1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Mental Health: My Continuing Struggle; Can Anyone Relate?

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by TheGreyBetween, Oct 23, 2016.

1. TheGreyBetween

Hopefully I'm putting this in the right place, but with the lack of a mental health forum here, I'm guessing this is the best place for it. Also, this is going to be very long, so if anyone has the patience to read the whole thing to the end, kudos for you. If you don't want to read all of this but just want to see what I'm looking for, skip down to the end paragraph.

Just about two years ago, I had a mental breakdown, a serious mental breakdown. There were a lot of different things that led up to it, so I'll start with that:

In the summer of 2013, I started working full time at a library closer to the city. I knew this job was going to have me in contact with more children than at my old jobs, but it was full time with benefits and I didn't have to work weekends, so I could spend more time with my boyfriend. (I really don't like being around kids very much; more on that later) At the time, I was working two part-time library jobs to make ends meet and pay the rent, but this meant I worked one or two days of the weekend every weekend. Wasn't too fun. I still managed to have a pretty active social life somehow though . . . Anyways, I started working there in August of 2013.

I also moved out of my cozy little apartment and moved in with an acquaintance to a town that would be closer to my job. The apartment was over an hour away, whereas the room I'd rent in his house would be about 30 minutes away. So these are the changes that happened leading up to the breakdown . . . some of them. I was also hoping my boyfriend might ask me to move in, but he did not. I thought maybe he wouldn't like me living with a single male, but he didn't seem to care. Stupid reasons to move in with someone, but there it is. It seemed like it would be an okay fit at the time, too and it was closer to work. So I did it.

It was during this time I also became obsessed with the idea my boyfriend was cheating on me with his close friend who is female. It'd been building for a couple years, ever since my boyfriend and I got serious. (To be honest, I still struggle with this in some ways.) There's a lot I could say about WHY I think this/thought this. There are things with her and their relationship that make me very uncomfortable, but if I really get into it, this post will be even longer so . . . for now, I will just say I was struggling with it. At one point, on a Friday night which was "their night to get together" I called him expecting her to be gone by that point (it was pretty late, but I don't remember how late) and he was snippy on the phone with me and hung up quickly. I got really upset with him, but I left it be and stewed on it. Later he called back and I asked him why he was so snippy and he sorta denied it saying they were watching a movie still at the time. So this just didn't help matters. I started obsessing about it all night and couldn't sleep. I actually drove over there around 11 pm to see if she was still there at his house and I drove around and around by his house several times (I couldn't tell if she was still there or not in the pouring rain.) I think I also went out again at 2 am to see if she was still there, and she wasn't as far as I could tell. Anyways, I mention this to tell you just how obsessed I was with the idea. So I was struggling with that as well.

So the job was very stressful to me. I was a hypersensitive, hypervigilant person. Most of the time, the library was a chaos of parents and kids running around in a small space. My stress and anxiety were on overdrive almost every day for a good portion of the morning and later afternoon. Plus it was a new job, so there was the added stress of that. I had to interact with a lot more kids of all ages more than I was used to at my other jobs, even though I had worked in children's before, they were small libraries with less people in and out, less kids overall. I became overwhelmed really quickly, but I was trapped there. So the thing about kids: not a big fan of kids. Never was, even as a kid myself. I believe they also are a trigger for me in some ways. I didn't have a great childhood, and seeing kids with families reminds me of my own childhood and brings up a great deal of pain for me.

Things with the place I was living also went downhill. My roommate became increasingly messy and didn't clean anything, so I started staying in my room more and more, only coming out to use the bathroom and cook in the kitchen. It became increasingly clear this wasn't going to be a good fit for me, but I was stuck there for the time being.

The obsession with the friend of my boyfriend's grew and grew and led to arguments with my boyfriend. I didn't want to be the one to tell him he had to end his friendship with her, because I didn't think that was fair of me to do. (Basically, I wanted him to decide himself to end it.) But he didn't end it. And I didn't tell him to either, because that's not me. I tried to keep most of my anxiety about his relationship with her to myself, but I didn't like a lot of things about it and I felt his relationship with her got in the way of our relationship. For example, Friday nights were "their" night. I wasn't invited to join them, and neither was her husband (she's married.) I found that really offputting that they spent time alone in his house at night on a Friday no night no less. It's weird because when we first started dating, I didn't really care much about their relationship. I guess because at that time we were just dating, it wasn't serious yet. But once I felt the relationship became more serious and the rules about them seemed so rigid, it started to really worry me that something more than friendship was going on. There are tons of other things I could say about this, too, but then this post will be three times as long.

