1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Body image

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Alex768, Mar 6, 2009.

1. Alex768

My friend and I have been discussing if I have a body image issue or not; and if I am at risk for a more severe disorder such as anorexia.

So, my friend and I skipped 4th and 5th period to go to her house. I decided that I wanted to try on her pants to see if I could fit into a Hollister size 1. I did end up fitting rather well into her pants so she said something along the lines, "You look ungodly skinny." I responded by cheering.

I never let myself go hungry, but I have been known to be rather obsessed with calories and fat content. My friend Sarah stated that I make a lot of unnecessary comments about my weight, and how to lose weight.

I have lost 12 pounds since September, going from 150 to 138. Obviously, 12 pounds in 5 months really isn't an unhealthy loss. I'm 5'8", so my weight is well within a normal BMI.

I'm just worried that I may show signs of anorexia or perhaps an unnecessary obsession with my weight. The goal of this post is perhaps to exchange advice about how to change my habits, if they need be changed.

2. Alex19

i eat whatever tastes good. regardless of fat and calories... but w/e i can start working out this summer!

but so long as your healthy, its all good. im like 190 lbs... at about 5'10/11''(it always changes whenever i get it checked...)

3. sdc91

I think that's normal. Dunno, I'm 5'8" and 135. When I hit 140 and it's because I've been eating too much, I start to back off a bit. If it's because I've been gaining at the gym then I just don't care.

4. bex22

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    i'd say eat when you are hungry and eat what you are hungry for. don't stress about calories -- what's more important is the nutritional content

5. diegon3

wow for me the problem is that when i'm bored i walk around my kitchen to see what i can munch on but I am about 158 lbs and am bout 5ft 9"

6. ricoca

For me, I care about nutritional and fat contents cause you can still get many diseases even though you are "skinny".

And why did you lose so much weight? Is it because you just stopped eating or you got sick or something?

Might wanna check that out :grin:

7. Alex768

I wasn't really comfortable with my weight, so I decided I was going to make a change. It really wasn't drastic; I started with small things, like replacing juice with water, regular with light, etc. But since then I think I have ingrained that diet mentality into my head, so I check the calories/fat of everything without even thinking twice.

I'm really happy with my weight now, but if it's unhealthy to have the mindset I do, I would gladly change it.

8. Ionless

I don't understand why people want to be THAT thin. I mean i'm only 60 kg (think thats around 130lbs) but i'm 6ft tall. Which makes my BMI .... a measly 18.1. And i think I'm way too thin for my own good (not that I don't try to gain weight, but somehow i just don't!) and i'm very frustrated.

9. LiquidAxis

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    A lot of posters sound like they have high metabolisms. This is how you can eat all the time and never seem to put on weight. Just a warning, metabolisms do tend to slow gradually as you age, so it is never too early to learn healthy eating habits.

Also, being overweight seems to be an epidemic in the USA. I think this is partly attributable to culture, and also because healthy food is more expensive than unhealthy food. You can fill up on awful food for extremely cheap. I mention this, because you may be a great weight healthwise, but feel too thin if you are comparing yourself to the general population (if you live in the US).

I think a good indicator is the amount of energy you have. People who starve themselves (body image issues) are often exhausted because they aren't providing their body with any fuel.

10. kettleoffish

I'm about 5'10"-5'11" and a little overweight, but I've never done anything much about it to be honest. I recently started working out a bit and doing a little more exercise because I'd rather be thinner than I am, and I have noticed a difference, but more in my fitness levels than my physical appearance, I don't mind though, it never hurts to be a bit fitter.

11. Alannah26

Anorexic people tend to be obsessed with everything they eat. They have a cognitive disfunction- basically, they see themselves fat when they're really skinny.
    They start off by light diets and excercise, then it gets worse, and eventually it turns out to be starvation- 15% of them die.

I dont think you have anorexia, unless you think you're fat. And you're BMI is normal. Numbers under the 18 indicates anorexia, if you feel you have an eating disorder, I advice you should go to the doctor. I'm only a med student... so I cant say much.

12. Alex768

This is what I was worrying about. I started light dieting in september, cutting out simple things and replacing sugary drinks with water. Since then it has been so hardwired into my brain that I don't even think about dieting.

When I hit 141 in early February I was thrilled, then I hit 138 late Feb., and finally just recently I hit 137 lol. As I said before, I never starve myself, but I feel like I could have a very harmful mentality.

13. Stuie

Body image is one of those awful things used to sell clothes. Go into any "in" clothes shop. DO YOU THINK THOSE MODELS EAT ANYTHING EXCEPT CELERY AND WATER CRACKERS?!?! My body image is ok, but those shops make me feel awful about it. Ridiculously small clothes sizes don't help either, neither do skinny leg jeans or the media. Fashion is made for skinny people, but people who aren't ridiculously skinny can often look better than the far too skinny people.

14. ricoca

I totally don't think it's unhealthy!
    I think you're good :grin:
    I'm like that too now that I am pulled to doing the diet thing I check calories most of the time.
    It's good to know how much calorie you're putting in your body and how many of those are actually "empty" calories.
    I'm doing the same thing actually, avoiding sugary drinks and replacing everything with 'light' or 'diet' and going to the gym 3-4 times a week if possible.

JUST MAKE SURE that you're still getting your recommended carbs, proteins, fruits and vegs, fibers etc.!

And i think you're already reaching goal weight so stay there!

15. ArcaneVerse

There is more to anorexia then just being skinny and keeping a healthy weight although thats how it can start. There's a whole psychological aspect as well.
    Do you hate your body?
    Do you feel sick at the thought of gaining weight?
    Do you have a healthy appetite?
    Do you love food?
    To me it sounds like your fine, nothing to worry about, nothing wrong with being skinny.

16. Kryz

I think the problem you might have now is that you WANT for some odd reason be skinny...

You should consider why, and what good would that be to you. And also what is so bad with being like "slim" instead of skinny.

I might of course be TOTALLY wrong =P

17. pokeypanda

Honeslty as long as your healthy you should be OK :slight_smile:

18. Greggers

Im about 165 and 5'9

I was down to 159, but i ate...and ate...and ate....when my life started to get on the verge of collapse. I think thats reasonable though. I definitely have a tiny bit of pudge showing when im shirtless, but i look fine in my cloths still...im still a good pant size too. I dunno, i stop caring as much. When im 19 im scared ill go anorexic to get my body skinny though, for when i go clubbing. Ive been known to stop eating...

19. jcoventry1

so long as you are healthy then its ok, do keep an eye your calorie intake to ensure that you take in enough calories a day to cover what you burn during daily activities, if your weight does get down to the lower end of the "healthy" BMI range then i'd advise speaking to your doctor about it,

stay slim if thats what your happy with but dont let yourself get unhealthy

stay well(*hug*)