1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Can't focus

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Paralyzer, Mar 8, 2009.

1. Paralyzer

I think I need Ritalin or something. I can't seem to pay attention anymore and I can never bring myself to do my homework or anything in general that requires thought. I can do puzzles, but I zone out as I'm completing them (such as Sudoku).

I'm concerned because I used to be very intelligent and persistent at school work. As of this year, I have let myself go completely and I tend to forget that homework was ever an existing phenomenon since I don't remember to do it until it's too late at night. Even so, if I remember to do it earlier, I stare at my work and fail to touch pencil to paper.

I also think I have a phobia of doing my homework. This is obviously not good and most people would probably think this to be some extreme excuse for my laziness. I seriously cannot focus at all!

I took my writing SOL the other day (which is a test where you get an unlimited amount of time to complete a written (basically 5 paragraph response) essay) and I ended up taking it for 6 out of my 7 periods in that day when most people completed it within 2 periods. (The suggested time frame)

I found myself constantly distracted and I was third to the last person in the school to finish my paper.

I'd like to know your opinions...
    Also, what's the difference between ADD and ADHD... if there is one
    Please say something, I feel unnecisarily stupid when I have not done anything to my health to provoke this.

I'm not sure if unnecisarily works there.. but you know what I mean..
    lalalala...

2. Kirakishou

Are you getting enough sleep? Even if you don't feel tired, lack of sleep does have its effects on you.
    If not, then I've been through the same thing. I used to be very diligent. As a kid, I read tons and tons of books. Nowadays it's a miracle if I finish reading the books assigned in class.
    I think it's just a phase, it's been a very long phase for me though. >.>

3. Paralyzer

Omg! I've been getting more sleep than I ever had in my life! Haha.. not an unhealthy amount, but I started going to bed at around 10pm when I used to stay up all the time until like 1:30 or even 3 am some nights.

People have commented how my eyes and skin look brighter. My brain is just really stupid.

By the way, welcome to EC :grin:

4. diegon3

Those types of problems are usually seen from a very young age try to make a reward system for yourself for example me I like playing video games if I have a project to work with in the weekend i do half of it on sat. and the rest of that day i rest and play video games then I do the same for the next day etc.
    You have to think what do you like and what is it you would need to accomplish to get it.

5. Paralyzer

Well, it's more of the fact that I can have something infront of me and I'll lose my concentration and not do it... I'm a lot slower than most of my classmates in school now :[

The only thing I'm good at is programming because it's fun..

I also feel a tad bit more socially awkward because I don't get about 90 percent of the jokes that people tell me until I contemplate it for a good extra 30 seconds.. and by then it's too awkward to laugh...

6. The Enigma

The Enigma Guest

I think all teenagers experience this and I wouldn't be so quick to brand something like ADD/ADHD. I think it's a terrible thing we're so quick to medicate people if there is a problem. To me, it's just called being a kid. I don't remember people in the past having to take pills for being childish and wanting to enjoy their time. Lol Well, adults do have anti-suppressants these days...

7. Paralyzer

I know, but it's a crucial point in my life. My Junior year is probably the most important in preparing myself for college. Senior year is filled with filler classes and perhaps a few crucial credits. I can't afford to let time take me from this phase.

8. jcoventry1

have you considered going to speak to a school councillor or your doctor? there may be an underlying problem or it may just be a phase, best to check it out

9. LornTehViking

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I've been having the homework problem this year too. Last year, I started having worse grades (not too bad though, worst was a D, but you have to understand that the teacher was a crazy, and everyone agrees, and the class was Latin so... yeah). But at that time I had mostly A's other than in Latin... Now I've got mostly B's, and my Bio grade fluxuates... Anywhere from B-D... Ahhh.

Anyway, this year I just stopped doing homework. Not even on purpose, I just stopped even realizing that I should be doing it. A lot of times I'm not even doing anything else.

I have no idea what it is. Could just be 'being a teenager'. No idea. :/