I was having a lot of trouble sleeping as you can imagine during this time. My moods were all over the place. This went on for months.

Then come February, my car started having a weird mildewy smell in it. I had no idea what was causing it, so I took it into the dealership and they discovered that a huge leak had occurred at the hatchback (was a Prius) that filled the tire well up with water. The water had sat there stagnating for probably a long time before I realized it because it had started to stink. So they fixed it, and detailed it but the car still stank (and probably still does). So I had to deal with a stinky car that made whatever was in it stink too. It was pretty awful. Luckily, I don't have this car anymore now.

One morning at the end of February I just snapped. I had this revelation that my boyfriend was poisoning me and he was molesting the daughter of the woman he worked for. I had no evidence for either, but I had these paranoid thoughts that rang as true for me. I took off early in the morning in my pajamas and drove around and around, scared feeling like there was no safe place for me, and I had to do something to protect the daughter of his boss. I ended up calling a therapist that I'd gone to a few years ago while I was going for my divorce and she told me to go to the emergency room. My boyfriend at this time was trying to call me and find out where I was, but I didn't want to talk to him. I remember watching the faces of all the people driving by me and imagining they were all in states of pain. And I drove around thinking all these weird thoughts about different places I passed. I tried to avoid driving by schools. I ended up parked in my old town where I'd used to live and thought that the people there were meeting for sexual trysts. I was just paranoid and delusional. But it expressed itself as a veil being lifted, and reality rearing it's ugly head. Finally I accepted a call from my boyfriend and he drove to where I was and drove me to the hospital.

We were there for a long time. It was a very surreal time, where everything had meaning and I had to figure out what the signs were trying to tell me. I had to take a pee test. They ended up sending me home with antibiotics for a UTI (which I still doubt I even had) and I was supposed to report to the outpatient mental health clinic in the morning. My boyfriend was there supporting me the whole time, to which I am entirely grateful.

That night, I couldn't sleep. The lights on the ceiling of the cars passing outside seemed to be haunting me. My anxiety was in full force. We live on a busy street and when anxious, I can't ignore the traffic sounds and lights. My boyfriend basically snapped and turned into this evil mean person towards me. He called me his sister's name (the one he doesn't get along with) and it was like I somehow became her. He was yelling at me and threatening me and I just remember being scared. I remember I began puking for no reason. When I confronted him in the morning about what happened, he sorta denied anything had happened. So who knows if I imagined it or what? I don't know at this point. I may have imagined parts of it, but it felt pretty real . . .

The next day I managed to drive myself to the hospital but I quickly deteriorated while in there. Again, everything had meaning. I thought there was surveillance in every room. I thought the food my boyfriend had given me to take there with me was poison. The hallucination happened where the toast he'd given me tasted like sawdust.

Eventually I somehow wandered down to the emergency room again after talking with doctors that seemed afraid of me. I don't know if they sent me down there, or I just made my own way down there. Some of it is a little fuzzy, but I remember some details astonishingly well. When I got there, I called my boyfriend and told him where he was. He was at work, but he got the okay to leave work to join me. Again, we were there a long time. I felt like I was being tested somehow and so was he. I told him I felt like I had Alzheimers. I remember telling a black woman her people were better than we all (meaning white people) made them out to be and that she should be proud. I remember I couldn't understand a lot of what was being said by the doctors and him and it was scary. Eventually I was emitted to the mental health inpatient clinic. It was there, things went from bad to worse. I started hallucinating big time, mostly auditory hallucinations; at one point I was awake but this whole scene was playing out in my head (I could only hear it; like a dream without visuals) I did some pretty embarrassing things during this period. I threw a tray of food at the wall in the room I was assigned basically because I didn't like the side I was on. I don't know if they gave me drugs that made me do this or it happened before they gave me any medication . . . I have a lot of lost memories, a lot of things I can't recall of the first night in the hospital. I remember waking up that first night feeling better and the night nurse who was assigned to watch me giving me a big hug. I remember how great that felt.

