1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Blood Test!

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by cjtom, Mar 12, 2009.

1. cjtom

cjtom Guest

I had a blood test done on Monday and my arm has gotten really bruised! I've never had one done before so I don't know if this is supposed to happen and it's been getting worse as the week goes on. I don't really know how to describe it but it's kind of purple and yellow and blue and brown and theres several different bruises and marks. It hurts a little bit too! I don't remember banging into anything or doing anything to cause the bruises and people keep telling me to get it checked out but I dunno!

Any thoughts? :slight_smile:

2. jblack

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I've never had a blood test, but I have given blood several times before:
    If you bend your arm too soon after they remove the needle, you can get a pretty big bruise. Maybe that's all that's happening.

3. Apocalypte

I had similar bruising when I had to get blood tests done a few months ago. It disappeared after a few days, I don't think you've anything to worry about.

4. brasilboy1

I have blood tests done regularly (weekly) for my heart meds. It sounds like your phlebotomist may have nicked or over penetrated the vein. This can cause quite severe bruising. It will take quite a while to go way. If it continues to get worse after a few days or becomes painful, I would recommend going to see your physician.

5. Alex19

u should b fine- the person who took your blood may have missed the vein a little. and u may just b the kind of person who bruises easily.

6. jangel

It happens all the time with me! Just put some ice on it and that will help any pain. Bruises take a few days to appear then a few more to dissappear. If it is all swollen and in tons of pain then go to a doc B/C I can't see it and I am not one. But I do get sore and bruise alot just because my veins are hard to find so they usually dig around. Not pleasant or pretty but it goes away. -Jen

7. KaraBulut

This happens on occasion. Sometimes it is poor technique by the phlebotomist- particularly when they remove the needle before removing the tourniquet. Sometimes it just happens and we're not completely sure why.

The bruise is actually blood trapped under the skin. It takes the body about a week to remove the iron that causes the discoloration- usually it starts as dark blue, fades to a greenish color and then sometimes yellow. But it should be gone within a week.

8. cjtom

cjtom Guest

I thought I should maybe reply about what happened so this thread can be closed.

I showed my college tutor the bruises who sent me to the walk in centre (which is just across the road from college). The nurse there said it looked rather serious, not just because of the discolouration and extent of the bruising but because of the marks I had also. She sent me straight to the Accident and Emergency at the hospital for some urgent blood tests incase it was something else (by this point I was terrified). After waiting an hour for the results she said I was fine and it is just a bruise. It still hurts though and now I'm worried i will get one just as big on the other arm where she took the blood for the tests.

She also said I have wobbley veins! :eusa_danc

So as usual it was nothing! With me it never is, but atleast I got out of a lesson! :thumbsup:

9. The Enigma

The Enigma Guest

:wink: At least you got something good out of it. At least you also didn't get a tetnis shot, god those fuckers hurt for a whole week.

10. cjtom

cjtom Guest

I also found a way to use my big old bruises to get the hot guy to talk to meee :grin:

11. The Enigma

The Enigma Guest

Comparing bruises or showing them off like a badge of honor? :wink: I'll get back to you later tonite and reply to my Desperate Housewife later. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes: Hopefully. Dinner time. Isnt it bed time for you?

12. cjtom

cjtom Guest

I wanted him to be concerned about me! Is that so wronggg? :slight_smile:

And Its like 1am and I am really tired but meh! I was listening and looking through the voice and handwriting thread! :slight_smile:

13. HeavensRejekt

It's totally normal, It just depends on how they do it.

14. cjtom

cjtom Guest

I think they were more worried at the walk in centre because of the petechial rash that also developed because of it! Is that normal also?

15. Maddy

Gender Pronoun:
    They
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I have regular MRIs and I always come out in big bruises where the needle went in. They look kind of impressive, actually.

16. cjtom

cjtom Guest

If it was that I don't think myself and others would have worried so much! From where the needle went in it travelled up and down my arm and was literally like three quarters of my arm that's bruised and rashed! Is rather horrible not to mention shocking! :frowning2: