1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

*URGENT* I Need Help with Coping with Coping with Anxiety. Please.

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by DJHale, Oct 27, 2016.

1. DJHale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hi,

I really need your help with coping with my anxiety... It's been progressively getting worse over the past couple months, and I'm not sure what to do. I've practiced breathing exercises, but they've only been doing so much...

This is urgent, as I can only take it for so long. (I had a horrendous meltdown yesterday in public) I'm afraid that I'll start turning back to my self destructive ways.

Thank you for your help.

2. loveislove01

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Hello! Sometimes art/music can be helpful- it really is to me, personally. When I was having a meltdown, I'd play guitar till my fingers bled.
    Of course, it's more of something I personally like.

Is something particularly calming to you?

What do you mean by self destructive ways?
    If you're referring to self harm, you could try to do less harmful alternatives to that if it comes to it. Keep all sharp objects away from your room, snap a rubber band against your arm, try squeezing an ice cube tightly in your hands. Something that causes an unpleasant sensation but isn't particularly harmful.

Also, very important- have you been able to get therapy, possibly see a psychiatrist?
    Some people cannot afford therapy, and that's unfortunate, but if you can't you can try to find a school counselor- or there are online resources for people needing help. There are crisis text lines, 7cups.com (if you need to vent or need someone to listen).
    Have you also considered the possibility of medication? I used to have crippling anxiety and I no longer do since I've been on medication six months.

Anyway, I'm sorry to hear about how you're doing, I know how difficult these mental issues can be and I really hope you can find what you need before the situation becomes dire.

<3

3. DJHale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    Thank you for replying.

Art and music is helpful. It's been my outlet for about 4 years now. Unfortunately, during this public meltdown, I didn't have access to it, and ironically, it happened at a marching band practice.My parents aren't particularly keen on a meltdown and such. They always yell at me for it happening.

I am referring to self harm. I've been clean for a couple of months now, and keep anything harmful I can, away from me. I have tried the rubber band and ice cube, and it relieves some of the pain, but it doesn't rid my mind of the thoughts that keep swirling around. I've done an exercise that requires me to picture a blackboard and paint it white. That helps quite a bit. But again, I have no constructive outlet to channel my emotions into, and it really just builds up inside of me like a soda bottle you keep shaking.

I have been to counseling for 2 years now, and it helps tremendously. I would probably be much worse right now, without it. I see her about 2 times a month, and I feel pretty great after the session, but that quickly subsides when I get home. As I mentioned before, my parents are very keen on anything to do with my anxiety. I did have medication for a short time, but they deemed it unnecessary after a while and just focused on my depression.

I thank you for your help, and resources, and caring. It brings me to believe that someone may care for me. Thank you.

4. loveislove01

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Bisexual
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I'm happy to hear that you've tried these coping skills. It makes a huge difference, even though it may not always prevent you from doing worse.
    I do understand your struggles with self harm, I myself have relapsed multiple times back into it after being clean for a period of a few months. It's very hard. You're very much not alone in this. Many of us, even in empty closets have gone through this at some point.

It does sound like you get quite a bit of stress from your parents, is that right?
    Outside of your counselor do you have any other supports? Was it your parents who deemed the medicine unneccesary, and how did you feel about it? How long were you on it, did it show any difference?

5. faustian1

Your writing indicates that perhaps your parents are (maybe without realizing it), somewhat fueling your anxiety.

The first thing is, perhaps 2x a month with the therapist isn't sufficient.

The second thing I have to recommend is that you could try doing some work with a therapist who is skilled in the ways of "biofeedback," which is a way to get in touch with your emotions and anxiety, and use certain methods of focusing to reduce the external stimulation and thereby control anxiety. The blackboard exercise you described is just one example of this--there are many more, including the breathing exercises you mentioned. Drugs may work, but there is a down side to those of course.

And the third thing I think you could try is to carefully log what kind of circumstances you are typically in when the anxiety is triggered. Perhaps this is an easy question for you to answer, and then again maybe it isn't. Is there some situational factor that you can point to that sets this off more than others? Anxiety sometimes can be very situational, as opposed to something just free-floating. An example would be someone who is normally relaxed, but who suffers incredible anxiety when taking a test, or talking in front of a group.

The common thread of these suggestions is working with someone nonjudgmental and objective, such as a therapist. Your parents probably don't qualify for this role.

6. DJHale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I get alotof stress from my parents, yes. And I have 2 friends that I can go to for anything. Just yesterday, during my meltdown, one of them found me crumpled in a ball, trying to breathe, and helped me through it. I know that some people don't have anyone to go to, and I am very fortunate to have 2. My psychiatrist actually deemed my medicine unnecessary. I had a medicine for a couple of months, and seemed to be doing fine, but now, its getting worse. I felt as though I didn't need it either.. and wanted to focus on ridding my self of the antidepressants. To this day, I still need them and have been through 5. It's as though my body always finds a way around it.
    I wish that I had that medicine still. I need it desperately...

---------- Post added 27th Oct 2016 at 05:41 AM ----------

@Faustian1
    I am trying to schedule myself for more frequent appointments with my therapists, but my schedule isn't allowing it. Marching Band practices about 4 times a week, and the day we are off, there is still sectionals. :/

I will definitely try to start logging my anxiety and what exactly triggers it. I definitely feel as though this will help significantly.

Thank you for helping me. :slight_smile:

7. faustian1

I think you're lucky to have those friends who are so caring.