I was in the hospital for a week, my boyfriend came every night during visiting hours to see me. He was my rock. He got some of my friends and family to see me. Considering what I was thinking about him, he supported me more than anyone else in my entire life has ever supported me and this was the lowest I'd ever been. After the hospital stint, I was in inpatient care for another week. I was given three meds: risperidone, something that starts with c which I'm no longer on, and lorazepam. I was pretty stable at this point. Luckily I didn't get fired, I used vacation and sick time which I had just gotten as I'd passed my 6 month point to cover it. People at work were worried about me. None of them have any clue what really happened. I've only told one person I work with that I had a psychotic break, but with no details and I only see her on Mondays but I felt I could trust her. There's such a stigma about mental illness that I can't really bring myself to talk about it with anyone including those closest to me.

After I got out, I was a changed person. I didn't care about much anymore. I just went through the motions of getting through the day. This has pretty much continued more or less up until now. I think in some ways it's much worse now than it was then. I'm pretty sure I'm clinically depressed.

I tried weaning myself off the drugs they gave me, but I had a recurrence of psychosis in December of 2015. Again, I was having delusions and paranoia. More delusions though. I don't think I had any auditory hallucinations, though I did have one visual hallucination; I felt this time like I was in spiritual crisis. Some of these things involved my boyfriend, and I'm not sure if he was enabling me in some way by "playing along" or what exactly happened. I ended up in the emergency room again, but this time did not get emitted. I was back on the risperidone as prescribed by my new psychiatrist. They also gave me this blue pill while I was in there, and I have no idea what it was for.

This whole stint made me more depressed. Since then, it's just been downhill. Like I said, I don't really enjoy life anymore. I don't enjoy the things I once used to like like listening to music and even reading. I go out with my friends occasionally, but I don't really feel like it. I'm not close to anyone. The person I'm closest to right now is my therapist, but she's not a traditional therapist and I'm not sure she's really helping me anymore at this point. I did manage last summer to move out of the house I was sharing with the single guy to renting my own place in another nearby town. My parents and grandparents also got together and bought me a car, which was really over the top if you ask me. Very generous. But I was miserable in my new place, as a family with kids moved in upstairs and I wasn't with my boyfriend. I really wanted to be with him. And I didn't want him to be with his female friend anymore. But now, I don't really even care about them all that much. I still think about it from time to time, but I don't even care if he is cheating on me with her or not. Things have changed there, they meet up on Wednesday nights now at her house instead. Sometimes (according to him) her husband is there sometimes he is not. I work late Wednesday nights, so very convenient for them they don't have to bother disinviting me.

In October of last year, I basically did move in with my boyfriend and I've been living here with him ever since, but I still have the apartment and can't really get rid of it. He has never said to me he wants me to live with him all the time or to get rid of the place, and I somehow can't bring myself to do it. I feel like I need it or I will go back to it. So yes, I'm paying rent every month on a place that I'm not living. I know it's stupid. It adds to my depression actually. But then on the other hand, I can't see myself getting rid of it and living here for a long period of time with him. He lives in a huge house that is old and needs constant maintenance inside and out, neither of which we have time for really. He started a new job 6 months ago where he is now working weekends, either Saturday or Sunday, and this too has gotten me depressed.

Every day I can barely get out of bed. I do it, but it takes all I got to do it. I do the bare minimum of things every day to get by. I've stopped cooking altogether. I don't do any regular cleaning. I do the dishes and laundry sometimes. I go to work, get through it barely and then go home. I don't feel any happiness in going home. I drag myself through the day at work and I mostly feel numb. I don't interact with patrons or my coworkers much; sometimes I downright ignore the kids. I don't feel much of anything to be honest with you. Sex? Well, we have it, like a few times a month. My libido and sex drive are almost non-existent. Luckily his is too so this hasn't become a problem yet. I was never really thrilled with our sex life either, but that's another story. The only thing I look forward to is sleep and watching Star Trek with my boyfriend and the kitty we own at night before bed. That's really about it. I know part of it may be a side effect of the meds I'm on now. I am on a different drug then risperidone, it's quetiapine. Risperidone was having some bad physical side effects. Now my psych wants me to try a antidepressant and I'm in agreement with that.

