1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Length of Life

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by drake86, Mar 17, 2009.

1. drake86

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I saw something on TV, on a biased channel, that said that on average gay men live 10 to 20 years less than straight men and that being gay is bad for your health. Is this true? Where does that come from?

2. SAGUY84

SAGUY84 Guest

If it was on any sort of religion channel, its 100% bullshit!

3. Lychee

I highly doubt that this would be true... I mean, who you're attracted to shouldn't impact your life span.

That being said, it's well known that gay teens are more likely to commit suicide than straight ones, so perhaps, the statistical life span is less. Although, I'd say it wouldn't be THAT much less... But who knows...

4. Mirko

Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi there!

I doubt that gay men live 10 to 20 years less than straight men. I think that gay men live as long as straight men, if not longer. It doesn't matter what your sexual orientation is, you can live and have a long life.

Being gay is not bad for your health. Not being yourself and repressing your feelings that you have can be bad for your health/well being. Did they say why is being gay bad for your health?

There are lots of people out there who are against homosexuality and will use any arguments or statistic to make their point. But the important thing for you to know is that homosexuality is not bad and it is just a normal part of you.

In case you are a bit worried, don't be. Know that being gay is absolutely normal and that it will not have a negative impact on your life. (*hug*)

5. silas99

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I can believe that statistic might be correct....but its how they calculated it thats important. They've probably taken data from as far back as say the 70s. What has happened in that time in the US.

Firstly|: Well the Aids epidemic is one. Aids killed many young people prematurely, mostly gay people at the start, so that will automatically bring down the averages. Today treatment for HIV has greatly improved and your risk of catching HIV as a straight person is no less than a gay person (having unprotected sex).

Secondly: Where have they collected their data from? There are many closeted gays in society, and they most definitely are not included in the data.

Thirdly: as someone has already said, suicide rates will bring down the averages.

Fourthly: As a religious channel they have a bias motive. They have a vested interest in convincing people that all gays are sinners, and this is wrong.

Mate, dont feel that you are any more unhealthy than any straight person. Being gay is not bad for your health, dont let this affect you. Just be who you are.

6. Just Adam

drake dont believe it ! there is no reason why a healthy person would die because of their sexuality from health issues.

if they are going back to the 70's :S then there was aids but now were educated there was a great level of violence and sadly may always be some in the world

and teenage suicide due to lack of understanding and support

but these are NOT health issues these are the sickness of society that are slowly beeing treated i agree what makes you ill is not beeing yourself the stress and worry of hideing your life makes u ill. just be healthy be happy use protection and your ok

take care x

7. KaraBulut

There are two studies that always come up in these discussions.

One was a study done by Dr Paul Cameron, a well-known anti-gay religious former psychologist Dr Cameron was expelled from the American Psychological Association in 1983. Dr Cameron works with an organization called the Family Research institute that is known for publishing "studies" that make most professional researchers laugh.

One of my favorite FRI studies concluded that gay sex is so much better than straight sex that if we were to legalize gay sex then no one would have straight sex any more. Because, you know, if gay sex is so much better then why do anything else?

Anytime you hear the words "Dr Paul Cameron" or "Family Research Institute" just know that you're about to hear rubbish.

The other study that the Religious Right cites is a study that was done where a researcher read obituaries of gay men who had died of AIDS and they concluded that for the people in these obituaries, the life expectancy was 20 years less than the average life expectancy for a man. This second study is often cited as further evidence "supporting" Dr Cameron's study.

But let's take a moment to review the second study. The researcher was looking at obituaries... not doing interviews, not looking at medical records, not doing any data collection other than reviewing obituaries. What will every person who has an obituary have in common? What they have in common is that they are all dead.

And if you are studying dead people who had AIDS, would you be surprised to find out that they died at a younger age than expected?

The Religious Right then takes the conclusion of this study which is that "some people who die from AIDS die at a younger age" and they distort it to say that "all gay men have a shorter life expectancy". This assumes that "all gay men have AIDS" and "all persons who die of AIDS are gay". Anyone with common sense can tell that they are distorting poorly done research to come to conclusions that are absurd.

The Religious Right is not known for it's belief in the scientific method and they are notorious for quoting poorly done research or distorting the informaiton from valid research to support their world-view. These are the same people who believe that the earth is 4,000 years old and that man and dinosaurs were on the earth at the same time.

Don't listen to them.

8. Just Adam

thats some good work karabulut :thumbsup:

9. Melissa

That was really very interesting. Thanks for sharing KaraBulut! : )

^ :roflmao: I want to know how they came up with that one!

10. KaraBulut

Well, on more than one occasion, these religious Fundamentalists have been caught doing some "personal research". :roflmao:

#10 KaraBulut, Mar 18, 2009
    Last edited: Mar 18, 2009
  11. TheRoof

:roflmao:
    gay sex rules!