1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Antidepressants.

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by loveislove01, Oct 26, 2016.

1. loveislove01

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    For the past 6 or so months, I have been taking an antidepressant and it really hasn't had much effect on me, so I have been looking for another medicine.

I was evaluated by a psychiatrist a week ago, and I didn't like him. He was rude, curt, abrupt and barely listened to me. In the 15 minutes I spent with him he spent the most time trying to figure out if I had a past trauma (which didn't even exist) and often cut me off.

HE prescribed me a 75 mg dose of Effexor (to be raised to 150 in two weeks) usually not prescribed to kids.
    Over the past week, this is what I have observed.
    -my eating, hydrating and sleeping habits may not be perfect, but they've been consistent since September.
    -I've been extremely fatigued. Over the past few days I've already fallen asleep in 3 classes, and I've never slept in class before. I sleep an average of seven hours, ITS always been that way.
    -yesterday I nearly blacked out, I felt very dizzy and week and for a few seconds my vision blacked out and I fell down.
    -I've been feeling extremely weak. I'm not strong by any means, but I have the capacity to do normal tasks, normally. Climbing up the stairs the past week feels like excessive physical excercise for me.
    -I have bad eyesight anyway, so idk if it's an effect, but it's been taking me excessively long for my eyes to focus on things, and generally my eyesight has been way blurrier. I have only noticed this the past week.

2. JonSomebody

Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I've been through what you're dealing with when I was struggling physically and mentally from being raped. I've also went through a couple of psychiatrists whom did come across as rude, curt, abrupt and barely listened to me once I decided to make an attempt to open up about my feelings. In fact, one doctor just came out and told me bluntly that he was very homophobic and it made him very uncomfortable to discuss something that he not only does not believe in but its not of the Christian way. The other doctor would just fall asleep on me because he was a musician on the side and worked the night club circuit at night. I would just sit there and listen to him snore. I finally told him off and he begged me to give him one more chance..I did and he did it again. In the meantime..both of these idiots had prescribed antidepressant medication to me and they did not work. Once I reported this to the new psychiatrist and my general practitioner .. this is when I found out that most of the time..medications do not work initially and they would have to prescribe sometimes several different medications in order to obtain the results that would benefit you. They call this balancing the medications to fit your need. In other words...what you are dealing with in regards to medication is part of the norm so to speak. Therefore, always speak up and let them know what you are experiencing health wise in order for them to be able to diagnose the proper medication to give you the balance that would be efficient for you.

3. Anthemic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Are you overweight? Sorry asking such a rude question, but it may play a factor.
    Do you feel depressed? You can still be depressed without feeling sad; also just curious.

If you don't like your doctor, I would not see him again. I remember seeing a psychologist when I was young; maybe 10 or 11. She was extremely rude and talked down to me as if the way I was feeling was my fault. I told my mom and she never let me go back to that witch. I finally found a psychiatrist that helped me a lot. He prescribed me with Lexapro, and it worked in about a week. I instantly felt at peace mentally and my sadness, panic attacks, and irritability went from a 9 to a 2 on a scale of 1-10. It was like a huge weight had been lifted.

#3 Anthemic, Oct 26, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 26, 2016
  4. Lora

Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    A few people
    Is there any way to change doctor? I don't tolerate bullsh*t and if I am not receiving the proper treatment I am usually upfront about it. Find another doctor who will treat you well and not just another piece of paper to fill into.

5. bingostring

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Gay
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Your psychiatrist sounds rubbish. And lacking empathy - which is the first quality any health professional should have.

Tiredness could be caused by poor quality sleep - which in turn is the depression/ anxiety preventing good deep sleep. If you wake up groggy, and feel tired all the time then this is definitely worth reading up on. Your sleep routine could be improved. Google 'sleep hygiene' which tells you how to improve your sleep habits and what you can do in the hours before going to bed.

Tiredness could also just be your age and because your body is also developing rapidly... but it is just as likely to be depression. Not necessarily the meds.

Effexor is normally quite good but dosage needs to be monitored and if it is not working for you then it may be time to review (see how the 150mg goes) or change?

6. Geek

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Questioning
    Out Status:
    All but family
    Hopefully you're on a PPO and can see someone different.

7. loveislove01

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you for the replies!
    Anthemic- No. I'm 5 foot 3 and I weigh 105.
    And yes. I often feel very low, little motivation, sometimes I don't feel any emotion and it's very unpleasant.

Lora, I am looking around for doctors, Yeah. I don't think I want to go back to him again he really was uncomfortable and lacked caring.

Bingostring- I sleep an average of 7 hours per night and it's always been that way since school started. Unfortunately, between play rehearsals and homework and my regular breakdowns, it's not possible to sleep more. I've always had problems with fatigue but suddenly it feels like it's multiplied..so I don't know.