1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Bf's Roomate

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by EM68, Mar 10, 2009.

1. EM68

My bf is renting a room from this guy who owns the house. I found out the other day that his roommate is HIV+. I know that highest risk of getting HIV is though sexual contact or sharing needles, and I know he won't be at risk for these. My main question is what is the risk if for instance cuts himself with a knife and my bf cleaned it up or just every day contact and using the same kitchen or bathroom. I really care for my bf and I would I hate to have anything happen to him. Also I know that I will be spending time there with my bf and I am a little bit concerned. I never been around anyone that I know of who is HIV+. I hope I don't sound ignorant.

#1 EM68, Mar 10, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 10, 2009
  2. silas99

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I'm sure KaraBulut will give your super advice on this one....but I'll have a go. Don't worry about sounding ignorant...because there are many incorrect preconceptions about HIV. The most important thing to remember is that it is a virus, which is very unstable when outside the body. It "dies" (viruses arent actually living structures) within a few seconds of leaving a living organism. Despite what people believe...HIV is actually not very contageous. You cannot catch it by holding hands, or touching the same kitchen surfaces, or sharing a drink even. If the roommate cut his hand it would be exceptionally irresponsible for him to get your boyfriend to clean it up (although I dont think that was your point). If your boyfriend was in that situation then he would obviously be cautious....but in all honesty it would be unlikely to contract HIV in that manner. This is because, as I said, the virus is unstable outside the body, and secondly....there still has to be an entry for the virus, an open wound for example.

As long as you dont have a fist fight with the guy then you will be perfectly safe. Dont stress too much. What you dont realise is that there are people walking around you every day with HIV, they dont pose a thread to anyone. Unfortunately the stigma is still very great.

3. LiquidAxis

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Yes, HIV is a very fragile virus, and it is destroyed by contact with the air. This is not true of all virii, in fact the common cold virii are mainly transmitted through the air via respiration.

HIV can still be active outside of the body if it is inside a liquid, so blood and sexual fluids are still dangerous outside of the body. The drying process will destroy the virus, however.

4. Lexington

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Nothing wrong with being ignorant. The problem is choosing to stay ignorant, which you're obviously not doing - you're asking questions. :slight_smile: My info may be a bit out of date, so I'll rely on KaraBulut to correct me where I might be "behind the times".

HIV is transmitted via bodily fluid, most notably blood and semen. This is why unprotected sex and the sharing of needles accounts for the vast majority of HIV transmissions. The HIV virus CAN be transmitted via the mouth, but for a variety of reasons, this appears to be less likely to result in transmission. This is why unprotected anal sex is considered a high-risk behavior, whereas unprotected oral is considered low-risk.

The HIV virus is actually pretty fragile. It does not survive well outside of its natural environment - the bodily fluids. Upon exposure to air, it tends to die pretty quick. Therefore, the odds of catching anything via "cleaning up blood" are extremely remote. Not only would the HIV virus have to survive its exposure to air, but it would have to find an entry point into the person doing the cleaning. If you had an open cut on the hand that was doing the cleaning, then yes, there's a very remote chance that it could find its way in. But it's remote to the extreme.

Using the same kitchen and bathroom poses an extremely minimal risk. Again, the virus would have to survive being out of its natural habitat, and then find a way into the new host body.

Lex

5. EM68

Thanks guys for your res ponces. I do feel a lot better about it.

6. KaraBulut

All correct responses.

It's a very low risk situation, as attested by the many friends, lovers and family members who have cared for those with HIV disease over the years without seroconversion.

7. Poring

Pretty interesting question, I mean, I wouldn't have figured that out too and would have left me wonder for quite a while...

Anyway, mjust like I always say,

Your ignorance has given you wealth

:grin:

8. aslan

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Thanks for this post, I didn't know some of that.

9. Jack2009

Jack2009 Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Wow this clear a bit because I worry about public bathrooms something

But there is still that risk... no matter how small. Personal this might sound rude or worse mean, but I be looking for a new room mate because I don't even want to take a fraction of a risk and complete peace of mind.