1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Menstural Cup Removal Tips?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Awesome, Sep 16, 2016.

1. Awesome

In college in Massachusetts, from Pennsylvania
    Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hey everyone. I just started using the Divacup today, and I have been having trouble removing it. I can get it out, but not without it hurting. I know that you are supposed to break the suction before pulling it out, but I am having trouble figuring out how. I have tried sticking my finger up there and squishing it to the side to let air through, but it is difficult. Is there an easier way to get rid of the suction to get the cup out? Thank you!

2. Really

From diva up.com:

When you can reach the cup base, give it a gentle squeeze. Once you have squeezed the base to release the air, pull the cup out at a sideways angle. This allows more air to enter the vagina, and it will then be able to be removed easily.

Does this make sense? I don't use one so can't tell.

3. LaEsmeralda

I've been using a menstrual cup for about a year now. What I usually do when I'm removing it is I just stick my finger up to the rim and just push on it until I hear the suction break. Usually the rim will give way under my finger and then I push it back into a c-fold and pull it out. Is your cup quite firm? With a firmer cup it will be harder to break the suction.

Occasionally I get issues when the cup is actually suctioned onto my cervix. Then it can actually hurt a bit when I try to pop the suction at the rim. When that happens I just take hold of the base of the cup, squeeze it and pop it back into the c-fold. This shifts the rim of the cup to break the suction and then it comes out super easy.

It is your first day using the cup. Once you become used to wearing one you'll find out what insertion and removal method works best for you. Every girl's vagina is different too so what works for one might not work as well for another.

4. Awesome

In college in Massachusetts, from Pennsylvania
    Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks for the advice! I have got the hang of taking it out without it hurting.

5. RavenTheRat

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Okay genuine question. How terrifying is it to use one of those?
    Because I hate pads, but I literally have to psych myself up for about 5 minutes before inserting or removing a tampon. They scare me.

6. LaEsmeralda

If you're not comfortable inserting and removing things from your vagina then a cup probably isn't for you. The first time I used mine was pretty bad because it kept popping open before I had properly inserted it, which was SO SORE :tears:

You also have to be comfortable with handling your menstrual blood. It gets all over your hands when you're removing it. And then disposing of it can be messy too.

That being said I love my cup, I've saved so much money with it and I can wear mine for 10 hours at a time which means I'm don't spend my whole period worrying do I have to change my pad every hour or so. Also it's super environmentally friendly - pads and tampons are really really not, unless you're using reusable cloth pads.

But I think you should stick with what works best for you. Cups aren't for everyone. Neither are tampons (I've only worn one once and hated it)

#6 LaEsmeralda, Sep 20, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 20, 2016
  7. blackwolf62782

Out Status:
    Some people
    I wouldnt recommend using a cup if you arent comfortable inserting things. Try looking up the new period panties that are becoming popular if you dislike pads. They seem to be pretty cool.

8. FTMANDGAY

Out Status:
    Not out at all
    Hey ladies, I have been using a cup for years now, and i know i am late to this thread, but I want to share, it is common for it to get popped up there behind the pelvic bone and wedged.

If this happens, before panicking, take your pants off, put your feet quite a bit a ways apart, not splits, but quite far, and squat down. It may feel awkward.
    Now PUSH. as if you have to poop (or give birth if you have done it)

It should dislodge the cup for you.

And you will more than likely have a mess to clean up. but hey, its ok!