1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Anyone Bipolar?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Ryn48, Mar 1, 2009.

1. Ryn48

I was diagnosed with bipolar I at age six. Anybody else on EC bipolar? Just wondering how prevalent it is in the gay community.

2. DexterMorgan

I think I am...

3. Phantasma

I've suspected it on some occasions.. but I'm probably not.

4. cromig

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    i am. i dont like it. but its who i am. my boyfriend is too. its kinda hard and funny at the same time. we both know that if one is acting weird, what they are going thru and what to say and do.

5. Agerardii

I was diagnosed with type II bipolar when I was 17. I think the prevalence is something like 3% of the general population (in the US that is). I haven't heard anything about how/ if that changes specifically in the gay community. It's nice to know there are a least a couple other bipolar ECers! You guys can feel free to come to me if you need anything at all.

6. premiumheart

I MIGHT be bipolar. I'm seeing a psychiatrist this month just to confirm if I really am one. I've had really sudden and really intense mood swings recently, and even I have a hard time keeping up with it.

7. Dazed

Dazed Guest

at age six someone said you were bi-polar?
    i would really suggest getting another opinion.
    my sister was told she was bi-polar for 5 or so years only to find out last year she was taking a bunch of meds for nothing.

8. Ryn48

No- it is generally not the most for sure thing to be diagnosed at six, but I am definitely bipolar. I'm not on medication or in therapy, either, so it's not like I would be wasting money if I wasn't. But I definitely am.

9. JustBecause

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I was diagnosed as major depressive with hypomania (type 1) around mid-march. It's a bit confusing and hard to deal with, actually.

10. mattypants

i might be... id rather not findout right now though

11. NeSiGaXe

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I've had a number of diagnoses, one of which was bipolar. I know fur sure that I have major depression, and an anxiety disorder, but I'm not so sure about bipolar.

12. katie

sorry, but can someone explain to me the symptoms...someone said to me that i might be...but i dont know enough about it.

13. Jennn

I'm diagnosed bi-polar!

14. -Michael-

I was told i might be, and that i'd have to go back for tests.

But i slipped by it so i didn't have to go.

But i have to go back soon for a diabetes test and he might slip it in that i should have a test.
    But that was a year ago. So it's fine.

15. SirBoobalot

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bipolar_disorder#Signs_and_symptoms

I strongly suggest you don't try to self-diagnose. If you think something's wrong, go to your doctor and just say that - "I think something is wrong, this is what I've been experiencing that makes me say that...". It's all to easy to look at a list of symptoms and recognise every one of them in yourself, even if they're not actually there to any significant extent. Let the doctors do the diagnosing, that's what they're there for - and even they have trouble getting it right sometimes.

I do have some variety of depressive and anxiety disorder(s), but not bipolar. My godbrother's mum is bipolar, but happily she's slow cycling, so it doesn't destabilise their family life too much.

16. jotheoneandonly

i have S.A.D. but i haven't looked into it much. its seasonal affected depression for anyone who was wondering. its happens in alot of people. basically, in winter you're really depressed and upset and in summer you're not. its to do with how much sunlight you recive.

17. Confusicus

Confusicus Guest

I was diagnosed bipolar last year after a year of struggling with depression, was given meds directed towards unipolar depression, but they didn't help the bouts of mania, and I was continually was dropping and hitting the lowest of lows. I was put on lamictal and stayed on it for about 2 months, I felt like it wasn't helping so I gradually came off of it. Well guess what, back to the cycling of extreme ups and downs. Kinda strange actually my mood swings have aligned with the cycling of the moon, I can almost predict how I'll be feeling by looking at the calendar and the moon phase. I am going back to see the therapist soon, and will probably give the lamictal another shot, maybe a higher dosage this time. I just wish there was some kind of natural way to balance my brain out.

I'm doing more research on this and hopefully I can get myself somewhat leveled out because living like this is beyond difficult.

18. Courtneyyy

My brother was diagnosed manic depressive, which is pretty much the same thing. He's straight tho (however in highschool some people thought he was gay).

19. Swamp56

Swamp56 Guest

I had a psychiatrist tell me I have it because my mom was misdiagnosed with it and my dad has bad depression. I had another psychiatrist tell me I'm schizoaffective, which is a mix of schizophrenia and bipolar disorder.

Though, my current counselor disagrees with both those diagnoses.

20. Xandyn

Xandyn Guest

I have been diagnosed with Bipolar disorder type II last year. I am on Lamotrigine and it seems to help although I've been on a high for over a month now! .I am a professional visual artist and I cannot believe the stuff I have been pumping out! My creativity has always been amazing during my manic phases. Thinking outside the box is great. I stay in contact with my doctor every three weeks untill I find my "sweet spot" regarding my meds.
    I've spent weeks looking for a GLBT site where I can discuss Bipolar disorder with others like myself.
    I hope this place can offer peer support and advice for people with bipolar disorder.