Regarding the pressure that your parents impose on you, is there a performance component to it? What I mean by that is such things as academic pressure, musical performance, and so forth. Or is the pressure more of a "get well" kind of prodding? I wonder if anyone has suggested the possibility that you could do some joint counseling with your parents.

Also, if you'd like, write a bit about your musical talents. Are you exceptional in some way, as measured by peer review or academic grades, etc.? I've met a few people of great talent who put themselves under high pressure in a similar way.

I guess I'm trying to get at the question of whether your anxiety is principally social, or performance oriented.

And also, if your anxiety is triggered entirely by situational factors, then perhaps your psychiatrist was right to address this without drugs, preferably. Remember, I don't have training in that field so I am not a good source of any medical advice. But when conditions are perfectly correlated with extrinsic factors only, then often it's more effective to work on reactions to those factors rather than using drugs as a long term solution.

8. DJHale

Gender Pronoun:
    He
    Sexual Orientation:
    Other
    Out Status:
    Out to everyone
    I am indeed very lucky to have my caring friends. :slight_smile:

There is a bit of a performance component to it. I'm the only child, and in my early childhood was always surrounded by my "smart and gifted" friends. I understand that they want me to cultivate my potential, but majority of the time, they compare me to extremely successful people, though I am already pouring 100% into it. They also want me to get better. My dad believes that I am the one that created my depression and anxiety, and therefore can get rid of it myself. The same thought process goes with all of my problems. Joint counseling has been suggested.... sadly, nothing came of it. My dad doesn't want to try it, though he is a big part of my problem. My mother, well, she just breaks down and cries whenever confronted.

As far as my musical talents, I've been involved in music since the age of 3, and started with piano then. Theatre is also involved in my life. I've been in theatre since about 7, and by my second season had started landing leading and second leading roles.. I took a break for awhile when I got to Junior High. I went back to music and joined choir, and took up clarinet. (I also joined Color Guard.) In high school, I got into marching band, but stuck with Color Guard for freshman year, which I picked up quickly. Then sophomore year, I switched to percussion. I've been playing for a year and six months now, and am on the marimba line. I plan to take up cello soon, and get back to choir and piano.

As far as academic performance, I was a star scholar until Junior High. Those were the worst two years of my life. That's when things escalated for me. But since then, I've been fairly average with school. Music has always been my main focus in life, and I put myself to high standards, but within reason. When starting out, I go easy on myself, but as time goes on, I start to crack the whip. I try not to put too much pressure on myself.

I'm not sure if this helps, but you are definitely shining light on my situation.

9. faustian1

Oh yes, it helps a great deal. And congratulations on surviving this far, from a fellow only child and also one who crashed and burned in junior high school, for social reasons.

I've known a few people who were pushed, by their parents (like you have), to be a superior musician. I could never tell if they liked it, really. It appears to me that you might like it quite a lot, but not appreciate the pressure.

And your parents--they are the sort who apparently believe that you can will problems away. If I were them, I'd certainly compare your performance to accomplished artists, but only to gauge just how good you are. It makes no sense to push a child to duplicate what a uniquely talented person did from a very young age, with literally tens of thousands of hours of focus.

You don't have to be world-class, to be accomplished in your own right, either. I am very good at what I do. I have focused on it since the 4th grade, and that's a long time ago. I would do it for free. Doing it for money somehow has diminished the enjoyment, in fact. However, as good as I may be, I am not at that level you'll ever see me on television or in the papers. I know what it's like to be a "nerd," and it sure seems like you might be one too--and hopefully you won't take that as a put down. I am quite proud of it, because without it I might have been very doubtful of my worth as a person. All of us have to be good at something, I think. What good means, is a very big subject indeed.

What you wrote convinces me more that your parents really need to be in counseling with you, but only part of the time. They don't need to hear everything that goes on, between you and your therapist.

As controlling as your parents are, am I to assume they are not part of those 4 people who know about your sexuality? If they can't deal with the slightest shortfall of your talent, then I can only imagine what the rest might do. Is this a problem?

So, now here's another question that you might have to think about a little bit. Is there some other special interest, skill, hobby or study, that you would trade music for if you had 100% power to choose and if there were no other consequences? I'm sure you can see where I'm going with this. I want to make sure you are doing what you're doing, for you and not mainly for your parents' benefit. If you are doing it for you, and they're just an inconvenience with their nagging obsession, then I think that would be easier, than if you really wanted to be, say, a microchip designer.

Here's a word you should meditate on: Empowerment. What I mean is that your parents can push, but you're going to be the final decider of what really gets done. It's seeming to me that your anxiety and adrenaline are coming from anticipating the consequences of disappointing too-high expectations. This is exactly what the joint counseling with your parents probably should best work on.

Are my guesses and intuition with this OK or even close?

#9 faustian1, Oct 27, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2016
  10. Anthemic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Hi! I'm sorry to hear about your anxiety problems. If anyone knows about how horrible anxiety can feel, it's me. I suffered with severe anxiety from age 8 to age 15. What helped me is finally telling my psychologist about what I was anxious about. Telling someone saved my life.

May I ask what you are feeling anxious about?

I agree that your parents are most likely fueling your anxiety. They seem almost neglectful of your feelings and mental health. I can relate because my mom used to get frustrated when I had panic attacks. She would even yell if I didn't eat (I couldn't swallow because my anxiety convinced me that I would choke). I lost a lot of weight and became borderline anorexic. I know my mom was just frustrated, but she really didn't know how to help me cope.

#10 Anthemic, Oct 27, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 27, 2016