1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

how much is too much?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by cjtom, Mar 6, 2009.

1. cjtom

cjtom Guest

There was a safe sex lecture at college last week which we were made to go to! and it was rather eye opening. The statistics about sexually transmitted infections where quite shocking, however there was something else that bothered me...

When it came to safe sex we were told the ways in which we could be safe:

Condom - most used form of contraception used in anal and vaginal sex

Femme dom - lady condom that is apparently used alot by prostitutes

Dental dam - mouth guard that looks like a stretchy cloth used for femal oral sex and rimming.

Rubber glove - suggested for use in anal fingering and fisting.

I kinda think it seems a little excessive! and may cause a loss in sexual pleasure!

So what do you all think?

Would you use all or any of the things listed above to be as safe as possible?

Would it bother you if your boyfriend/ girlfriend wanted to use them all?

have you tried them and do you think its necessary?

2. The Enigma

The Enigma Guest

I don't mind a condom but I've never seen a dental dam before. And a rubber glove is kinda silly...he's not giving me a colonoscopy or anal inspection...I love your topics Chris. They always make me laugh! (!)

3. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I think for fisting (were I ever inclined to try it, which so far I have never been) I would definitely want to use or have someone use a latex glove. For fingering it seems a bit excessive.

Dental dams are not just for women's use--guys use them too! I think they make a certain amount of sense for rimming. It does decrease sensation but then a lot of people don't like the idea of sticking their tongue up someone's, uh, well, butt.

My personal opinion is that for vaginal and anal, people MUST use protection. To me, it's just common sense. I'm sure it does decrease sensation somewhat but let's face it, it's not like sex is short of sensation. :lol: And the potentially awful circumstances of not using protection make the whole "pros vs. cons" thing easily end up indicating protection is warranted.

Some guys use condoms during oral sex, too. I have in the past but generally don't. That's a risk, of course, but in my mind it seems like a reasonable one.

4. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I've used gloves for fingering. Not for disease protection, or even sanitary reasons, but because I've got the world's most jagged fingernails. :slight_smile:

Lex

5. KaraBulut

I've tried them all. I recommend them all highly.

6. cjtom

cjtom Guest

For what reason/s?

7. beckyg

beckyg Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    I had no idea what a "dental dam" was but my lesbian friends from PFLAG clued me in. :icon_redf We learn something new everyday!

8. cjtom

cjtom Guest

Well I had heard of it but didn't exactly know what you did with it! I, and other people, assumed you put it over your mouth (though what if you suffocate?) It actually goes over the vagina!

Imagine the embarassment of the guy who asked the person doing the lecture to "try it on!"

:grin:

9. Dazed

Dazed Guest

the thought of dantal dams make me freak.
    i dont know why. maybe its the name. haha.
    im allergic to latex. and i wont use sheepskin condoms because thats nasty.
    so i have only ever used a condom with a guy once. >_>
    risky...yes. but better then a burning itchy..yeah.

10. cjtom

cjtom Guest

don't some of the diseases make you burning and itchy anyway?? Just a thought :thumbsup:

11. joeyconnick

joeyconnick Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Uhm... sheepskin condoms don't protect against HIV. You want to use polyurethane condoms if you have a latex allergy.

12. ricoca

I think for me, I'd rather be in a monogamous relationship and get tested but that's never possible huh?
    LOL
    I always think you should wear protection though. I mean, why risk when you can prevent?

13. waitingsucks

I wish they gave that sort of talk at my school. But no, it's pretty much abstinence till marriage.

Dental Dams and Femme Doms? Don't really know much about these, can someone clue me in? lol

14. KaraBulut

It's actually femdoms or female condom... as in condoms but for women. It's a larger condom type device with a ring on the end. It's placed inside the vagina with the ring on the outside.

This is a picture:

[​IMG]

A dental dam is a sheet of rubber that can stretched and placed between the tongue and whatever you wish to put your tongue on.

[​IMG]

Because you shouldn't be having sex if you're not willing to take responsibility for your health and your partner's health.

15. waitingsucks

thanks. the dental dam photo made me lol

16. Apocalypte

And of course, the cheaper version of a dental dam is a piece of Saran wrap.

I haven't used one, but wouldn't have an issue if a partner asked me to. The few times that I've slept with guys, condoms have always been used.

17. Dazed

Dazed Guest

well dont really need condoms now..since im 98% sure im a lesbian but thanks :] do they sell them at all stores?

18. Dazed

Dazed Guest

i think schools neeed to notice that abstinence till marriage is something that most likely wont happen, and prepare students to be responsible.

but the crazys that run the school would never want to say its okay to ahve sex >_<

19. Axon

For the sake of both partners, I believe it would be better to use all of the above (i.e. the condoms, the dental dams, and the rubber gloves for the men and the female condoms and the latter two for the women) during copulation. Do I consider these to be extreme measures? Not really. You're just considering your health and your partner's health. In other words, I would gladly use them if inquired to do so. Will sensation be lost? Yes, but it's a risk worth taking to protect yourselves. :thumbsup:

20. silas99

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Totally agree with you on that one. Kids are going to have sex at a young age....it's the way society is going. At least give them a fighting chance by giving them all the info on STDs, pregnancy and protection. I remember that venture packed day at school when we all had to put condoms onto the most unrealistic artificial penises....but most people were 16 already and I'd say at least 60% of the class weren't virgins. Sex education definitely has to be introduced at a younger age.