So I joined this group in the hopes of getting some much needed support. One of the things that's happened is that I don't talk to anyone about any of this except my therapist. I try to talk a little about it with my boyfriend, but he isn't always the best person to talk to about things he hasn't experienced himself. I love him, but he always has a way of making the conversation about him and that's not what I'm looking for. I just want someone to listen. It's the same with my friends. I don't have deep relationships with people anymore. My family . . . well, it's complicated with them. But my relationship with my family is even more surfacy. My mother is mentally ill, but instead of being a confidant, we have a very distant relationship. It's actually hardly a relationship. There's really only one aunt and uncle I like and get along with, but they live far away in Ohio. I do blame her a lot for what I've become. I always hoped I wouldn't end up mentally ill myself, but here I am. And it seems maybe worse than hers. I don't have an official diagnosis which is frustrating. Psychosis NOS is what my psych says I have. NOS stands for Not Otherwise Specified. I also suffer from general anxiety and have had depression before as a teenager as well as ADHD (though I doubt that diagnosis). I also suspect I may be borderline, but I'm not sure.

I'm hoping maybe things will change if I go on antidepressants. I know I don't get enough exercise, but I don't want to do anything so it's hard to get motivated. At work, I try to take a half hour walk on my lunch break every day, but that's about it for exercise unless my boyfriend and I do a hike on the weekend. I try to eat right for the most part. I don't have any current creative outlets, and my creativity has really dried up. I'm an artist, so this is sad. I'm also a writer. But I have no desire to either draw or write creatively. Right now I'm basically struggling with mental illness and feeling like I don't belong anywhere. And also feeling like I wish I wasn't here. Not suicidal, but like I wish I wasn't alive. I don't want to hurt myself, as I don't want to feel any pain nor do I want to cause suffering in others by ending my life.

So for those of you who are wondering what this post is all about and what I want to get out of it, I'd like to hear stories about others struggling with mental illness and how you're coping with it, what meds you're on if any, your thoughts on meds. I'm also wondering if anyone has any ideas about a theory that I'm in this place because of what was happening in my life at the time and the stress getting too high. Has that happened to anyone here? I guess I just feel like if I have any sort of psychotic mental illness (like schizophrenia or something similar) it feels like it started very late for me, as I was 33 when the big break happened. Also, for anyone who has had a psychotic episode, is it normal to be able to remember it very clearly? There are parts I really remember vividly and then there's a lot of blank spots too during the night I got emitted to the hospital. I just wish I could get a diagnosis that was definitive. But the thought of being on these drugs the rest of my life and feeling like I feel right now the rest of my life depresses the shit out of me. It also depresses me to realize this relationship may not be going anywhere either ultimately although I've invested four years now, and I'll have to end it and move back to my apartment. It also depresses me when I think I'm stuck in this job that I can't really stand due to all the kids mainly but also the distance I have to travel to commute to it. I used to love working in the library but now . . . So if anyone can relate to being stuck in a job or relationship with no seeming way out or forward, please post your story here. Thanks for reading this far!

2. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I haven't had experience of many of the things you have suffered with but it seems there are various things tugging you in all directions at the moment. At a time when it is actually vital that right now you can get yourself stable and in fairly controlled state of being.

If you have isolated yourself and bottled things up, I wonder if sharing more inner thoughts with a trusted person / friend / colleague would help ease the pressure? This should probably not be your bf. but someone else in life.

If your therapist is nice, but "...not really helping anymore", tell her this. Because she may be able to address things from a different angle. Or discuss with her whether a new therapist - or a different type of therapy - might be helpful.

I think it is vital that the things that can influence your underlying mood are 'set' correctly and suit your current needs. And I mean the meds need to be suited to you. If you do try new ones, and they are not suited, get a review and have the doses adjusted by your psychiatrist, or ask about changing, or combining, meds.

If a short term course of an anxiety meds (benzodiazepam etc) would help then discuss that also.

The big discussion about anxiety in the UK in recent years has been the benefit of "mindfulness meditation". Have you tried this type of meditation or thought of joining a meditation group near where you live or work?

