1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Advice on possible performance anxiety with anal sex

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by BranRan12, Sep 25, 2016.

1. BranRan12

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Hoping I did this correctly...I was google searching different ways or methods to help overcome sexual anxiety or I think that is what it is. The guy I am currently with, he and I were finally going to attempt anal sex (I was going to top) and I put the condom on and the erection diminishes and it is like I can't get hard again. It is the second time it has happened. Pretty sure it is because I am in my own head or thinking so, but I have been pretty embarrassed by it. I had even taken 2 testosterone boosters the night before the morning we tried in preparation and because I have been using them on lifting days when working out.

Sorry if this is long, I am typing it as I am thinking. I am able to get hard and such when jerking off and even think about what it would be like to actually top my guy and on the couple of occasions it came to finally getting there, I lose the erection and can't seem to get hard to. Any suggestions or thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

2. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Have you successfully topped before or is this your first time?

3. BranRan12

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I have successfully topped before. Even the last time I had full on sex before the guy I am with now I was able to remain fully erect and topped without any issue. But all in all in the past I have successfully topped.

#3 BranRan12, Sep 26, 2016
    Last edited: Sep 26, 2016
  4. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    There can be quite a few issues going on:

1. Your taking testosterone boosters, anything else your taking that might have a negative side effect? I can not imagine taking a booster just to have sex is such a good idea.
    2. Are you really into the guy you are with?
    3. In the previous times you topped, was it with a boyfriend and were you using protection? Often (and this happens to me), the time between first arousal and having to put a condom on can play with your head and cause you to go soft.
    4. Any other stresses in your life? Getting enough sleep, work, etc?

May want to talk to the doctor whom prescribed you the boosters and see what the doctor has to say.

5. BranRan12

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    The boosters I have I had gotten to use with working out, just mentioned that I had them because they help with blood flow and usually when I do get an erection it is a very solid one. It just happened that when I finally get to having anal sex with the current guy I am with, I got up to go find and put on the condom ad go find the lube. Perhaps you are right on the length of time on first arousal. I put the condom on and started going soft, I even tried jerking myself off to get hard again and it was like nothing was happening. My boyfriend had turned on his side but I couldn't get hard again to begin to top him,

I am into the guy I am with. I was recalling past times, for instance the guy I had topped before the current guy I was with, we used protection and I was able to remain rock hard during those times. This guy liked to be bent over on all fours and I had no problem topping that way.

I feel like I get a good amount of sleep and have been. I have been stressed out by work so I wonder if it may have been that affecting the situation in addition to me getting in my own head, over thinking how anal sex was going to go and be since we finally were going to get to that point together.

6. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    My partner has a prescription for similar boosters, and he has no issues (before and after he started using them).

Seems like you probably have yourself in a bit of a head spiral. Obvisously, the cliche answer is to relax and not over think things; but the cliche is there for a reason.

Have you considered trying to bottom? Doing both and becoming both versatile might help you get your mind off of the current situation.

Finally. May try masturbating with a condom on and see if that helps you relax when you go and put the condom on.

7. stoutdriver79

Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I have a very difficult time staying hard when putting on a condom. I am uncircumcised and it feels really odd when the condom gets between the head and the foreskin, I have had problems my whole life with that, still do.

8. BranRan12

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I had never had any issues at all when using the boosters, it was only up until I got up to put the condom on and my guy was on his side and I could not get hard again. In the past before putting on a condom I never had any problem, but feel like I just got in my own head too much and could not be in the moment because I let all of the other things that did not or should not matter get in the way.

I have tried to bottom in the past and I guess I did not give it much of a chance, Like I try to relax to do it but to me it did not feel really good. I had even bought a vibrating dildo one night to try and I only used it that one time. When it gets there, I actually prefer to top though I did try to bottom before just a couple of times. The guy I am with made it clear that he has no interest in topping and I have been looking forward to topping him. Just need to enjoy the moment and perhaps just get out of my own head. The condom I used I have used before and it is one I seem to like, the Lifestyles Skyn.

9. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    That's a good brand :slight_smile:

Relax a bit more, have more foreplay, don't think about it if you start to feel stressed, keep engaging in foreplay.

10. BranRan12

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I will have to try and remember that about the foreplay and not think and overthink.

11. blackwolf62782

Out Status:
    Some people
    Try keeping your condoms and lube close to your bed. Getting up and needing to find them and the time it takes to put it all on could be a factor. Maybe have him do it? Putting the condom on you means he is touching you and could be something arousing instead of you just rolling it on yourself.

12. BranRan12

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    I will try that; it was a bit of time in between getting up and finding the lube and condoms and putting the condom on. So after I did I tried jerking off with it on and nothing was happening like I couldn't get hard again. And maybe having him put it on may help as well too.

13. OnTheHighway

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am curious, is there anything else you might be thinking about or worried about when you are about to engage? Can you think about what is exactly going through your head and what triggers you going soft specifically?

14. BranRan12

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Just if it's going to be good enough and if I can get hard and stay had enough to, at least that's how I was feeling after I got the lube and condom and put the condom on....if I was going to be able to get hard enough an stay hard enough and that I will hopefully do what I can to make it all feel good an great.

15. elkro

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    One of the things I would recommend if you are in your head and experiencing performance anxiety is to BREATHE! Anxiety is fear based. Fear is about what may happen in the future. If you practice full breathing before and during sex you are likely to be less anxious. Full breathing means breathing into your belly. Breathe in for a count of four and out for a count of four....do that four times and see if you feel any different.

If you are losing your erection, try a different activity for a bit....breathe and see if your erection comes back...

16. Greeneyeverse

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    I am a verse guy right now. On a couple of meetings with a guy I had performance anxiety as well. Some of it was due to being new to gay sex. The guy would try to suck my cock and I just could not get hard. Some of the issue was the guy was much older than I or the guy was a smoker. I just apologized and they would say it is okay. One time I met up with a guy and again he wanted to suck my cock and I could not get hard. He was patient and told me to relax. As I did, my cock got hard and he made me cum. A couple of guys I was going to have sex with and use a condom I just could not get hard at all even getting a BJ.
    The current guy I mess with I had the same issue with him. I could not get hard to top him. I just ended up sucking his cock and finishing him off with jacking him off. A few meetings this occurred but one of them I sucked his cock and then swallowed cum for the first time ever afterwards I just jacked myself off. I did top him eventually bare and it was hot.
    I think if you focus on not getting hard the problem worsens. Just breathe and relax. Let your partner suck your cock to get you hard. I can get hard like this and it makes my erection last much longer as I top a guy.

17. BranRan12

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay

You are totally right. All I have to remind myself to do is just to relax and breathe and not even think about it. If I start thinking like "I hope I get erect and able to stay erect" it is just downhill. But if I just focus on foreplay and not getting hard enough it is like night and day.