1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Adult toys for dummies

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by Sealgirl19, Oct 1, 2016.

1. Sealgirl19

I'm interested in buying a toy but I've never had one. My friends laugh at me for not having one but some of them are pretty expensive and I have no idea of what to look for in a toy. I tried going to my local adult store but most of them are expensive and I don't like to go there often. Anybody got any suggestions for where to look for toys or what to look for when buying one?

2. TheChainedPegasus

Out Status:
    A few people
    I'm not a pro for adult toys but I'll try anyway to help you.

Don't be ashamed to ask for advices in your store, after all, they work there for that.

If you don't want to go to the store, buy one online.

I don't know about materials, prices and other stuffs, but there's already that.

3. LaEsmeralda

LoveHoney products are really good quality and really good value too. It just depends what sort of toy you are after, their own brand basic vibrators can start at about £5 and go up to about £100-200 for the really elaborate 'designer' products - these are usually sex machines and fancy interchangeable vibrators, which probably wouldn't be the best to start out with :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Their packaging is discreet and it means avoiding going into a store and putting sex toys through the till, which I would probably find mortifying.

Why not start with a bullet vibrator? They really small and compact and cheap.

4. Bouldghirl

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    OK Sealgirl - you got here through the Internet so that's your answer. Look them up, research them and choose. I'd give another vote for Lovehoney although my toy of choice is my Little Lelo vibe. Not cheap but wow!!!!

5. Sealgirl19

Thanks I'll look into them.

6. blackwolf62782

Out Status:
    Some people
    I have a rabbit vibrator and it is the single best toy I have ever owned, and I have owned several in the 16 years I have been old enough to buy toys in a sex shop. They come in all kinds of shapes and sizes but the mail feature is that they have a part that penetrates, like a dildo, and a little part at the top that vibrates against your clitoris. It's very nice. So if penetration is something you are into, look into a rabbit.

Also, Lovehoney is a UK based company. I don't know if they ship to the US. And if they did they shipping would probably be outrageous. But there are plenty of US based companies. And if all else fails, there is always Amazon! LOL Yes they sell sex toys, but I dunno if I would buy one off amazon. Really, just look up sex toy sites and then do a little research to find out if they are a good company.

#6 blackwolf62782, Oct 4, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2016
  7. smurf

There is a great video about this on a youtube channel called Sexplanation. Its done by a licensed sex therapist. She is really great and having great information in a fun and accessible way.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jQjGIodD-kk

[YOUTUBE]jQjGIodD-kk[/YOUTUBE]

#7 smurf, Oct 4, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 4, 2016
  8. Shorthaul

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Start small, and use lube. Also, spend a little more; one they last longer and two keep in mind what parts of the body they are used in or around.

Pyrex and silicon are both my go to toy material. Easy to clean and they last, especially pyrex.

Gel and the PVC are usually a chemical mess and many people have allergies to the stuff they are made of. If you go this route, use condoms and take time to clean them.

#8 Shorthaul, Oct 5, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 5, 2016