And as you are an artist, painting and drawing can actually be a very therapeutic/ meditative process. It can distract your mind off the obsessive thoughts and gives you control and mental focus. And would support your ultimate aim of "being an artist". Could you get busy with art at home, or in a class. These activities can also widen your social circles.

Art therapy is also regarded well in Europe and that might be another area to think about.

I don't normally read long posts but that was very interesting and well set out ... you may find just using EC is a useful way to get things clearer in your self. I hope you get some interesting and useful replies. (*hug*)

3. Enjel

Enjel Guest

Hi, TheGreyBetween (*hug*) I'm Enjel. How are you doing in there?

As of right now, I can definitely relate to it in some degree despite the relationship & job part.

My whole ordeal has lasted me about half my life.

I'm clinically diagnosed with a mental illness, characterized by hearing voices and having mood swings; I'm on three different types of medication right now.

I've been diagnosed with numerous types of mental and/or emotional disorders in the past.

I have also been admitted into medical and mental hospitals countless times, along with being in and out of group-homes and SLAs (Self-Living-Arrangements) over the course of nearly ten years.

From my perspective, I think therapy paired with medication can only get you so far.

I know someone that is part of the same mental health program that I am in who would say the same when it comes to medication.

I think it's all a matter of a state of mind or a piece of mind that wills you out of being mentally or emotionally disturbed. Being aware of your consciousness if you will; where, judging by your post, it is quite clear that you are which is most of the battle so all isn't lost.

It would be rational to say that once someone has completely lost their cognitive desire to live, external factors can only help them so much from there.

When it comes to mental issues, I suggest reading books on "critical thinking" or "logic." If possible, take a college course on it. It may prove useful when dealing with perplexing ideations.

As for emotional issues, I've always told myself to "let your emotions out in a healthy manner." For instance, play some of your favorite tunes really loud; express your feelings by drawing a picture; or, destroy your anger by playing some tennis.

I've had times where I've felt like my life was a kaleidoscope of dreaded, never-ending nightmares which I'm sure you can relate to.

Sometimes, I found myself all alone; feeling just down-right, disgustingly depressed; on the verge of suicide; however, as long as you have family, friend, and/or contact support as an outlet, you'll get stronger with each passing.

Fill your life with words of inspiration, and use your creativity to breath excitement into it!

I truthfully hope this all helps TheGreyBetween :icon_bigg

Please don't hesitate to contact me if you simply need someone to chat with :thumbsup:

Stay easy (*hug*)

4. YeahpIdk

Hey Grey,

First. I want to say that I'm sorry you're going through this and send you some hugs. I haven't been through many of the things you mention, but I do have generalized anxiety, and there was a period of my life where I became paranoid. We think it was a medication I was on at the time, but I still remember how scary it was. I can also hype situations up and feel out of control when my anxiety is off the charts. It doesn't happen often, and I don't have a breakdown, but I can feel very overwhelmed. I also have been dealing with a chronic medical issue the past year and a half, and have, at times, had suicidal ideation from being in a lot of pain at some points/feeling like I don't exist from being home so long (which is hard to admit, but is the truth) I'm not sure I have much good to add, but here are some things to consider:

• Did you go through a traumatic event prior to the breakdown?
    • Did you start a new medication prior to the breakdown?
    • Did you suffer emotional/physical abuse as a child? If so, do you talk to your therapist about it?
    • Do you discuss possible trauma from your mother's mental illness as a child?
    • Is your boyfriend good for your mental health? I ask because you seem to have a lot of stress surrounding him, and it also seems like your breakdown came around the same time that you were beginning to date him. I also ask because you say that, even though he's been there for you through everything, and it is entirely possible for a mental illness to make you self destructive and self sabotagingly push loved ones away, that he doesn't really talk to you about these things and turns the conversation into himself. This could be totally false, but I'm just trying to think about what you said and look at different sides - is there anyway that your boyfriend is manipulative or emotionally abusive?
    • Have you thought about getting a new therapist? It's so important to have a therapist that you can have extremely honest and open communication with so you can get the help you need and deserve.
    • Have you considered really getting a new job?

I'm not asking these questions for answers. They're questions for you to think about. So definitely do not feel the need to fill in the blanks.

Some things that help my anxiety are breathing exercises. Catching myself when I start having an attack or moment and finding a quiet place to collect myself.

Something that's helped dark thoughts during my issue has been distracting myself with books, movies, shows, being on here (haha - I'm on here a lot. Being home and healing has turned this place into a part of my social life) and just taking things moment by moment. Making sure I keep up hygiene and keeping my space tidy. Since you have a kitty, I'd say cuddle with them extra.

When I had that stint of paranoia, there was a site that had these great questions to ground you back into reality. I can't find the site but found others from a different site that I'm cleaning up a little:

Would other people think my suspicions are realistic?
    What would my best friend say?
    Have I talked to others about my worries?
    Is it possible that I have exaggerated the threat?
    Is there any indisputable evidence for my suspicions?
    Are my worries based on minor events?
    Are my worries based on my feelings rather than indisputable evidence?
    Is it very likely that I would be singled out above anyone else?
    Is there any evidence that runs contrary to my suspicions?
    Do my suspicions persist despite reassurance from others that they are unfounded?

Followed by: The probability that your fears are unrealistic increases the more you feel that:

No one else fully shares your suspicions
    There is no indisputable evidence to support your worries
    There is evidence against your suspicions
    It is unlikely that you would be singled out
    Your fears persist despite reassurance from others
    Your fears are based on feelings and ambiguous events

These type of questions used to be really helpful check points for me.

This is a long shot, but think about taking gluten and soy out of your diet. Strange and probably unhelpful, but Idk. They're touting that as a miracle cure, and even if it's not, maybe it'll be something to focus on and keep your mind busy.

I hope you feel better soon. Just keep taking things moment by moment if you have to. Talk more to your therapist and find a medication that's right for you and doesn't make you feel like a zombie. There are people who do have schizophrenia, and with the right medication, live full happy lives. You just need to get to the bottom of things and then work with it as best as you can. And the EC community is always here for you.

5. TheGreyBetween

Thank you bingostring, Enjel, and YeahpIdk for your replies. And a *hugs* back to you all!

I have semi-isolated myself, but it's been slowly happening for years, ever since I started dating my boyfriend back in 2012. He takes up more of my time and the fact I have a full-time job instead of two part-time jobs where I somehow managed to have more free time. I still try to meet up with my friends a few times a month but as I said, none of my friends and I have a really close relationship. I don't really want to burden any of my friends with stuff they may not want to deal with. I don't feel close enough to anyone in my life right now (even my boyfriend) where I can just talk to them about this freely. The one colleague I confided in about what really happened was a fluke. She's a very private person and I trusted her with my truth, but I can't see myself discussing mental illness with her any more than that. So my therapist is really the only person I talk to about these things. I wish I had someone I could talk to and could relate to what I'm telling them, but I don't. So I am here in the hopes that talking here will help.

I had a possible chance to start seeing someone else for therapy who would also double as my psychiatrist, but it didn't work out. My therapist is very helpful in the sense I get to vent some of what is going on and how I'm feeling though most of the time we seem to focus on things that isn't my immediate problem at the moment. She's not a traditional therapist, but I have worked with her in the past and she was helpful then. To be honest, I don't do a lot of the things she wants me to try. I'm not sure she is the best choice if I do end up with a more serious diagnosis of borderline or schizophrenia. I also pay out of pocket for her as a non-traditional therapist. It's probably more me then her. :^\

I am on a new antipsychotic quetiapine which I've been taking for about two and a half months now. So far it doesn't have the side effects the other antipsychotic had, which is why I went off it in the first place. And next month when I see my psych again, we're going to start on an antidepressant, but I don't know which one as of yet.

I am already taking an anti-anxiety med as needed lorezapam, but I haven't really had to take any lately. Usually I only take it if I can't get to sleep with the quetiapine. I think I'm really on the antipsychotic more or less as a sleep aid (that's sort of how I use it); it sedates me enough where I can fall asleep easily. I have struggled for years with insomnia to one degree or another and if I don't get enough sleep, that's when I seem to be prone to unstable moods, anxiety, and if the stress builds more leads to paranoia, delusions and at the worst point psychosis.

