1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

Started a new antidepressant; increased libido

Discussion in 'Physical & Sexual Health' started by KayJay, Nov 2, 2016.

1. KayJay

I was recently hospitalized again for suicidal thoughts and things of that nature. I stayed in the psych ward for like a week under forced custody after I had called a crisis line and the police were called. For the past year or so I have been opposed to taking pills for my mood. I've tried countless kinds at different doses through different doctors over the years and nothing works. I wanted talking therapy with a good therapist. They forced me to start a new pill that I've never taken before, while in the hospital I started feeling a lot better, it was great. The thing is that I think it was the structure of being in there and not the pills so far. I'm having greatly increased sex drive to the point that it is bothering me, I didn't notice it while I was in the hospital but since the two days I have been out it's really noticeable. My dad and boyfriend seem to think my mood has been all because of the pills and really want me to keep taking them though. Although the doctor said they usually don't start working until a month or maybe two months in and it hasn't really been that long at all.

I was wondering if anyone else has experienced this? Is it normal? I've always had the opposite effect with these type of medications so it is concerning to me.

2. Anthemic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Is this medicine called Wellbutrin? If so, it's known for causing increased libido. My Lexapro decreased my physical libido (sensation). But Lexapro also started working for me mentally (decreased anxiety, helped with OCD) within a week.

3. KayJay

I've been on Wellbutrin in combo with Cipralex in the past in an effort to quell sexual side effects caused by the Cipralex but the new med I am on is called Venlafaxine. I actually didn't know if I was allowed to name specific meds here or not until you posted, thank you :slight_smile:

4. Anthemic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    Oh, I've named medications before, and I've never had problems. I've never heard of Venlafaxine. Does it help your physical sensation, too?

5. KayJay

If anything I would say it has dulled it a little. The problem is I can't finish it seems no matter what I do. It sort of just compounds on the libido increase problems because I can't even try to make it go away. I will have to talk to my doctor about it for sure.

6. Anthemic

Gender Pronoun:
    She
    Sexual Orientation:
    Lesbian
    Out Status:
    Some people
    I understand how you feel. Most of the time, antidepressants dull the mental aspect of libido. But for me, that's not the case. My mental libido is still incredibly high, but I am unable to have an orgasm or feel much sensation below my pelvis. I do still feel some sensation, but it's not as strong as it used to be. I was given Wellbutrin to help with this issue, but I have not taken it yet.