1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Freezing/too hot body parts

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by HuskyLover, Oct 7, 2016.

1. HuskyLover

For as long as I can remember, I've had moments where my hands and feet would become freezing cold. It wasn't until when I was older that I started to have it pretty much all the time. It's always my hands and my feet, but also sometimes my nose would become extremely cold... while the rest of my body are fine (or maybe even a bit hotter than normal?).

Sometimes it also happens that my hands become too hot instead, but that's not very often. I've also noticed that when they're too cold, the skin of my hands and feet kind of changes appearance and you can see darker and smaller veins across them, and it's like I can feel that the veins are there. While when they're too hot, they become red. Sure I can make them warm again, but as soon as I stop, they go back to being icy cold... Sometimes to the point it actually hurts a tiny tiny bit.

I also freeze much easier in general. I always complain if someone opens a door or a window because it's cold, even if it's during summer.

I've tried to read a bit about it but haven't really found much info about it. I don't have diabetes, and I'm certainly not close to getting diabetes either, and I'm not smoking. It's really weird since my father is the complete opposite... he's always too warm and also finds this weird about me. I did come across something called Raynauds Disease, but I don't know.

Does anybody else have this issue? If so, do you know why? What could be possible causes for this? Can it really be just poor circulation?

#1 HuskyLover, Oct 7, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 7, 2016
  2. killswitch0029

Could be poor circulation to those particular areas. Have you ever had a doctor look into it?

3. YermanTom

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    It is probably something very small but check it out with your Doctor.
    I have a condition called Renaud's. It causes me to have very cold extremities in cold weather. Thankfully the condition is manageable.

If you are concerned about any symptoms you have ask your doctor! The internet can not be trusted to give advice on your individual medical situation.

4. HuskyLover

No, I haven't gone to a doctor with it. I do plan on doing it, some time... but thought I'd try to see if anyone else has the same problem first. Another thing that I've noticed is that sometimes when my hands feel warm, they're actually cold when I touch them.

5. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    If you see discolourisation, you may indeed have Raynaud's, but you should get that checked to be sure (by a professional, that is).

I have to say that my hands and feet are often very cold too, especially in winter. Gloves barely work and, as you state, warming up my hands works for a limited time. Even if I am inside, my hands become cold again when I stop warming them. I tend to blame it on the weather (admittedly, it's not too cold here, but for me it is too cold) and my genes. I don't see discolourisation so I guess I'm just susceptible to feeling cold. In your case, as you describe a change in colour and even veins popping up, you could get it checked. =)

6. B a r e f o o t

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    A few people
    I can't stand the cold at all. In my hands it's poor circulation. In my feet I don't know what it is because 3 years ago I started wearing sandals all the time, indoors and out, except when going out on the coldest days or nights (and I mean really cold or when there's snow deep enough to be above the soles of them). I even wear them in winter when there's not too much snow, and my feet are warmer than with shoes. I think it's because shoes trap moisture and then it freezes whereas with sandals my feet stay dry. But my whole body dislikes cold. Always did but worse as I age. That and I keep the temperature up all the time, like 80F.

7. tyro

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual

It could be many things. Psychological even. How severe it is? If its minor I wouldn't bother seeing a doctor. I get cold sometimes its fairly normal. If its significant than it might be a good idea to see a family medicine practitioner or potentially even a neurologist.

8. HuskyLover

Sometimes it gets to the point where it actually hurts. I also lose the ability to use my hands/feet properly (like I can't use them in normal pace, it's much slower) as they feel like they're frozen.

9. Quem

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    For me, it's not unusual for me hands and feet to hurt. I think the discolourisation is more important, really. If I'm outside with gloves in the winter, my hands can actually become slightly numb (certain tasks become very difficult, such as locking my bike). My feet hurt a bit as well at this very moment, even though I'm wearing socks and the temperature inside the house is normal.

To me, your discolourisation is the thing that's more interesting/special, really. =)

10. anthracite

anthracite Guest

My hands are always cold too. Reasons are that I am underweight and I smoke. Does this apply to you?

11. HuskyLover

I'm not under/overweight and I don't smoke.

12. tyro

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    This isnt something that can be diagnosed on the internet. See a family doctor and he/ she will probably send you to a neurologist.

13. PrettyinPunk

After reading this I'm wondering if I have that disease too. I don't know, I'm a hot bodied person for the most part. I can go out in winter weather with just a hoodie and be ok and people ask me how I'm not freezing to death. However my feet and hands are always very cold. I can wear thick socks and boots and they still can get that way. Most of the time I don't notice how cold they are until the temperature is warmer.

Also it takes forever for my feet and hands to warm up and when they do they sometimes ache, feel numb and tingly. I'm not sure about my feet but when my hands are really cold they turn pale and almost speckled like I have a slight rash and the veins in my hands are more visible.

Another thing that occasionally happens, happened last winter. I was shoveling snow in blizzard weather. I had my winter gear on including thick glove. The gloves were wet enough from the snow that the cold was getting in and effecting my hands. I ended up slipping on ice and landed on my butt and right hand. Immediately I felt incredible pain like someone just took a mallet to my hand. I went inside, and I guess I had landed on my middle finger. Anyway it was dark red and the whole tip was swollen and tight and pulsing. It was both numb and burning, and I couldn't bend my finger. It hadn't been this bad before but if my fingers are cold and I hit them hard enough it stings terribly and they swell.

This whole time I thought this was normal, or does this indeed sound normal to anyone else?

Guess I can bring it up to my doc next time I go.