As for mindfulness meditation, I don't seem to be good at meditation. I've tried it on occasion, but I didn't seem to feel anything from it. Maybe I didn't do it long enough or wasn't doing it right. My therapist would be happy if I could get into it! I should try again.

Art and art therapy sounds interesting. I really don't have time or the energy to do things during the week after work, which is part of my problem. But it's something to think about. Part of my problem, and why I suspect I'm depressed, is that I don't feel motivated to do much of anything. Art and creative writing used to be something I did every day practically . . .

Thanks, Enjel for sharing your story about your journey through mental illness. It helps to know I'm not alone in this, that others can relate. I am aware of my state of consciousness right now, but I do believe I have lost the desire to really live life. I am just going through the motions, waiting for my life to be over. I may not be actively suicidal, but maybe I'm passively so. I don't know. I do the bare minimum every day to get through. I feel like the only things I can do to get myself out of this is escape by quitting my job and ending my relationship with my boyfriend and moving back into my apartment. Neither thing I can do easily, and I'm not sure if maybe that's just part of my borderline personality disorder that I suspect I may have. And obviously I can't quit my job without finding another one to replace it because I have bills and rent to pay just like everyone else. I'm afraid I'm going to get at trouble at work again for taking too many sick days. I've taken one today, I just can't deal with the people and all the kids today . . .

YeahpIdk, you touched upon something I think about a lot. I really don't know if he is good for my mental health . . . I don't think he is to be honest. But he did stick by me through the worst period of my life and that means a lot to me. And I do love him, for what that's worth. And he loves me. My breakdown came about two years in to our dating, actually; we started dating in 2012 and the breakdown occurred in 2014. But it was a slow steady decent into madness. Though my boyfriend can be very generous, he can also be narcissistic and possibly manipulative. I sometimes feel like I'm being gaslighted by him. But how much is paranoia and how much of it is reality? I don't know. The few times we've had major arguments were very scary, like the time I described. But I also wasn't in a good frame of mind at the time deep in paranoia and delusions, so it's hard to say how much of my perception was skewed by that. It certainly felt like he was being emotionally abusive at the time. But I also was being abusive, threatening to leave in the middle of the night. I grew up in an emotionally and sometimes physically abusive household so I don't have the best ability to gauge these kinds of things in myself and others at time. If I leave him, I'll have no one though. And that's not a safe situation for me to be in at this time.

Well, today I am off of work as I called in sick. I'm having what I like to call a "mental health" day. I've been struggling at work lately dealing with patrons and kids, more than normal. I thought it was best to just collect my thoughts and work on me today. I have so little time to do things I want to do during the weekday and this Saturday I have to work, but I will have Monday off so at least there's that.

Thanks for everyone's responses, you've given me a lot to think about . . . I'm really glad to have found this place! *big hugs to everyone!*

6. ITKintheknow

ITKintheknow Guest

Sexual Orientation:
    Straight
    no, since mental health/illness imho doesn't exist. it's just a fabrication, and it's just about stuff most people don't do. like i used to visit this dope mental health social worker who was a confessed spiritualist and told me that it's not good not to go to church every Sunday and that believing in feminism is a mental illness, and it's not my right to go to soccer games and i don't deserve fun since i look "smart". haha...well i don't go to church now, i hate religion, i'd like to see mr. spiritualist social worker wherever he is now try and section me.

7. TheGreyBetween

ITKintheknow, I'm not sure what the point of your message is here. You don't believe mental illness exists? That's like saying climate change doesn't exist or the Holocaust didn't happen. Give me a break. It sounds to me like you didn't go to the right therapist regardless of what you believe about it . . . :^\

My therapist is unusual as well, she's a Catholic reverend (a very different branch than the typical obviously as she's a woman and a lesbian ordained in the church) and is deep into spiritual and homeopathic remedies. Sometimes I think I'd do better with a traditional psychologist, but then other times I am grateful for her incites.

She seems to believe mental illness does not get passed on to family members and I totally disagree with her. My mother is mentally ill, diagnosed with bipolar disorder as a teenager and later rediagnosed with PTSD in her 30's. This was a big secret in the family, something we could never talk about with anyone else. There are other mentally ill people on both sides of my family. I know it is passed on, one of the reasons I would never have children (one of the many reasons).

