off of it again. One day this week I was trying to work on the PFLAG newsletter and it was taking me hours to do something that I can usually do in an hour. I just couldn't focus. Yesterday though I got really scared. I went in the grocery store and when I came out I couldn't remember where my car was. This was not a simple being in the wrong lane. I was completely on the wrong side of the parking lot. My heart was racing and I was so embarrassed!

I decided to do some research on this drug today and found a support group. These people said that it had messed with their minds so much that they could not remember what simple words meant. You wonder how drugs with this many side effects get on the market! My doctor who prescribed this did not warn me at all.

2. Greggers

Oooooh becky (*hug*) That is horrible :frowning2:

I never trust doctors. I always consult many. It helps that my mother was a nurse too. I had a problem awhile ago were i took meletonin pills to get to sleep, but i was never told taking them while depressed can deeply worsen your depression. I got to a few very low points because of that. I know you have talked about your migraine problems before, and i really wish i knew something to help you out, but all i can do it virtual hug you :frowning2: I hope you find something that helps and that this drug did not screw you over too bad honey!

(*hug*)

3. Paul_UK

Paul_UK Guest

A friend of mine is on anti-depressants (prozac I think) and they seem to be making him worse not better, plus he's having nightmares and suicidal thoughts. His doctor says to stick with them for a bit longer and see what happens.

4. KaraBulut

Topamax is one that I have some personal experience with.

I hated it.

The studies on Topamax showed that it had a lot of promise with migraine prevention. It was supposed to be a miracle drug- the latest thing is migraine treatment.

The first day that I was on it, I felt very disconnected and weird.

The second day I was on it, I felt like everything around me was moving in slow motion.

The third day, was worse than any migraine. I felt like my mind was just not working. It took major effort to remember things that are usually no effort. And my ability to focus or do things like math in my head were just gone.

I never made it past day 3. This was at 25mg/day. The target dose is 100-200mg/day.

I would rather have the migraine.

5. Mickey

One of my nieces has migraines. She got off all meds and tried acupuncture. It works for her. Maybe you can consult someone about this and give it a try. It would certainly be worth it...and NO side effects! Just my 2 cents.... Good luck,Becky.

6. That's the thing with a lot of prescription drugs unfortunately. The side effects and risks often outweigh the benefits. Adderall is like that, it's supposed to help with ADHD and obesity but because it's comprised of amphetamine salts the risk for addiction is extremely high. Klonopin, a muscle relaxant and panic attack reducer is also highly addictive. It's like on commercials about prescription drugs they're always like oh try this new drug and then they rattle off a list of like 10 unpleasant side effects. Makes you wonder why anyone would want to take them. I hope you get it all sorted out, if you can get better without being medicated that would be ideal.

7. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I have thought about this and will definitely consider it!

8. KaraBulut

Both accupuncture and biofeedback have a good track record with migraines.