1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

High ALT Levels

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Daydreamer1, Sep 24, 2016.

1. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I got my blood work back today to check in on how my cholesterol is doing after getting on a new med regimen. Thankfully my levels have gone from 246 down to 130 (which is in the normal range) and my LDL has gone from 187 down to 80 (which is also in a normal healthy range).

Beyond that, everything is improving--thankfully. But, one thing has me a little freaked out and I'm asking to see if anyone has two cents they want to offer. My ALT (liver enzymes) levels have shot up from 39 to 50 in the span of a month, and the ideal range to be in is 0 - 32 if that puts things into perspective. I'm probably not going to hear back from either of my doctors until Monday, so it's not too far away but I'm just wondering what everyone else thinks.

My life is rather hectic right now, so I don't have time like I used to to work out and get active. And any time I do have, I'm too drained and tired to move. Aside from dieting and exercising, there isn't much else I heard that you can do--and the idea of having to lower my T levels or stop for a while scares the shit out of me. Thanks if anyone can offer any sort of advice, even if it's small.

2. faustian1

That ALT is not life-threatening in a way that wouldn't allow you to wait 'til Monday to get some feedback from a professional.

As you probably know, cholesterol has nearly everything to do with the liver. The reason I am posting here is to ask: What is your diet and health background? I know it's fashionable to put people on statins these days, but you're 22 so I am curious.

#2 faustian1, Sep 24, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 24, 2016
  3. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Lately, I've been trying to up my fruit and veggie intake, along with trying to strictly stick to whole grains and lean meats (though in a perfect world, I'd cut it out of my diet all together). Because of things going on in my life at the moment, I don't have the time I used to to prep wholesome meals, so I've been slacking a bit.

4. faustian1

Thanks. Some people find that decreasing fats and increasing carbohydrate intake will cause LDL and triglyceride levels to increase. If you're testing frequently, try monitoring this.

Anyway, good luck with your doctor. You should get some good feedback there.

5. Daydreamer1

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thanks. I was told that if cutting meat out of your diet isn't an option, then opt for very lean proteins. I wouldn't say I have a problem with that (honestly cutting it out in general for complete non-meat proteins would make me happier), but I'll just take it for now. I'm hoping I get a response by tomorrow.

6. baconpox

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    You have to make time to work out then. It's not going to kill your schedule if you do ten pushups or jumping jacks or whatever periodically, and it'll help you out a lot.