I was always afraid I'd be diagnosed mentally ill, and it has happened. It happened when I was a teenager and first diagnosed with depression, ADHD, and OCD but I was in denial because I did not want to be "like my mother". Now add general anxiety, psychosis nos and possibly other disorders to the mix. Mental illness still creates a big stigma against those who have it. It's not something I really want to talk to about with any of my friends, even those who struggle with their own mental illness, because I feel mine is worse than theirs and they'll still stigmatize me even if they don't do it to my face. I have friends who struggle with depression and ADHD, but I really do hesitate to talk to them about my episodes of breakdown. I can't even really talk to my boyfriend about it and he was there through a lot of it. In some ways when I look back on it, I find it fascinating some of the things I remember, but I also recalled I was scared as shit when it was happening, and I was struggling through doing the most basic of things.

Anyways, I am home right now while my boyfriend is at work as he was called to fill in. One of his colleagues fell and was brought to the hospital. I hope she's going to be all right . . . Taking the time to catch up on the news, Facebook and things here while kitty sleeps in her nest on her favorite chair. All is well.

8. YeahpIdk

Not cool.

Mental health doesn't have to exist in your opinion. It just exists.

Gray, super sorry I didn't come back to this. How are you doing now?

---------- Post added 29th Jan 2017 at 05:42 AM ----------

Grey*

9. Chip

Board Member Admin Team Advisor Full Member

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    The Grey Between, first, I am so sorry that the staff did not catch and remove the post from ITKintheknow. It is flat-out wrong, ignorant, and bigoted. I'd remove the post, but since you and others have commented on it, I think it's better to let it stand and correct the misinformation for the benefit of others.

From reading your description of your sitaution, there's no question that what you experienced was a psychotic break. To me, it sounds like it meets the criteria for schizophrenia, but that's something to discuss with your therapist and psychiatrist.

Many people think that schizophrenia or other psychoses can't occur later in life; this is absolutely untrue. In fact, many people don't experience the symptoms you're describing until their 30s or 40s or later. Sometimes there's a triggering event or series of events, and other times, it just slowly happens over time.

What is clear here is that the experiences you had were debilitating and difficult, and there's definitely a diagnosable mental health condition. And yes, unfortunately, there's still a significant stigma associated with mental illness, but that's becoming less so.

Fortunately, schizophrenia and related disorders can now be managed quite well with medication, though it often takes a number of months and, essentially, trial-and-error to find the right combination of medication that controls the symptoms but doesn't otherwise dull down your ability to experience the world. Many people are living with schizophrenia, but thanks to effective treatment, have no symptoms and live a full and active and normal life, and I'm confident that if you stick with it, you'll be there as well (if you haven't already reached that point.)

If you have a moment, it would be great for you to update us on how things are going.

10. gchal00

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    TheGreyBetween:

You have been through hell and back. I applaud you. That demonstrates true mental fortitude.

You asked for others to share their stories. Mine is minor compared to yours, but we share similarities. I have Generalized anxiety and major clinical depression. I am mid 50's and this was discovered about 20 years ago. I have both a Psychiatrist and a Therapist, who are closely watched by my Primary Care Physician.

My Psych decided to triple the dose of one med, add a brand new one and stop my main depression med and start another new one. Now, I trusted him as a patient of over 20 years. I had horrific hallucinations for a week. I live alone and my family is on the other side of the country. I know you understand the paralysis you experience when you can't distinguish reality from drug reactions or OD. That's why I'm sharing.

Somehow we survived. I learned that I am 100% responsible for what goes in my body. The internet, your personal physician and your pharmacist are excellent references. A psychiatrist prescribes drugs. Sometimes they just blow it, and I am being polite right now. Having aliens come into your home and experiment on you and ghosts touching you because your meds are a disaster is a horror I hope no one else has to endure.

The good thing is you emerged. You survived. A GOOD therapist is crucial and if you question your Psych or meds I suggest a visit to your Primary Care Physician and your Pharmacist. I have learned so much from mine, that I can walk into a doctor's office and leave them speechless.

I 100% agree with Chip and YeahpIdk. Leave that asinine post right there. It is a beacon of utter ignorance that everyone can learn from.

All the Best to you.